Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-17-2006, 08:15 PM   #1  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Weird...craving but yet not craving...

Okay, so the past 24 hours or so have been exceedingly stressful for me. It's my own fault, really; I put off working on a project and quite successfully forgot all about it until yesterday, when I remembered I had to have a 5-7 minute presentation ready for my 8 AM class today. So, poof, off to the library, and a 2-hr break for choir practice, then home and to work. And I took a nap from 1 AM to 3 AM, got back up, and kept working. I made it by deadline, albeit just barely.

The other thing is, with all this, I barely had time to eat. Until this afternoon, the last "real" meal I had was a quick half-dinner at 10 PM last night after choir (a chunk of reheated lasagna). Now normally, the human body doesn't NEED to eat overnight, since it's normally asleep and not consuming very much. But I was awake almost the whole night, and by 6 AM I was STARVING. But I couldn't take the time to eat. I scarfed half a Nutrigrain bar in my car on my way to campus to give the presentation, came home, and promptly fell asleep for a few hours. When I woke I made myself a pastaroni (it's my comfort food) feeling that I'd earned the right to a little food comfort, and that it wasn't too bad since I was already way low on calories for the day.

Now I'm wrestling with something else. I have this 7-11 Latte of Doom concoction that I make at the 7-11 that's a few blocks from my apartment. It involves the cappucino machines, french vanilla cappucino, extra-dark hot chocolate, 2 dulce de leche creamers, and a handful or two of mini marshmallows. It's HORRIBLE for me. Might as well IV a couple kilos of sugar, right? But it's hot, and it's tasty, and it's another one of my comfort things.

And I kinda want one. I mean, it sounds really tasty. And yet...my body doesn't want one. Like, in my head, I'm picturing it and going "That sounds so good!"...but my body's just kinda going "Meh. Doesn't sound that great to me, but whatever."

Has anyone else had this before? I just don't know which way to leap. Yes, it'd be better for me if I didn't have it. But I haven't had one in months, and I miss it, and I do want one. It just somehow in some other part of me doesn't sound so good.

What the heck is going on? Have you guys ever had something like this?
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

I think so. Like you really want it but not enough to exert the energy to get up and go get it?

I've actually saved myself a lot of calories being too lazy to get up and walk all the way to kitchen.

If you didn't have time to eat, you probably didn't have time to drink, either. Get a big glass of ice water. Make yourself drink all of it before you try to make a decision about the LOD. If you still want one after hoarking down a giant glass of water, you should get a very small one.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:58 PM   #3  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

You know, I think that's what it is. If I could just go downstairs to the kitchen and make one, I totally would. But I don't feel like walking the three blocks to 7-11, or even getting in my car and driving (cause that's just a total waste of gas, lol). Yay laziness points.

I kept relatively well-hydrated; I had a huge bottle of water on my desk and in between taking notes I'd reach over and get a drink. Went through about a liter in the course of the night.

But I like your strategy. I'm going to have another bottle of water, and if I still want it after that, I'll walk. If not, I'll just make myself a glass of hot cranberry cider to fill the hot-drink craving (cause I think that's what a lot of it is). Thanks!
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:03 PM   #4  
No description available.

I think you brought up an interesting point. On days that people are up for 24 hours, should they consume more calories? I waffle on that. Sometimes I justify an extra meal...other times I tell myself that "X" number of calories is enough per 24 hrs, whether I am spending that time awake or asleep.

I know it depends on what the person is doing in the middle of the night (now, now, don't be naughty!), but I would be interested in other people's thoughts on this.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

I haven't seen the middle of the night in too many years to comment.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Quote:
On days that people are up for 24 hours, should they consume more calories?
In my humble opinion, no. Your body is perfectly capable of getting the necessary extra calories from burning its fat stores. However, you should probably make an attempt to eat more nutrient-dense food than usual, as it still does need vitamins and minerals, just not extra calories. And drink plenty of water.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:33 PM   #7  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Good question. Yes, I still sort of crave homemade rice crispy treats, but last time I had one it only took 1-2 bites for that craving to be satisfied...not half the pan. If the craving is strong, I say go get it, take a few sips and reevaluate. No one ever said you had to drink the whole thing! Throw it away if your craving is quenched!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote