Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-16-2006, 04:15 PM   #1  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

Question Muscle over Fat?

I've been trying this new Urban Rebound trampoline thing. I can feel it in my muscles, since I can't do it for very long before they start hurting. But if this is building muscle, how do I get rid of the fat around the muscle? I've been eating healthier, though I admit I'm probably not eating enough food at all. And I think that's one reason the fat has been going on. But I'm so worried about eating right, that I just don't eat at all rather than have something unhealthy. But anyway, how can I lose the fat? Will using this trampoline still burn fat as well as work up the muscles? I'm really not sure how that works out.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:27 PM   #2  
Meg

Hi Blessed - the rebounder is primarily cardio (aerobic) exercise, so it's burning calories (and fat) every time you use it. And that's exactly what will get rid of the fat on top of your muscles, so you are definitely on the right track .

Rebounding may strengthen your leg muscles but it's not primarily a muscle building exercise - for that, you need to be using weights or some kind of resistance. You might want to think about adding some weight training to your rebounding workouts.

As for eating, do you track what and how much you're eating? It's really hard to say whether you're eating too much or not enough without knowing what you're actually eating. If you use Fitday, maybe post a link? If not, can you give us an idea of what you eat (and how much)? I'm sure you'll get lots of comments and good suggestions.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:08 PM   #3  
Free-thinker

Well, for instance today. I got up at 10. Since then I've eaten a couple bites of WW cereal. I let it get soggy... A healthy choice dinner, which wasn't much. Couple pieces of turkey and some mashed potatoes. A bottle of Special K protein water. Rather nice, I might add. And I've been snacking on Kashi Organic Cinnamon Harvest cereal. It's just after 5 now. So that's all I've eaten in a 7 hour period.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:28 PM   #4  
Meg

Depending on the amounts, you could already be over 1200 calories for the day ... it's hard to say. 'Snacking' on cereal could be hundreds of calories (it sure would be if I did it! ) and keep you from losing weight. And mashed potatoes - depending on how they're made - could also be mega-calories. Like I said, you could be undereating -- but based on what you posted, you could also very well be overeating. You possibly may have consumed an awful lot of calories for a seven hour period even if it doesn't seem like a lot of food (I just can't tell quantities based on what you posted).

I'm not seeing fruits or veggies in what you're eating - do you eat some? They'll fill you up and give you lots of fiber and nutrients without a lot of calories. Much better to snack on fruits and veggies than cereal.

A few suggestions ... write down what you're eating and how much (cups or ounces). See if you can come up with a daily calorie total. And do you ever plan a day's worth of meals in advance? Advance planning can help you stay within a sensible calorie total and help you work in fruits and veggies.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:59 PM   #5  
Free-thinker

I'll try to keep track of what I eat tomorrow. But I can't stand the idea of measuring everything I eat for the rest of my life. Just seems like too much trouble. And I also am terrible at guessing measurements. But let me check on the stuff today...

Kashi Cereal - 1/2 = about 80 calories.
Healthy Choice meal = about 150 calories or so.
WW cereal - a couple bites = about 75 calories.
Special K protein water = 50 calories.
Organic fruit juice = 70 calories maybe.
All Natural Ginger Beer soda(yah, yah ) = 160 calories.

Total = 585 calories in an 8 hour period so far today.

This is just a rough guess though, since I'm not sure how much I ate from the meal, the cereals, or the juice. But my stomach is always feeling empty. It's like I digest food really fast or something.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:14 PM   #6  
Meg

Hmm, what about the turkey and mashed potatoes? And most Healthy Choice meals run around 300 calories or so, don't they?

If you're not thrilled about counting calories and writing down what you eat, try www.fitday.com. It's easy and does all the math for you.

Honestly, the only way you'll ever know how much you're eating is by keeping track. Otherwise, you'll just be guessing ... too much? Or not enough?

Most of us got fat because we didn't pay attention to what we were eating, when, and how much. So the way to turn that around is to be a thoughtful eater who plans in advance, eats healthy, balanced meals, and keeps track of what/how much she's eating.

One last thought, the reason you always feel hungry is because most of what you're eating is simple carbs, which are quickly digested. Try adding lean proteins, fruits, veggies, and whole grains and I'll bet you'll stay a lot fuller for longer.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:22 PM   #7  
Free-thinker

The cereal is whole grain stuff. Both of them. But I'll try that. I'm jsut kind of limited since I can't cook anything unless it's in the microwave.

And the Healthy Choice mean I had was one of the smaller ones, only 200 calories total. But I only ate the turkey and some of the mashed potatoes. I didn't eat the veggies. I don't like most cooked veggies. But I"ll try to keep track of things more. I just know I'm not eating enough though. Before it was too much, and now it's not enough. Depression might have something to do with it, or maybe I do have a thyroid problem. Anyway, I'll try keeping track of things more. Thanks! And I hope I can find more things to eat, so I'll have more choices. I'm just SUCH a picky eater. LOL
Old 11-16-2006, 06:58 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I've often wondered just what people mean when they say they can't cook ... does it mean you have no stove or that you don't know how to cook?

Seriously though ... I'm going to put in a vote for fitday.com Not only did I learn to measure and watch ... I learned so much about the nutrient contents of the foods I was eating. And it's free!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote