South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 04:02 PM   #1  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Default SBD WITHOUT artificial sweeteners?

Is anyone else doing SBD without using artificial sweeteners? Just curious. Its one of the reasons I say I am "sorta" SB, because I wont use them, and do use small amounts of real sugar occasionally.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:14 PM   #2  

Welcome to the boards ennay.. do you consider "Splenda" artificial or things like Equal and Sweet-n-low (aspartamines?) I use splenda in very small amounts for hot chocolate, tea,coffee. I don't really bake any desserts so I have no real need for it.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:26 PM   #3  
Stinger

S/C/G: 0/0/0

Height: 5'5

Spenda is natural isn't it. I thought is was from a root.

Two Peas
Old 12-12-2006, 04:33 PM   #4  

Splenda is a derivative of natural sugar. So it's from Sugar cane. Stevia is a very sweet herb that is sold as a supplement rather than marketed as a sweetner.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:51 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

splenda is an artificial sweetener. Sugar is one of the ingredients but the chemical process that turns it into splenda is NOT found in nature. Chemically processing to remove 3 hydroxyl groups and replacing them with chlorine molecules pretty much removes the "natural" claim

The "made from sugar so it tastes like sugar" does not make it natural

I consider splenda just as artificial as nutrasweet or aspartame.

Last edited by ennay; 12-12-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:55 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

stevia is natural, but like most herbal "supplements" has had little in the way of studies as to its safety, I dont like the licorice taste that stevia adds.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:49 PM   #7  
Stinger

S/C/G: 0/0/0

Height: 5'5

Thanks for the info.

Ennay will you let me know how that works for you, using sugar occasionally? Thanks

TwoPeas
Old 12-13-2006, 11:04 PM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Two peas - it is working pretty well so far, but it does mean giving up the regular dessert

For me, I find that works better. If I eat A.S's I end up craving sweet, and I dont naturally crave sweet so much, I am more of a "rich" food craver. So after a week of s.f. pudding for dessert, or even the ricotta creme, I end up going berserk wanting the real stuff.

Now I just really limit sweets. I have about 1/2 t brown sugar in my oatmeal and 1 dove dark promise a day. Thats it on a regular basis. With the holidays I have had a cookie here and there and depending on the time of day it hasnt been too bad (night is better than noon). Anyway, so far I am finding fewer cravings this way than the splenda way
Closed Thread