Old 12-02-2006, 10:39 AM   #1  
Thursday Lady

Default Thursday Chatter for December--where's Santa

HO, HO, HO---
This is my favorite holiday of the year. I like to do something fun every single day of December.
If you are new here, please come in and join us. We all want to be healthier, slimmer Chatters.

Let's do something different this time, in honor of all the holidays celebrated this month. Why don't we post favorite recipes.
I'm always wanting something different. Maybe there is something you cook that's native to your area.
What do y'all think???!!!???

Have a safe and happy weekend.
Tina

Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #2  

December already!! I'll have to think about the favorite recipes. I really don't use many recipes, I just dump things together when I make them. Tim wants recipes for different things, so I guess I'll have to actually do some measuring to do that for him. lol

Susan, the temperatures that you had the other day sounds like ours! Today is pretty nice though. The sun is shining, and it is much warmer and less windy than yesterday. We'll add your dad's surgery to our prayers.

Bob called from southern Georgia a while ago. He was standing outside in short sleeves. He is making good time, no traffic problems, and I think he misses me already!!

I need to get busy. I've done nothing today except read, nap, and be on the computer. Our tree is still 1/2 naked, so I'd like to finish it up tonight. I honestly don't know if I'll get the 4 ft. trees up or not. I'm failing in my love of trees. I only have 3 up this year. 1 large and 2 tiny ones. When we moved, I knew that I wouldn't have as much room, so I did sell one of the large trees at the auction. I also threw away one of the tiny ones. It was getting as bad as Charlie Brown's tree. lol

Hope you are all having a great weekend!!
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:06 PM   #3  
Susan

Hi,

Hope everyone has had a great Saturday. It's hard to believe that it's December already. Where has time gone? It's flying by!!!! I love Christmas too.

I think I told you that we got a tree and put it up the weekend before Thanksgiving. First tree in 2 years so I think it's ok that it went up a little early. I've done some shopping via the internet. I don't like getting out in the crowds.

I had a busy day, exercised at 8, hair colored at 10, bone density scan at 12, mammogram at 12:30. Came home thinking I would rest, and Pat was cleaning so I started doing that too.

Tina, I like the idea of recipes. I'll have to think of some too.

Tammy, I wish I put up 2 trees but I don't know where I would put a second one. We just have a big open room with the kitchen & den. We don't have a living room. I probably would have put a small one in Seamus' room.

Where is everyone?
auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:51 PM   #4  
Thursday Lady

"Where is everyone" is right! We miss our members when they don't post in ages!

Susan, I didn't remember about you putting up a tree. I am sooooo glad you did. That continues your healing process. Good for you!

Tammy, I've always liked your tradition of so many trees. Please don't stop it. Do you have a little one just for Kramer? That would be cute.
Smokey had his own fabric, stuffed ornament that he played with. It's going to really hurt, when I see it. (We're putting up our tree next weekend.)

I hope everyone finds this December thread.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:32 AM   #5  
Susan

Morning,
It's beautiful here but a little chilly! I'm going to the gym about 1 for a spin class. I did it last week and loved it. It burned a lot of calories. I'm going to start trying to that a couple of days a week.

Tammy, I agree with Tina, your tradition of putting up the trees is neat. I have always thought that was a neat idea. How many days until retirement?

Tina, I feel like I've made a big step in my grieving with the tree. I was even excited about putting it up. We bought a fake one with lights on it this year. Hopefully it will help my allergies too. But we put it up as soon as we got it. Pat puts it up and then my job is to decorate it.

We've even talked a little about Seamus'. He had Pat's long fingers and toes. We've always said "Pat has monkey toes" and discussed how Seamus had monkey toes like his Daddy. It's really the first time Pat has talked about him. It made me feel good.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:09 PM   #6  

Hello, Happy December!

I had to work this weekend and we had our holiday parties. I am going to work intermittently for the next two weeks. I hope to have the house ready for Santa. Don't want him stepping on barbie shoes or legos in the middle of the night.

I usually put up my New England Village (Dept. 56). But this year I decided not too. I really will get that going next year when DS is five. It's been hard enough with DD using the nativity people in her barbie house.

Susan,
I am glad you were both able to talk about Seamus...I think the tree is a great idea. Angels are an important part of the Christmas Story.

Tina, the recipe thing is a good idea, I will have to think of some.

Tammy, Bob will be 4 hours from me. Hope the Florida traffic doesn't bother him. Is he going down 75?
Mom4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:43 PM   #7  

Susan, I've done shopping online also. Amazon is one of my best friends!! lol By the way, I think it would still be ok to put up a small tree in Seamus's room. I agree with Tina about the healing. It takes time. I am so glad that Pat is talking about him! That is a big step too.

I told Tim today that I don't know if I'll get the 4ft. trees up. He insisted that they have to be up. He said if I don't fell good enough to do it, he'll put them up when he gets home on the 17th. I told him that is so late to put them up, but we'll see. From where I am sitting, I can see the large tree in the dining/living room and the tiny tree on top of the refrigerator. If I lean around the corner, I can see the tiny one on the table in the foyer. Tim's room looks awfully dark, so I think I'll have to get that one up for sure. I do have a large wreath out on the porch that is lit. It was my mother's. It is looking pretty bad since it is so old, but I guess we're the only ones that are close enough to see it. We don't have a tree for Kramer. He keeps sniffing the packages under the tree though.

Dee, I laughed out loud when I read that about the legos. Boy can I relate!! Or I used to anyway!! Legos were Tim's big thing as a little boy. Tim has some buildings that light up, but we don't have them up yet. Not sure we'll get to that. LOL to the nativity people being used in the Barbie house! Too funny!!! We bought Tim a nativity set when he was little. All of the people are children in it. It's pretty cool.

I'll tell Bob to wave in your direction. Yes, he was on 75. It is about 25 minutes from our house, and he just took it all the way south. He may have taken by-passes around a couple of cities, but I'm not sure. His hotel is on Dale-Mabry in Tampa. When you go out the back exit of the hotel, you go about 6 blocks and it's his brother's street.

Bob called earlier today, and I was at Muncie with Tim at the mall! I made some cookies and drove over to give them to Tim and his roommate. We went to the mall and then out to eat at Damons. Yummy!! He won't be home until the 17th. He has exams until the 15th, then he has to work Fri. and Sat. night that weekend.

I have 53 days of school left, but I'll be there much less since I'm only going 3 days a week.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:00 PM   #8  
Susan

Tammy, I might go get a little tree for Seamus' room. Everytime I go in there I think, you know I need to get his comforter hung up. I'm going to hang it up. I sat in the rocking chair in there yesterday morning. I was so comforting. I bought my rocker back in 1988 with money from when my grandmother died. I said "one day I would rock my baby in it and tell him stories about her." Now she is rocking him and tell him stories about his momma.

I feel like I've made major strides in my grieving. I was talking to my doctor about going off my antidepressant and she said "Nope, we'll discuss it in the spring"

I glad that Pat talked a little about him. He doesn't say anything. He is so quiet and reserved about his feelings. What a man!!!!

Dee, I laughed when I read about Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus being in your daughter's barbie house. That is so cute!

Tina, How are you doing my friend?

Pat said tonight "where are my Christmas cookies?" Guess I'll be making them next week. He actually likes the cookies my mom makes! I'll have to tell her. It will tickle her.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:25 PM   #9  

Oh Susan, I am so glad you might get a tree for his room! I have to tell you what I did after my parents passed away. We knew we were going to do remodeling and have an auction there in the spring of '99 and move in after that was all done. I couldn't stand to see the house without a treein Dec. '98, so I put up their huge tree right in the front window. I had it on a timer so it would come on about 5:30 am and go off after it got light out, then it came on again late afternoon and was on until midnight. No one was there, and the place had boxes everywhere, but having the tree up made me feel better. The counselor at the Hospice Grief Group that I went to was thrilled to find out that I did it. She felt that was a big step in the healing since that was our first Christmas without our parents. I know it meant alot to my brothers too, although one never mentioned it to me, but his wife did.

Don't push going off the meds. I've tried it a few times, and it's like a disaster waiting to happen for me. My doctor thought maybe we'll try it again after my retirement is official.

I have to hunt up my sugar cookie recipe. It was my grandma's recipe, and I try to make them every year. Last year I used the Splenda blend for baking, and they turned out great!

I just found some ornaments in the garage! I was in tears yesterday because I thought that that box must have ended up in the auction. It has ornaments from the different places where we've vacationed, so I really didn't want to lose those.

I am planning to put a tree up on the enclosed porch. The wreath has white lights on it out there, so the tree I put out there will have white lights also.

