Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-16-2006, 07:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Pacific Northwest chicks - how are you doing?

I don't know if you guys have seen the news, but the Pacific Northwest was hit by an incredibly powerful wind storm on Thursday night. Tons of trees down, 4 people died, lots of damage and nearly 700K without power.

I lost power around 10:30 pm Thursday night, I heard a huge boom and saw a white light and then all the power went off (I think our transformer exploded or was hit by lighting). Power is still out at home (43 hours without power!) but I have power at work. Yay - hot water, showers, hot coffee, internet, phones, cell phone charging, I love civilization.

The power company website says they have restored power to over 260K - that still leaves a LOT of us without power. I currently don't know anybody with power.

Diet-wise, I'm a mess, pretty much nothing but peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the past 3 meals (I also had 2 huge cookies they were giving away free at the cafeteria at work yesterday, so good, so bad ). I had to toss all the food from my freezer, just killed me to pitch an enormous bag of frozen blueberries that cost around 9 bucks.

With more and more businesses getting power back on, hopefully I can do a little better. Chipotle has power, so I'm going there for dinner. Hopefully, that means the Whole Foods next door has power, so I can pick up some stuff for tomorrow. At work, I will have a frig and a microwave, so I can eat a little better.

I'm trying not to be a big baby, I'm fine, my apartment is fine, my car is fine, all my friends are fine. So my apartment is a little chilly, I ate cookies and I might miss the Survivor finale on Sunday - overall, it's not that bad.

I hope all the rest of you are also doing okay!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:52 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Things are okay here. We lost power for a little over an hour. Branches all over. We lost the screen on one of our window (I found the screen, it was just ripped right off). My Mom had this huge 100ish pound clay vase that smashed - but other then that, not too bad.

My boss lost her power Monday and it didn't come back till Friday night - 6 days she had no power! She had to throw everything away too. Im glad that didn't happen here... I'd be worried my fish would freeze to death.

We got some freak snow/hail but overall there wasn't too much damage the storm caused - the day of the storm we had some water problems and might have to have our floor ripped out Our dishwasher over flowed and then my parents hot water lines (in their BRAND new building) exploded (they might have to have some walls replaced)... but everyone is safe here too

but anyway, it was pretty crazy
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:18 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

we lost power 5-6 times for 2-5 hours each time. my friend got her car totalled by flying debris
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:19 AM   #4  

Angry

My brother-in-law bought about $200 worth of food then lost power. Had to throw it all out when the power came on.
Sexy Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:40 AM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I was terrified of losing my food. I am in a food-coop where once a month we make enough meals for the whole month (dinners) and I had just stocked my freezer the night before the storm. That would have been a lot of money and a lot of work down the drain. I had stuffed everything in the garage freezer and turned the temp to super cold (froze everything in the fridge too!) so I was pretty sure I could take 24 hours without thawing.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #6  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

We survived here too, although I was saddened that they are now blaming 7 deaths on the storm/aftermath. We were pretty lucky to keep power, but it was so dangerous out there!! At work we have a scanner and the number of accidents due to the storm was awful. One girl was hit by a street light that had fallen off the pole, 2 friends of mine were the car ahead and the car behind her. shiver...

Damage wise We lost our privacy fence and about 35 shingles off the roof which can be easily replaced. And Thank God my family remained safe throughout the storm. (We live in Grays Harbor and there was so much damage here it was unreal.)

Prayers to those who lost their lives.....
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:11 PM   #7  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

We were supposed to be hit hard this past weekend. I don't know where the storms went, but we weren't hit very hard at all.

I've been thinking about you a lot. I have a niece and nephew in Renton, WA and a SIL in Bend, Ore. Haven't heard from any of them. I hope they're OK.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Still without power here. Ran into some power guys working on a downed tree by my apartment, they said that power would be out at my place until Wednesday at the earliest. I know that I am very lucky - my car and apartment are fine, all my friends are fine but DAMN it is making it hard to stay onplan. I don't think I've eaten so badly since I started back in July 2004! It seems petty to be worried about power at my apartment or missing salads and tossing out 9.99 bags of frozen blueberries or eating 2 enormous snickerdoodle cookies when people have lost their houses or their lives, so I'm trying to keep it in perspective.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:00 PM   #9  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

I hope you get your power on soon Glory.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

For once my area did fine! Normally our power goes out with the NOTICE of a windstorm.. this time our power didn't even flicker. I remember once our power went out on christmas day from 4am to 6pm, we were also snowed in that day.

Glory - I hope you get your power back soon!

We've had 2 deaths in the Vancouver area that are blamed on this wind storm, a couple with no power turned on a gas powered generator and then died from Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Sad

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:58 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Wow, that's a long time to be without power in an urban area, Glory87! I've heard of that happening in rural areas. I used to live in West Seattle, and I don't ever remember being without power that long, even after the big earthquake in the 60s or the Columbus Day storm, which were before your time, I'm sure. I saw news footage of the floating bridge--scary stuff! Seattle has had a lot of bad weather this year.

I'm glad that everything but your eating plan remained intact. And once things get back to normal, you'll get that back, too. I know I hate disruptions from my routine.

We were exceptionally lucky. We lost a limb off an evergreen tree (landed smack in the middle of the street), but our power only flickered for a few seconds. I swear we were the only neighborhood that didn't lose power.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:26 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh my goodness, I haven't heard about this on the news. How awful. What sad, sad stories.

Glory I hope your power returns soon. What a difficult situation. And so close to the holidays. I would definitely think it might be just a tad difficult to eat the healthiest of foods in this situation. Please try and not concern yourself with that. This is an unavoidable, unplanned situation of which you have zero control over. Before you know it your power will be back on and you'll be able to restock your fridge and freezer with all the healthy foods you've come accostomed to.

Let's just hope that the rest of the winter is free from anymore wicked, wicked storms.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

I know I'm a little late coming to the thread, but, just wanted to share.

We got lucky and didn't lose any power. But, we DID lose power when it snowed... how strange.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:26 AM   #14  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

Default Okay up here

Up here in Lynden! (Small town close to the border)! Everything is okay... we didn't loose power... but the hail was something else! Other than that- the weather has put me back in my workout. I don't drive and am a night person by nature, so I commute via foot or bike at night to my gym. Ever feel like nature is working against you? Heh. There is nothing like being trapped in your home with only reality TV and lasagna to comfort you!
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:31 AM   #15  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

we got another wind warning

I want a snow warning damit!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote