Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-15-2006, 06:51 PM   #1  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Not Sore and Sad!

Since there's a whole thread here about how you know when you're a fitness freak, I'm assuming that I've come to the right place!

I got back into working out about 2-3 months ago. I'm currently doing step classes, power classes (barbells) and my own cardio/weight training. I try for to work out 3 or 4 times a week and when I started, of course I was soooo sore. Sometimes I could barely walk.

Now - nothing! Am I still getting a good workout if I'm not sore? Am I crazy for liking a little soreness?

For the step class, I do it a little more high impact when I can to really get my heart rate up and I don't expect to be sore after that but when I do my weight program and the power class, I'm looking for it! I've upped my weights a bit so far but since I've only been doing this a short time, I haven't gotten significantly stronger.

For my own program, someone told me that when I settled in for a bit to just try a bigger weight, even if I couldn't do the same number of reps but sometimes I can't get past three or four so I think I should go back down.

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated!!
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:28 PM   #2  

If you want to lift heavy, then you will do fewer reps. I work in 3 rep ranges- 12-15 reps with lighter weights, 8-12 reps with above medium weights, and 1-8 with heavy weights. When I up the weight, I usually can't do more than 3 so I keep working on that weight until I can do 8. Then it's time to up the weights a bit. This is a long process, because I don't gain strength quickly (especially when life interferes). So if you are only managing 3-4 reps, don't give up; keep working until you can bring the reps up to 8. You are still progressing.

As for the soreness, I get sore when I first increase the weight, or when I go back to lifting after an interruption. After that my body adapts and the soreness disappears. Soreness is not necessarily a sign of a good workout.

Hope this helps...
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:32 PM   #3  
Out there trying

Thanks for the reply northernbelle. Maybe I will give a try to slightly heavier weights, even if I can't do the same number of reps. I'm not looking to bulk up, I just want to be stronger and to see even a little definition for myself. I think if I see the progress, it will be a great motivator.

About the soreness, I guess my body just adapts too. If I haven't worked out in a bit, I'm always sore but then it goes away and I sort of miss it!

If I'm going to do 3 or 4 sets of reps and I'm doing some with my previous weight (so I can do maybe 8-10 reps) and some with a heavier weight (so I can only do 3 or 4 reps), which should I do first? Does it matter?

Thanks again!
Old 12-16-2006, 03:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Don't worry about bulking up. It's not going to happen unless you're taking testosterone. Women often are reluctant to lift heavy because they're afraid of getting bulging muscles, but you won't. The heavier you lift, the stronger you'll get!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Check out the ladies who lift forum for great suggestions to all your questions.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:42 AM   #6  

I usually start with a set of 12 with light weights to warm up the muscle. Then I do 3-4 sets of the heavier medium weights if I am planning a medium workout.

If I am planning on lifting heavy that day, I will do another warmup set of the medium weight, then 3-4 sets of the heavy weight at low reps. With heavy weights, I have to rest a full minute or more in between.

Some people also add an extra set of lighter weights with more reps at the end of the pyramid. That is optional.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:48 AM   #7  
Out there trying

Thanks again...I hope to give it all a try today at the gym.

I'll keep you posted or maybe joing the LWL thread. I'm still new to the weight training thing so I wasn't sure if I would "fit in" over there but I should probably pop in and say hi.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:59 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My interpretation of lack of soreness (even slight) means your body has gotten used to your routine. It doesn't mean you aren't burning calories but that your body has become effecient at doing the exercises that you are doing.

Basically, I think you just need to challenge your body in a new way. You can increase the weight, increase the reps and/or change the exercises that you are doing. If you are doing certain exercises, try some others or mix them up. I believe that most weight lifting programs recommend that you switch your routine every 6 weeks or so. Changing your routine helps your body to keep challenged and I've noticed that I usually have the largest success right after I change an exercise routine that I've been doing for a while.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Everyone is welcome at LWL - just even to read if you're not ready to post! We have everyone there from beginners to personal trainers! It's a TON of information that's great to read when you're getting started. Just jump in and browse.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote