Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 08:17 AM   #1  
Im not fat im fluffy

S/C/G: 250

Height: 5'3

Default A little something to think about!

Last night on the biggest loser... For their challenge they had to carry weights in the amount of how much they had lost by the week... and they had to run a racetrrack and drop the weights in order of how they lost them. Alot of them they were struggling. I mean, you get used to dropping all this weight and to have to carry it again would be horrible.

I want to get to that point. where if I put on all (in weights) the weight I have lost, i would fall over!
Old 11-30-2006, 09:37 AM   #2  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

I do something similar sometimes; I pick up whatever amount I've lost in my handweights and I carry it around the house for a little while. Upstairs, downstairs, etc.

When you have a lot to lose, I think it's easy to minimize the weight you've lost, "only 20 lbs, only 18 lbs," etc. The don't seem like big numbers, when you've got to lose a lot. But carrying it aroung makes you realize how much weight 20 lbs really is!

And I want to get to that point too, Chelsea!
Old 11-30-2006, 10:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 252/251/145

Height: 5'4"

I was thinking about that too. Watching everyone struggle to carry an additional 50-100 pounds (when they weighed that much just three months earlier) was eye opening! We get so used to the pressure we put on our bodies... but could you imagine how feather-lite we'd feel if we instantly dropped 100lbs?!?!
Old 11-30-2006, 10:20 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I always wondered about this. I mean I was just walking around with 55 pounds more on me. But I could barely lift something that is 55 pounds now and then walk around with it all day - I couldn't. So why was I able to walk around with the 55 pounds that was literally on my body?
Old 11-30-2006, 10:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I know when I carry my 30 pound nephew up the stairs -- I can feel a huge difference in the difficulty of getting up the stairs (and it makes me out of breath as well). I couldn't imagine someone strapping my 135 pounds back on. It would probably knock me to the ground and I couldn't get up. It makes me wonder how I even functioned at that weight.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:36 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I think we are able to function, although for me I was barely functioning, because the weight is distributed over our entire bodies and not concentrated in one particular area. Like if I had that additional 55 pounds just on my arm I probaly couldn't even raise my arm. Does that make any sense?
Old 11-30-2006, 02:44 PM   #7  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Lightbulb

Great point.

The last time I was losing, I always thought of things in terms of how heavy they felt.
Like 1lb blocks of butter, or 20 lb bags of dog food.

I remember how thrilled I was (a year ago) to have the energy to hop up and down if I was excited about something. I remember fitting into a size 14. I remember being able to somewhat gracefully roll over in bed in the middle of the night. I remember running my hand over my belly when I was laying down and it being NEARLY flat, not mounding up like it was before, and is now again. I remember feeling pretty, like I did in my avatar pic, and sexy too.

I know what it's like to have it all piled on again...it's horrible, shameful, infuriating, embarrassing, painful, tiring...and has made me more angry at myself than anything ever before. Don't let it happen to you.

Woahhh..... that just poured out...I don't think I've said those things out loud before...

Lightbulb moment.

Linda
Old 11-30-2006, 03:01 PM   #8  

Linda I know how you feel. I was all gun ho three months ago...I had lost 26 lbs. and felt I was on the right track...and then BAM..... I hit the curve with my personal life...and off the wagon I went. I have gained back 16lbs, and feel really awful about it. I mean I know I could have done worse, and gained it all back...but it's hard to beleive that one little moment of weakness can make me go so off plan..that I can no longer see the road. I am really feeing down today...but reading all these posts makes me feel I am not alone......and you are not alone either....we just need to get back on the wagon and go forth!
Old 11-30-2006, 03:06 PM   #9  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Linda

Once last year I went on holiday with a rucksack instead of my normal case (I was travelling around a bit more than normal so wanted something "easier" to carry). The bag weighed about half the amount of weight I'd lost at that stage, and I really struggled to walk with it for any distance, and I'm fitter than I used to be when I was carrying that around all the time.

The best bit was realising that I could take it off at the end of the journey, and I never had that option with the fat.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Linda, I hope you can love (and forgive) yourself as much as we love you.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:12 PM   #11  
Linda

Thank you so much.

This is turning into a full blown bawl fest It's like getting hit by a truck and now I can't stop crying.

Everybody's online right now...we should hit the chatroom

Linda
Old 11-30-2006, 04:28 PM   #12  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Linda, I'm sure a lot of us have felt what you wrote:

Quote:
I know what it's like to have it all piled on again...it's horrible, shameful, infuriating, embarrassing, painful, tiring...and has made me more angry at myself than anything ever before. Don't let it happen to you.
I've had these thoughts too, and sometimes they get me up off the couch to go out for a walk....and sometimes I'll get a snack and munch, while thinking about how stupid I am.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:17 PM   #13  
Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan View Post
I've had these thoughts too, and sometimes they get me up off the couch to go out for a walk....and sometimes I'll get a snack and munch, while thinking about how stupid I am.

Linda
Old 11-30-2006, 06:59 PM   #14  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hey, Chelsea!

I often pile my handweights into a box and pick it up to remind myself how much extra weight I was carrying! I think that it has been the very best overall motivator for me in maintaining my weight loss. It DOES get me mad, though, when I think that I carried those 50 pounds around for THIRTY YEARS! (I'm mad at myself for carrying these last FIFTY POUNDS around, too!)

On watching The Biggest Loser I was thinking that there would be NO WAY that I would ever be able to RUN with an extra 80 or 90 pounds! I would be hardpressed to even walk with it for a whole mile! I know that the people on the show are overweight and want to get the weight off fast to increase their chances of living a healthier life, but I REALLY question how safe it is to exercise their big bodies so hard and for so long. It just seems extreme to me. I have been a year and a half getting these fifty pounds off.

Good luck on your weight loss journey!

Cheryl
Old 12-01-2006, 04:13 PM   #15  
rethinking myself...

S/C/G: 276/256/175

Height: 5' 11"

Wow... I've lost something like 20 lbs or a little less (I've gained a little back but I stubbornly refuse to change my 3FC stats... I'm getting back there!)

My hand weights way 20 lbs together in their case. That's more than I'd like to carry around.

My suitcase at Thanksgiving weighed 45lbs. For all of you who have lost that much and more... HOLY COW! It was almost all I could do to lug that thing on the train, up the escalator, through the airport. Be proud.

Rockinrobin is right about distribution being key, but it's still a good thing to visualize how much we have accomplished and how much better we will feel when we make it to our goal (however big or small).
Closed Thread