General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 12:23 AM   #1  
It's up to me this time!

Height: 5'3

Smile Biggest Loser Finale

I was absolutely amazed by Eric! What a transformation. What did you all think about it? If that's not inspiration I don't know what is. I know they all had trainers and someone to cook for them but still, it was amazing to see!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:40 AM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

They all looked amazing, especially Erik!!!! I didn't recognize him at first. I can't believe he lost 214 pounds. WOWWWW!

I think next year they should have a percent-muscle category. Some of those guys like Wylie and Marty had SO MUCH muscle that I think they hadn't lost as much as far as the scale was concerned. But I thought they looked healthier than Brian (the $100,000 winner) who looked a little gaunt. And how cute was Poppie?! A little spitfire!

That's a great show. Very inspirational!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:44 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I pretty much sobbed through the whole thing. So great!
Old 12-14-2006, 02:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Oh man so did i. They all did so great.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:10 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Oh, they were AMAZING! I thought Brian looked like a normal "thin" guy, but Jaron looked nearly ill to me--his face and neck seemed to be just shriveling away

Now, my one pet peeve is still that I feel a man will always win the show unless they start choosing heavier female contestants. I mean, a woman starting out at 235, for example, could get down to 120 and still not have lost 50% of her weight, whereas guys like Erik start out so huge that they can lose 50% of their weight (and then some). I'm not saying it's easier in either case, but the deck is immediately stacked against a woman winning when the women are all well under 300 pounds to start, ya know? They don't all even have as much of a percentage to lose as the men, if that makes sense.

But overall, insanely inspirational, especially all the people who never made it to the ranch who still lost 100+ pounds.

It was funny because at the very beginning of the show, before they ever mentioned that one of the final four would not be weighing in, my boyfriend goes, "So what happens if one of the final women gets pregnant when they all go home?"
Old 12-14-2006, 06:30 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm sorry I just gotta get this out of the way. WHY IS NOBODY HELPING POOR CAROLINE RHEA WITH HER CLOTHING??? It's like she picked the worst color, the worst fabric, the worst fit, the worst style. Her shoes didn't match the outfit and she couldn't walk in them. Is it to make the contestants look better? Geez, I just don't get it.

Now to the important stuff.

OMG, OMG that's all I kept saying. I too think they should revamp the show and pick TBL-female and TBL-male.

Kai really surprised me, she lost a lot more then I thought she would. And Heather looked pretty darn good too, pregnant and all.
And how gorgeous was JEnnifer and Amy and yeah that Poppi was a cute little thing.

And how about Ken, unbelivable, and he had his hair tamed to boot. But Marty and Brian - just amazing. But of course the winner was something else, Erik was just, I mean he left me speechless.

Just curious, does anybody have any idea how long this took place over. I think they were at the ranch for 12 weeks, but I'm not sure and then how long was it from the ranch till the finale?

Just an amazing show, incredibly inspirational, I wonder just how people are headed to the gym today for memberships and how many people are revamping their eating habits due to the show. I really, really hope all the contestants keep the weight off.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

This morning on the Today show, Erik said 4 months on the ranch and 4 months at home.

Poppy lost over 50% of her weight, so had she stayed on the ranch, maybe she would been a female winner!
Old 12-14-2006, 11:59 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

It's just so frustrating, I have to remind myself it's "The Biggest Loser" not "The Healthiest Biggest Loser." I seem to recall in the first season, they made a big deal out of percentage of fat loss (dunking the contestants in a tank to get more accurate numbers). Measuring just POUNDS lost is so short sighted - they are penalizing people who build muscle and make themselves healthier and rewarding people who lose fat AND muscle (which definitely does not set anyone up for long term success).

I'm also pretty appalled that they didn't do any follow up from the losers from other seasons (although we did see Matt and Susie during the season). Losing the weight initially is commendable and great, but it's absolutely and completely worthless if you can't keep the weight off. I would have wanted to see the guy from the first season and Dr. Jeff from last year - still healthy, still happy, still maintaining a good weight loss.

I thought the first woman eliminated, Jen, looked amazing. I thought Brian looked a little scary and gaunt, but hey, he was trying to win 100,000 bucks, hopefully he can build a little muscle/regain a little weight to be more healthy going forward (same for Jaron). I had no idea Wylie's first name is Mark! He looked GREAT - loved his celebrity audience - Daphne Zuniga, Carl Lewis, Vivica Fox (apparently he volunteers for a charity that has a lot of celebrity backing).

I thought Erik looked amazing (maybe a little too thin), if he can keep up the weight loss and the no smoking, I think the show did save his life.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

I fully agree with Glory. It should be titled the Biggest But Unhealthiest Loser. During each episode I was annoyed at how the scale number was the only focus while it is perfectly obvious that you need muscle to keep up the loss for good. I think some of these people from the prior show slowed down their metabolism and probably went back to being heavy. Basically, the show focuses on being quick to lose when that is by no means always healthy and on losing any weight, whether fat, bone or muscle, which is ludicrous.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #10  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Something also to keep in mind is that after a huge loss like that you can look pretty gaunt and it takes time for everything to reposition itself. I have pictures like that right after I hit goal where my eyes are sunken in a bit and my cheekbones stuck out a bit more. I bet in a few months they won't have regained anything, but they will look a lot healthier.

I missed the very very end, but the girls were gorgeous! Jennifer especially was just beaming from ear to ear. I also couldn't get over Marty's fascination with his muscles
Old 12-14-2006, 12:46 PM   #11  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

It had to have been more than 4 months at home - Heather was 5 mo pregnant! Even if she got pregnant the instant she walked into the door at home, there would have to have been at least 5 months at home, right? So Erik must have misspoken.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:52 PM   #12  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I read on the BL message board that it happened during that cruise the first month (all rumors, of course ). Could you lose like that even in the first trimester? I don't know.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:32 PM   #13  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

IMO, yes, they are doing it quickly, but they also have constant medical supervision and are doing what we all say to do (eat less, move more). They do extensive weight training, not just cardio, and they do not go below 1200 calories a day (while on the ranch, anyway...can't say for sure what they do on their own at home). I agree that they should focus on some other health benefits besides the number on the scale (although they did make a point a few times of showing that Erik had basically overcome diabetes), but I wouldn't jump to calling them completely unhealthy. I'm sure no matter what the rate of their weight loss, they are much healthier now than when they started. I agree, also, that I would like to see more follow-up on past contestants once the seasons are over. Matt looks like he has put a few pounds back on (not that he's fat or anything, just not as thin as when he won his season).
Old 12-14-2006, 05:07 PM   #14  
Carrie

S/C/G: 196/174.2/150

I read somewhere, don't remember, last season the whole period of time from starting at the ranch to final weigh in was nine months. I don't know if this is true but it is what I read.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:29 PM   #15  
It's up to me this time!

Height: 5'3

I remember hearing they did 10 or 12 weeks at the ranch then went home, and I thought I heard them say last night the whole thing was 8 months so Heather must have gotten pregnant at the ranch...which I can't believe because I don't think she would have been working out so hard when they showed her at home...I remember seeing her crying that she felt so weak and she just couldn't do it anymore when they were showing her working out at home....I don't know how long it took them or exactly how much muscle they have but i'll take it in a heartbeat...lol It has to be so much more healthy than what I have going on right now..lol I would give my boyfriends right and left arm to have Jen's body....lol
Closed Thread