Is is bad for me to say that I don't want to go to school tomorrow? I am just so busy while I'm there. From the time the kids get there until they leave, I'm on the go. I do get lunch, but some days it isn't even 15 minutes. I'm supposed to have a break every day too, but I don't have time for one! I'm the one who made up the schedule, so I can only blame myself. I just want to help these kids as much as I can before I retire.

Sure wish everyone else would post!!!! HINT!!!!
Old 12-03-2006, 09:41 PM   #10  
Susan

Tammy,
That's neat about the tree! You should take the day off tomorrow!!!!! You have the days so take one!
Old 12-03-2006, 09:59 PM   #11  
Thursday Lady

Okay, okay----two of you are talking about recipes. I want to see them here!
Susan, putting up a tree in there would be so great.

Dee, just take a broom and push every toy into a corner and put a chair in front of it.

Tammy, you definitely have our permission to stay home. After all, Bob is gone and someone must stay home to keep Kramer company. so there!!!
I'm so glad you found those ornaments.
And, go ahead and let Tim put up at least one tree when he gets home. It will give him good memories of home.

Maureen, Mimi, Sis, Amy, Jody, Brandy, and the list goes on and on and on....what has everyone done over the weekend. Tina wants to know.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:53 AM   #12  

You guys are very convincing. I just emailed that I won't be at school. It's almost too easy to not go in. No plans to write out for a sub is the best part. I'm sure Kramer would thank you for encouraging me to stay home with him. lol

I decided last night as I was trying to get to sleep, that I'm rearranging the trees. The little one on the refrigerator is going to go to Tim's room. It has always been in his bedroom, so that's where it's going to go. The little one in the foyer is going to go on top of the refrigerator. I'm going to put a 4 ft one in the foyer. I'm putting my mother's candle lights on it, red balls, gold garland, and my crystal ornaments. It is always so pretty. I used to decorate one of my large trees with those, but there isn't room for another large one. Now I have to decide about the porch tree. I have colored lights that I bought. I planned to put clear ones on the porch tree because the wreath out there has clear lights. Wonder if it would look ok if the tree out there had colored lights. Maybe I'll save that tree for Tim to do.

I think I'll go start a load of laundry, and make a list of things to do for today! Thanks for convincing me!!
Old 12-04-2006, 05:20 PM   #13  

Ok. I now have a tree lit up on the porch. I'm not sure what color the lights are! lol Gold? Yellow? Anyway, it looks pretty. Official count: 1 large tree, 2 four ft. trees, 2 two ft. trees. I kept thinking, where are my others? But I know that I threw one away because it looked so yucky, and I had to get rid of the other large one in the auction. Gosh. Only 5 trees this year. Sad, isn't it?

I sure didn't expect to get as much done today as I did, but I'm glad. I did some laundry, and then I started sorting stuff. We've had some boxes in the garage that needed to be sorted. Right now I have junk all of the washer and dryer, but I have pitched a boatload of stuff. I do better when Bob and Tim aren't here. I think they'll both be surprised when they look in the cupboard in the garage. There is actually shelf space in there!!!

Now we need to hit the storage unit and go through that stuff. I know there is a box with books and records in it. I have no idea why we haven't brought that to the house, so tomorrow I plan to get it. I'm capable of putting books on bookshelves. Most of the records are mine, so I plan to go through them and sort them out. A friend of Bob's said he could sell some of them on Ebay for me. Sounds good to me.

Bob called. I think he is ready to come home already. His older brother is driving him crazy. It is a good thing he isn't staying at his house. His other brother (a few years younger than Bob) is living there right now, so he and Bob have been spending some time together. He moved down there last spring.

Water aerobics tonight. Looking forward to it.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:44 PM   #14  
Thursday Lady

Wow, someone named, Tammy, had a very productive day.
Only 5 trees! Well, I guess that'll have to do this year.

I went for my mammogram this afternoon. Ouch!
This was the nicest looking, older lady but, boy, I hope I never have her again. I'm glad this is only once a year.

I'm not hungry tonight. That's a good thing, right.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:32 PM   #15  

LOL It really does sound funny when I say I only have 5 trees. People probably think I'm losing it!!

I need to call and make an appointment for my mammogram! I totally forgot about it!! Thanks for the OUCH reminder.

Not hungry is a good thing! I had a bowl of soup before I went to the Y. I plan to have a small bowl of sugar free ice cream later. That has been in my plans all day.

I get a perm in the morning. I just realized that is probably the reason Bob went to Florida! He hates the smell after I get one.

Sure wish everyone was posting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!