General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #1  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

Default Help me find a good gift!

Hey chickies,
I am a student teacher about to graduate. For the last 12 months, I have been apprenticed to a mentor teacher. I adore her! she has taught me so much, and I really want to get her something memorable. She teaches special education preschool. Here's some info about her:
She is 29.
She has a 2 year old daughter and just had twin baby boys.
She is a Christian and goes to church every week, but isn't in your face about it.
She has no sense of smell, literally. she was born with out one. Flowers, candles, and most foods are pointless, since she can't smell or taste anything.
She doesn't drink coffee, tea, or alcohol. She doesn't smoke.
I've thought about gift certificates, since I know what her favorite clothing stores are, but I'd like to get her something more tangible, something she can look at and use.
What do you guys think? This is hard!
I am grateful for any advice!
Old 12-01-2006, 07:17 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Can I ask what your budget is like? Easier to make suggestions if I have a range to work in...
Old 12-01-2006, 07:46 PM   #3  
Tired of lettuce!

I am a poor college student! I can spend up to 30 ish bucks. I know that sounds horrible, but my university prohibits you from having a job while you are an intern. i've been living off of financial aid for 4 months an dthat is running out, lol!
Old 12-01-2006, 08:41 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

No no no, thats plenty! Its just good to have an idea so we can give you better suggestions.

For that budget, you have plenty of options! I spent PLENTY of time as a poor college student so I understand.

The first ideas that popped into my head - a really nice hardcover book, maybe even a coffee table book...she doesn't need smell/taste to enjoy them. Of course with the new twins, she might not have time to enjoy them!

Personalized or non-personalized stationary sets. You can get personalized stationary at vistaprint.com - you customize a design, add her name, and place your order, and they are fairly inexpensive (you could get 20-30 notecards with envelopes for your budget). Teachers always have to write notes to parents, as well as personal notes, so this can be a great choice. Otherwise, you can go to a store like Papyrus and find a cute stationary set...everyone needs to write notes, despite the advent of email!

Things remembered is another great idea - a picture frame or other engraved item would make a great gift, especially if you have a picture of the two of you to put in it!

What about an ornament that expresses your gratitude? Assuming she has a tree, she'll put it up every year and remember how grateful you were. This one is pretty, or there are plenty more out there:
http://www.christmaspeople.com/chris...hers/19165.asp
Old 12-02-2006, 10:35 AM   #5  
Tired of lettuce!

Thanks mandalinn! What you said about stationary made me remember that she has a wekness for post it notes. I'm sure i could personalize some. Thanks!
Closed Thread