Old 12-12-2006, 05:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default Tips and Low Cal Snacks

I've had a few folks asking me stuff like this lately so I thought I'd lean on you folks.
What do you think? Any little helpful secrets?

Here's one ... when in doubt ... don't eat the whole thing.
two ... step away from the added fat, skip the butter and step away from the bread basket.

Snack? ww crackers and ff cottage cheese.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:05 AM   #2  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I keep low calorie vegetable soup on hand and eat a cup whenever I get really hungry. If I'm in the mood for something crunchy, I put Low calorie Laughing Cow "Garlic & Herb" cheese on celery sticks or a couple of Wasa crisp breads.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 227/153/135

Height: 5'7"

Laughing Cow on a Weight Watchers English muffin ROCKS!
There are a lot of pre-packaged 100 calorie snacks, but there are times when something sweet will set me off on craving more. Sugar-free Jello is good but I only seem to want it when I haven't made it yet I like experimenting with s/f Jello....using diet soda or even green tea in the lemon kind, just for something a little different.
Sugar-free gum is a life saver for me too. It's that stupid oral fixation thing
OnePerDecade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

I have 2 or more "snacks" or "mini-meals" every day, and I try to get a combo of fiber and protein at each snack or meal. For snacks, I usually have:

Fruit & light Cheese stick
Veggies & Hummus
Yogurt & Kashi or fruit
Roasted Chick peas (protein and fiber in one!)
Dried fruit & tea
Canned fish & ww crackers
no sugar hot cocoa & 1 pc dark chocolate

A tip I once read that I have remembered often is: "Every meal has a beginning, middle, and an end." It helps to think about this when I want to keep nibbling, because eventually the meal must end... better to end it when I've had the right amount than when I've had a couple bites too many.

Lindy
SlimLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:02 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I've recently been enjoying Light n Fit yogurts, because my calcium target has been very hard to hit. They have splenda, and are only 60 calories - yes, its processed, but its a good way to get 20% dv of calcium for only 60 cals, so I'm ok with it.

I've also recently created a "snack box" for my cupboard filled with individually packaged snacks from Costco. This includes beef jerky (great for protein, 80-90 cals per single serving package), rice krispie treats (they're pure sugar, I know, but if you need a "treat" its only 90 cals), south beach snack bars which are high fiber/high protein, special k snack bites (90 cals, again, and for some reason super satisfying), and 100 calorie packs. I make a costco run once a month, stock up the box, and use it whenever I need a little treat (because there are very few days when I can't spare 100 calories if I really want a treat).

Fruit is a really big thing for snacks for me. I get a 5-10 lb box of fruit delivered every week from a local organic farm. It is super easy to grab and tastes amazing.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:25 PM   #6  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

My current fav snack in the office is Nestle Low Carb cocoa with mini marshmallows- 35 calories a serving...dunno why the marshmallows make it so much better, but they do!
Another is Imagine soups- they come in a carton, not a can. Broccoli (and cream of chicken, I think) soup is 60 calories for a cup! Also handy for making sauces for veggies or shirataki noodles.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I found my favourite frozen fruit mixture right here in our little town today. I'm going to eat it with cottage cheese. And maybe I'll whiz it with ff soy milk to make a delicious ice cream-like dessert.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:27 PM   #8  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

My everyday snacks are:
  • Fruit, fruit, and more fruit. Generally whatever fruit is in season. I almost always have several varieties washed and ready to eat in the veggie drawer. We're heading into the winter months, so it will probably be apples, asian pears, pineapple or mangos for a while. For the apples I sometimes make a dip out of 2 tbsp NF cream cheese, 1 packet artifical sweetener (or 1 tbsp sugar free Torani syrup) and cinnamon.
  • These Blueberry Fiber Cake things that I get from Trader Joe's. They are only 80 calories per cake and the ingredient list is really short--no artificial preservatives or sweeteners. But you have to keep them in the fridge because they go bad super quick without preservatives. Sometimes I spread a tbsp of NF cream cheese on them.
  • Trader Joe's Non-Fat Greek-Style Yogurt. I usually eat it with berries (it will be frozen raspberries from now til spring) or mango. Sometimes I also throw in a tablespoon or two of wheat germ and/or a tbsp of guava jelly.
  • Low calorie pudding cups (usually in the evening with a cup of tea)
  • One potato chip per day

Other snacks include:
  • An english muffin, usually with NF cream cheese on one half and peanut butter on the other half.
  • Microwave popcorn
  • Laughing cow cheese bites (the wedges are usually too much cheese for me by themselves)
  • Celery and salsa
  • Chile mango slices from Trader Joe's
  • Cinnamon almonds from Trader Joe's
  • Chex mix
  • Mini rice crackers from Trader Joe's
  • Dole Fruit and Yogurt parfaits
  • Soy crisps or mini rice cakes
  • 100 calorie balance bars

I used to eat one energy bar a day but I've pretty much replaced it with the fiber cakes, which I think are better for me.

I don't do the 100 calorie packs--it just never seems like enough food for 100 calories.

I do rely on both sugar-free gum and sugar-free candy when I just need to be eating something but I'm not really hungry.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 227/153/135

Height: 5'7"

Ever since I read that chocolate milk is great for after-workout replenishment, this has been my personal favorite drink/snack. I have 1 or 2 cups skim milk (depending on my intake that day),1 pkg Swiss Miss diet Hot Chocolate (25 cals & extra calcium), a shot of Torani sugarfree chocolate syrup & some ice - throw in in the blender until it's super-frothy & I use a spoon to drink it
My other new fave is calorie free....club soda w/a shot of Torani s.f vanilla syrup. It takes better to me than s/f creme soda.
OnePerDecade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:30 PM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I've been on a bit of a soup kick recently. I've found an all-natural roasted red pepper and tomato soup that comes in a carton and is 100 calories a cup. I can have 2 cups plus some croutons for a big, warm, filling meal for just about 225 calories--not bad at all for a lunch!

I don't really snack like other people do. I eat kinda tiny meals instead of typical snack foods. I can't have the 100-calorie packs in my home because I will innevitably eat multiple instead of just 1 at a time, plus they're not much in the way of nutrition. I find myself eating a lot of:
  • yogurt (Stoneybrook Farms--they are fat free and have no artificial sweeteners, and they seem to have a lot of fruit for the size of the yogurt, which I like since I don't like plain yogurt)
  • a small whole-wheat organic pita (from Trader Joe's - 80 calories per pita) with a slice of Swiss cheese (55 calories per slice) and some Hormel sandwich meat (made with no nitrates/nitrites - about 15 calories per slice)
  • smoothie of small frozen banana (about 93 calories...I buy the bunch with the smallest bananas at the store now whereas I used to look for the biggest bananas ), 1.5 cups skim milk (135 calories), and 2 scoops (about 1/4 cup) vanilla protein powder (80 calories)
  • sandwich of whole-wheat no-sugar-added bread (50 calories per slice), no-sugar-added strawberry spread (25 calories per T), and all-natural no-salt-added peanut butter (90 calories per T)
  • chicken breast (28 calories per raw ounce) with salsa (very few calories), black beans, yellow corn, and a little shredded cheddar cheese on top
As for tips in general, measure, measure, measure! I've discovered that as much as I LOVE melted cheese on many foods, 1/4 cups is plenty (whereas who knows how much I used to use ). Same with peanut butter--even though a "serving" is 2 T, I am just fine with 1 T in almost all cases.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

My tip would be fill up on veggies.

Every day for dinner I have 2 chicken drumsticks in some sort of seasoning/sauce, 2/3-3/4 cups of cooked rice, and about 2 CUPS of broccoli stir-fry frozen veggies that I cook up. I can't even think about eating again after I eat this. I eat dinner around 5:45-6:15, and I can't even imagine eating again before bed (at around 11:30). I have no desire to eat again. It really fills me up.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:09 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

I'm not much of a snacker but if I had to have something sweet, it would definitely be frozen Crystal Light squares. Fill an ice cube tray with the stuff, stick a thick toothpick as it begins to set, and pop them out when you want something sugary. No calories, easy to make, tough to travel with.
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:58 PM   #13  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara D View Post
My tip would be fill up on veggies.
I was going to give that as a tip, too, but I figured it would be quite hypocritical of me since I hate 99% of veggies I really wish I liked them--it would make this journey so much easier if I wouldn't mind crunching on some carrot sticks, celery, tomatoes, peppers, etc., but I can't stand any of them (at least, not without lots of other stuff to hide the flavor--like I can handle small amounts of diced peppers or tomatoes in a dish with pasta, meat, some sort of sauce, etc., but that kinda defeats the purpose ).

Alright, instead of just ranting about how much I hate my own personal taste buds, I'll try to add something constructive--don't be afraid to try new things! I do hate most veggies, but I still keep trying them, Your taste buds do change as you grow older. Heck, I even bought some parsnips today to try since I've never had them before. And I used to hate shrimp! I always said I didn't like it, but that was based on having not liked it the last time I tried it yeeears ago. I started eating shrimp again about 2 weeks ago--just decided I should stop saying I don't like it if I haven't had it in so long. So I bought some, made a great recipe, and have had it 3 times since! Such a great, low-cal way to add protein.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Jillybean: I like veggies on their own, too, but I usually eat my 2 cups of frozen stir-fry veggies smothered in a tomato-based curry sauce w/ the chicken or with a little stir-fry sauce on the side. Yum! I get the curry sauce from Trader Joe's. It's called Curry Simmer Sauce. Good luck with the veggie thing!
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote