Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-29-2006, 05:20 PM   #1  

Question Are PMS cravings real?

Every month, a day, maybe two days, before my period... I feel like I am starving. It's like I can't get full. Today has been the hardest day for me since I started my new program, and I know I am probably going to get my period tomorrow or Friday. I didn't give in to the cravings for what my brain wanted, but I did add an extra piece of whole wheat bread, tbs of peanut butter, and 1/2 cup of milk to my usual plan. I've only been doing this for about 3 weeks, so this my first lovely experience with TOM on it.

Is my body telling me the truth that it needs more food or energy? Or is it lying just to get that bag of cheetoes?
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:28 PM   #2  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

They are for me! I definitely feel like I need more food right before that TOM. Not sure if this is the right answer, but I force myself to stay within my calories during that time, which means I do often feel hungry. Since I'm on BC and I'm just getting a fake TOM anyway, I can't imagine why I would actually need more food. I just assume it is hormonal and that I don't really need to eat more. But sometimes it's a real stuggle to make to the next meal/snack.

Then I get past it and I wonder why I was having so much trouble!
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:36 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yes, they definitely are!

My stomach will GROWL a lot more, despite eating the same amount of food, before my period. Its not just munchies - its actual HUNGER.

The problem for me is making GOOD choices to fill that hunger when I am PMSing - your body may be telling you that you need FOOD, but it is not telling you that you need cheetos! Way to go on making good choices despite your body calling out for junk food!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

Ahhh so familiar...my post earlier (the hiccup in my day) was all about this situation too! I've had my visitor without warning 3 days early (which i think may be partially caused by my recent change in diet and exercise) and its been all i can do today to not go across the street from my office and get a burrito.... I started thinking about it and I know that it would taste really good and probably hit the spot temporarily but in the end I know it would also make me feel even worse and more bloated in the end!

Its almost time to go home from work so I've packed a healthy heart granola bar in my bag for my long commute and am sticking to plan once i get home no matter how much my stomach growls for the comfort food.

The craving is ridiculous....its the first real one I have had since starting about 3 weeks ago, but my will is stronger than the craving...if I can get through day one the rest is history!
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:22 PM   #5  
Im not fat im fluffy

S/C/G: 250

Height: 5'3

See... i just got mine with FULL FORCE... ever since i got it back after my pregnancy (btw i got it right away) its been uvber heavy. i find i crave ice creammm........i ate somethe last couple days... i blame boredom as well though
Momof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:34 PM   #6  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

All this makes me very glad I have an IUD, and thus don't really get periods anymore.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:05 AM   #7  

Uber insane cravings every month! I just add a couple more teensy veggie/fruit snacks in during the day to keep me honest and keep up with the water intake. I crave ice cream or cheese sticks though.

With PCOS, my periods were rare, so it's almost nice to get the water gain and cravings at the end of each month now. Almost. :P
Celesteral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:20 AM   #8  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

ive never believed this till now... this week... i dont even want to repeat what I ate... but its been bad
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:52 PM   #9  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

My cravings are real. Im just a bottomless pit that wants to eat eat eat and eat. So.. I eat.. ha. I just add extra exercise during that time!
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:54 PM   #10  

The cravings are real indeed but the body doesn't really need more food...just the mind.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:11 PM   #11  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

OMG..... YES, PMS cravings are for real!

You must be a man, or you wouldn't have had to ask!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:36 PM   #12  

I guess I worded my question poorly.. I know I really feel the cravings. I meant does you body really need the extra food?

(looking down.. nope.. definitely not a man LOL )
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:01 PM   #13  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

I don't know if it is a "real need" for you body, but I do know that I know it is coming when I am eating constantly!
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:29 PM   #14  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I stick to my eating plan during PMS/TOM/whatever. I've found that eating the same amount of food I eat on other days, I get physically hungrier (including growling stomach and sometimes headaches, if I let myself go too long) on the days right before my period...so I'd say that my body is physically hungrier, and its not all just in my brain.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:17 PM   #15  
On Hold until 8/07!

S/C/G: 200/160/135

Height: 5'4"

I get the hungrier thing too, and wow does my stomach growl. LOL. It's usually my first sign that it's about that time. I usually eat a bit more...maybe 100-150 calories worth/day for a few days, because I've found that there are enough days I come in below plan over the course of the month to balance it out. I also think the variation is helpful. Dunno if it does anything for my metabolism but it makes me happy even if it doesn't really help physically, you know? Of course, as always, YMMV.
swultragirl is offline   Reply With Quote