Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 11:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 308/257/175

Height: 5'10

Default New here, looking for friends and support!

Hey gang! My name is Toni. I'm 26 and from the Harrisburg area in Pennsylvania. I have always struggled with a weight problem since I was a teenager. My weight skyrocketed when I became pregnant at a young age and ended up gaining 100 pounds. My highest weight has been 272 until this year when somehow the scale went up to 302. I had my thyroid checked and the doctor said that is working fine. I guess I just got too out of control. I have been in a new relationship for the past year and my boyfriend likes to eat out a lot when we are together, he rarely cooks and there is ever anything good to make at his house, I think my weight gain is attributed to too much of bad foods (it doesn't help that his mom keeps her house looking like candyland, there are candy dishes, cakes, pies, cookies and everything else under the sun lying around EVERYWHERE in the house at ALL times, funny thing is, she's also been on a "diet" the last year since I've been with her son, FIGURES!).

I've made it very clear to my boyfriend that our eating habits need to change, well at least mine does when we're together. I cannot continue to eat that way because I fear what else I can let myself do. I don't want to gain any more weight, my clothes are all getting very snug and I feel out of breath when walking more than I ever have in the past and it terrifies me.

I was seeing a nutritionist but she had me on a 2300 calorie diet and I wasn't seeing any results and it was impossible to stick to for some reason. She also was a seller of products by a company called Shaklee and she would always try to sell me something when we got together, that was just NOT working for me. My personal trainer (who has me on a very strict workout if only I can get to the gym as often as I should...I end up there three times a week, I'd like to get to 5 times a week, that is a new goal for me as well) would like me to eat 1800 calories a day through five meals all equaling 36g of carbs, 36 grams of protein, and 8 grams of fat for each meal. He suggested I eat 5 egg white and a whole egg every day and eat protein bars for snacks and make shakes out of whey protein as well. This is just not practical for me. I'm frustrated because I think if this is the only way I am going to be able to do this, I don't know how it is going to work for me. I am a single mom, I don't have a lot of money to spend on crazy foods and protein supplements. My extra money that I have goes to the gym membership and personal training appointments which average about $57.00 a month from me, which is about all I have to spare...

I guess I'm just looking for encouragement and support while I start this journey. I need this board to keep me accountable to my goals.

Looking forward to what lies ahead!

~Toni
Old 11-17-2006, 12:39 PM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Hi Toni! Welcome!
Old 11-17-2006, 03:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I, too, don't think you need to spend lots of money on specialty items when there's a lot of healthy, wholesome foods out there. "Fed"up has some great advice for you.

Post often!
Old 11-17-2006, 05:39 PM   #4  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Welcome Toni ~ glad you have joined us.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:59 PM   #5  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Welcome Toni. I look forward to seeing you around.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:05 PM   #6  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

Welcome to the forum Toni! There are many, many ways to lose weight and each person has to find what works for them. So keep looking until you find what will work for you!! I agree with what "fed"up says, especially the part about looking into other nutritionists. The 1800 sounds about right also - I'm about your weight and I keep (try to any way) my calories at a maximum of 1500 but that's to compensate for medication that I'm taking which slows down my thyroid and screws with my metabolism!! Good luck in your weight loss journey!!

I look forward to seeing more posts from you!!
Old 11-18-2006, 06:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/187.6/120

Height: 5'3"

Hi Toni,

I've got the same problem, for some reason two people together eat 3 times as much as 1 person alone. And it's tough to get the bf on the same page. The only thing I find works for me is to judge my own stomach and Stop Eating even when I'm eating out. Easier said than done, though.

T.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:59 PM   #8  
love my new muscles!

S/C/G: 231/182/165

Height: 5'7

Welcome. You have come to the right place for support. I am have read many post that have helped me at reaching my mini goals. I think making attainable goals are important and finding someone that can help you set up an eating plan is a great start(and there is someone that will work with you on eating habits that you can live with...don’t give up on your search...a good nutritionist works around your likes and dislikes)
Old 11-18-2006, 10:36 PM   #9  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Red face Hello from WV

Old 11-19-2006, 01:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/187.6/120

Height: 5'3"

Hi Toni,

I'm new here too.

Don't worry about the supplements and shakes, I don't think they're good for you anyway. I tend to binge on them if I'm not careful. It's better to eat real food.

Great job going to the gym 3 days a week, I'm trying to work my way back up to that.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:51 PM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Hi, Toni!

I'm 24 and haven't had any kidsand am not married, so none of the usual excuses for gaining weight besides just plain eating way too much and exercising way too little I just wanted to say that I'm right there with you...being 300+ at such a young age is rough, man, and I gained quite a bit or weight the first year I was with my boyfriend, too. Whenever I went to his place, we would eat out for EVERY meal (he sooo doesn't cook)...it was crazy. Now that we have our own place together, it's much easier to control what I eat, but I have definitely been in your shoes as well and know how difficult it can be.

Oh, and I am pretty familiar with Harrisburg...I went to York College, so I lived there for 3.5 years and interned at 105.7 The X (not sure if that's what it is anymore...I know 106.7 used to be Cat Country, and I interned with them as well, but they've since changed things around). I live a couple hours away now (just outside of DC).

Anyway, you've found a fabulous group of people here, and I also invite you to join the "300+ And Ready To Try Again" section if you're like me and like to talk to lots and lots of people (I post pretty much anywhere people will listen on here ).
Old 11-19-2006, 08:13 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 277/277/160

Height: 5'8"

Hey there Toni. I'm new here too. Looks like we are good hands though! I haven't been to the gym in months, but I'm starting to walk again. I know I need all the help and support I can get, hopefully we can support one another.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:11 AM   #13  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Toni!

Welcome! We eat out often, too! Calorie King makes a good book and you can also go to their website to find out the calories, fat, carbs for many restaurants. Some of the calorie counts are pretty shocking! Order grilled foods like chicken or fish. Get a big salad and tell them to not add the cheese or croutons and to bring your dressing on-the-side. If I know that the bread is especially good at a certain place, I order veggies instead of the rice or potatoes so that my bread will be my starch for that meal. Water with lemons and Sweet-n-Low works great to get in more water and to stay away from carbonated beverages.

Good luck!

Cheryl
Old 11-20-2006, 11:27 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 308/257/175

Height: 5'10

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for the words of welcome and encouragement! I have been a lot more motivated since I joined this board, I feel accountable to people, I think that will really help keep me in check. I did fairly well this weekend...I did make two not so great eating decisions, but I did so in much smaller portions than what I would have in the past and I was conscious about my decision...meaning...okay, I'll have a slice of pizza, but I'll have a salad for supper to make up for this". That seemed to work well for me this weekend...AND...I went to a concert last night with my boyfriend and son...usually at concerts I find it an excuse to either get a beer or dippin' dots, candied nuts or even cotton candy and I DIDN'T EAT A THING! I seperated food from an event that I have never been able to do before. I'm so proud of that!

Anyway...I wanted to thank you all and I am looking forward to tonight's weigh in!

Also, Jill...Thanks for posting...I am extremely amused because I also worked at 105.7 the x, it was around 2002-2003....wonder if we were there at the same time and know each other but don't realize it... Hope you get this message and we chat soon!

Thanks again everyone!
Old 11-20-2006, 01:32 PM   #15  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniDMB View Post
Also, Jill...Thanks for posting...I am extremely amused because I also worked at 105.7 the x, it was around 2002-2003....wonder if we were there at the same time and know each other but don't realize it... Hope you get this message and we chat soon!
That is INSANE...I interned there in the summer of 2003 It really is a small world! Yeah, I was there with Cat Country and when they were trying to figure out what to do with 102.3. I worked the Pearl Jam show at Hershey that summer as well as the Brooks and Dunn Neon Circus (or whatever it was called--I'm really not much of a country music fan) and a couple other smaller shows. I was a marketing intern, so I mostly worked with Dawn Glatfelter (if you knew her), and The X's marketing person changed from a girl (Maria, maybe? She was really cool) to Jay ("Spanky"), who was kind of a dork
Closed Thread