Old 11-13-2006, 03:18 PM   #1  

Default Sonoma Cookbook - recipe reviews

Since I plan on trying several recipes from this book, I thought I'd start a thread for recipes I have tried so the rest of you can get an idea what the book is like... and how tasty the recipes are. Of course, YMMV since we all have different likes and dislikes!

Here we go!!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #2  

Default White Bean and Goat Cheese wraps

I made these on Friday and am having them for lunch today.

I assembled everything but the fresh veggies in the wraps and then put them in the freezer until this morning. Just took it out, put the pack in my lunch bag with the fresh veggies and by the time lunch rolled around it was defrosted. It is sort of chilly here this morning so I decided to warm these up in the microwave. I nuked them for a minute and then stuffed the warm wraps with the veggies. Very good. The only change I made was to use a red pepper sauce instead of red pepper slices since I had the sauce in the fridge and for some reason, red peppers alone both my stomach.

So as I was walking back to my desk, one of my co-workers was walking with me and asked me what smelled so good. I told him and he thought it sounded delicious - goat cheese, white beans and seasonings, in a whole wheat tortilla and then I topped with red pepper sauce and spinach.

This is a very satisfying meal so far. Even though you don't get very much of the bean/cheese filling, when paired with the fresh spinach it is quite good. If you are still nervous about eating fresh spinach, you can substitute arugula or something.

Anyway, I'll make this again for my work lunches. Very GOOD!!
Old 11-14-2006, 12:10 PM   #3  

Default Artichoke Salad - slightly modified

I made the Artichoke Salad recipe from the Sonoma cookbook and wanted to share my impressions with you that might be considering buying the book.

The salad was supposed to have been a cold, raw vegetable salad but since it is rather chilly here I decided to change this up a little and cook up the veggies, using the same seasonings and adding some brown rice to make this a complete side dish. Any grain would work as an addition to this salad. I originally had wanted to add bulgur wheat, but was out of that at home. Anyway, the main ingredients in the salad are artichoke hearts, fennel, fresh tomatoes, onions, garlic and seasonings. I sauted the veggies in a little vegetable stock and then tossed in the cooked brown rice afterwards. It was quite tasty. I had never had fennel before at least not that I can remember and it was pretty good. I thought it would be sort of like celery and it was but had a bit more flavor to it. I'll try this cold when the weather warms up, but other wise this was the perfect compliment to my baked chicken that I had with dinner.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:17 PM   #4  

Default Chicken with Tarragon

Watch this space for a review of this next week. It sounds really Yummy.

Suzanne, so when are you going to start posting your Sonoma recipe reviews?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:02 AM   #5  

Default Chicken Tarragon - modified of course

So I made the Chicken Tarragon recipe from the Sonoma Cookbook this past weekend. It was quite tasty, but like nearly every other recipe out there.. Sonoma recipes as well as others, this recipe did not have enough veggies in it and they missed a golden opportunity to add some. I of course didn't miss the opportunity.

The basic ingredients in this recipe are: Chicken, onions, garlic, tarragon, other spices, sherry vinegar and chicken stock. While this all was very tasty, the sauce really needed veggies to bulk it up. I had a couple of zucchini I sliced very thin that I tossed in. I also tossed in some chopped fresh spinach during the last few minutes of cooking. The only change I made was the sherry vinegar. I used balsamic instead because that is what I had. I am still am sort of leery about using vinegar in recipes after being one of the goobers who tried the Apple Cider diet many years ago. Gawd, that still makes me queasy just thinking about that. Anyway, I am slowly getting over my "vinegaritis" and balsamic has made that very easy. I've reheated this as a leftover and it reheats really well.

I've served this over sprouted wheat noodles as well as tofu Shirataki noodles and both have been good. I liked the tofu noodles better just because I get MORE of them. One ounce of pasta is about the amount I use to spill and that is the amount I served with this dish. You get a lot more tofu noodles for the calories and if you prepare them correctly, it really is no big difference in taste.

I'll make this dish again.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

I was looking at this cookbook in B&N. The recipes look awesome, good enough to serve company in fact. I also like how she tells you how to make it a complete meal for the Wave you are on. Very convenient for those following the diet plan. I think I'm going to buy it.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #7  
ugggg.....

Checked out the book from the Library yesterday--everything looks tasty!!
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:57 PM   #8  

Spiced Baked Custard - Wave 2

I made this tonight. It's pretty much a normal custard of milk, eggs, sweetening and some seasonings. It did take quite a bit longer to cook that the recipe said, but it was pretty good. The sweetning is all splenda and it didn't take on any sort of a weird taste, at least not to me. Each portion is less that 100 calories so its a nice after dinner treat.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

Smile Roasted Salmon

Purchased the Cookbook last week, just tried the Roasted Salmon and Tomatoes for Sunday dinner. Was leary because I am not overly fond of salmon, but it was very tasty, served it with the roasted green beans and tomatoes, goat cheese and olives. Will definately serve again.

Only have tried a few recipies, but they all seem to be very flavorful! Thanks for the help in reviewing some recipies. It makes it easier to choose which ones to try.

Last edited by mamatoots; 01-16-2007 at 02:53 PM. Reason: adding progress bar
mamatoots is offline   Reply With Quote