Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-18-2006, 02:29 PM   #1  

Default That Classic Problem - "I'll Start Tomorrow"

I want to start eating properly - less junk, basing my diet around good carbs, proteins, fruit/veg and a bit of fat, with **occasional** treats.

I already do 30-60 minutes moderate-high intensity exercise at least 4 days a week, as I have done for years, it's just the eating!

I swear, I am addicted to junk.

The irony is that I am SO well-educated about nutrition. I know exactly what I should eat to be sensibly healthy; but everyday I have a "oh well, screw it, I'm so depressed and stuff anyway, I'll start tomorrow..."

And tomorrow never comes!

help?!
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:57 PM   #2  

Start by making a shopping list that doesn't include junk. Substitute the better choices. Then do your shopping from the list only!
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 156/133/130

Height: 5'2"

I'm not a big junk food person, but I am a fast food freak . I know the right things to eat and what I need to do but I fight with this all the time, and all I can tell you is to just try to make the healthier choice. That's what I try to do. Sometimes I'm sucessful and sometimes I fail but I just keep plugging along. I figure If I eat well most of the time, my little slips won't be so bad . I'm losing slowly but surely and I'm sure you will too.

Best of luck!
abbyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 09:55 PM   #4  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Cousin:

What has really helped me is telling myself this is a healthy way of eating and that I am NOT on a diet. I am cal counting and exercising and trying to make alot of good choices as far as food goes. I still allow myself to go out for a burger and fries or a nacho bell grande once a week. I eat alot of chicken, veggies, fruits and whole grains plus other lean meats.
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:38 AM   #5  

I've stalled out on my diet a few times. But when I realize this is a problem, I tell myself I'm back on RIGHT NOW. Not tomorrow, not Monday, but right this very second. Go ahead, say it. Mean it. Procrastination is a choice.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

I got off track for MONTHS. Then I started gaining (8lbs) back. OH NO! Don't screw my hard work. So this week I wasn't sure I was committed yet. SO I started with a journal. (Change One Theory type idea). I said, I just want to know what I'm eating and where my pitfalls are (I was denying it was the 10 pieces of chocolate daily..lmbo). It's funny because not only did I lose 3lbs of that weight this week, but all it took was doing something. I wasn't even back on full scale, just start somewhere. Last night I went shopping. GASP, I naturally picked some healthier foods. Last night I came home wanted a snack. GASP, I made some asparagus (w/other veggies) stir fry. Umm..I may be in denial, but it looks like I'm getting more and more committed every day. BTW, the first 2 days of my journal, I ate between 2200-3000 calories! My maintence is 1800 and my losing is 1500.

I started out saying..I'm not gonna diet. I'm burned out. I will, however, start a journal again so I can remove obvious pitfalls. Then because I have developed those habits before, it was easy to keep going. I'm not fully there, but I am learning that it's getting started that is the hardest part. The rest will fall into place. (Staying the course isn't hard until you hit burn out stage then it is **** sometimes. Don't get off though becuase it is even harder to come back.).
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm going to second clearing out the junk. If you only have good foods to choose from ....
And the importance of tracking. I think you'll be less likely to eat something horrible if you know you have to document it somewhere
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:06 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I know that all bodies are unique, so what works for one may not necessarily work for another and all that good stuff, but are you aware that at 118 pounds (the goal you have listed) at 5'7" (the height you have listed), you will technically be pretty underweight? 140 is smack in the healthy range for your height (with 130 being ideal even for a small frame). Not trying to harp on you or anything--just don't like to see anyone aim for unrealistic or dangerous goals
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:42 PM   #9  
Is too long. I sum up.

S/C/G: 240/229.5/140?

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
And the importance of tracking. I think you'll be less likely to eat something horrible if you know you have to document it somewhere
This is so true for me. My little computer program can be so judgmental!

Also, I find that I look at what I've eaten and say something like, "I didn't get enough fiber today. So if I eat anything at all, it has to be something with lots of fiber." Narrowing down my choices like that really works to keep me from deciding that I'll just eat anything that sounds good.
Eiluj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:14 PM   #10  

Lol, my target is very slim, I agree, but I think it'll be ok :-)

I don't do the shopping in my house, and when my mom does it, I tend to contribute "Tesco Healthy Living Ready Meals" and that's it.

it's not that I don't LIKE fruit and vegetables; I just end up feeling more bloated somehow when I eat "properly" than when I pick at junk food. I hope it'll resolve itself in time/with practice.

I did use to keep a journal, but I'd always rebel against it - I have authority issues!
Thank you for all responses
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:25 PM   #11  
Stinger

S/C/G: 0/0/0

Height: 5'5

I didn't start tomorrow. I started that night
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote