Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-15-2006, 07:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Default Weight loss patterns

By tracking my calories, exercise, and weight loss on a spreadsheet, I have discovered that my weight loss follows a distinct pattern.

The first week, I lose a little .5 or 1 pound. The second week (ovulation week), I gain a little .5 or 1. The third week, I can lose a good bit depending on my exercise levels and calorie intake 1-3 lbs. The fourth week, I'll drop a lot (4, 4.5, and 4 for the three months I've been at this).

While it's helpful to know this pattern exists, I'm not sure if I should just be happy and go with the flow or if I should try to fight it. For example, this would be considered my first week of the month. My weigh in day is tomorrow. It looks like I might be down 1.5. I've exercised 155 minutes this week and had a little more than 1300 calories average per day.

Would you try to manipulate the numbers (exercise more and eat less) to get better results or just go with the flow and be happy?

Last edited by kateful; 11-15-2006 at 08:14 PM.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:07 PM   #2  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I'd just go with it - I figure that as long as I'm being consistent, my body knows what it needs and it'll be able to make the best use of the nutrients I take in if i don't try to force things. My weight loss had a similar pattern for about 4 months - dropping very little, if anything, throughout the month, and then losing up to 5 pounds the week after my TOM (and keeping it off). It seems to have levelled off and after a bit of a plataeu, I'm losing consistently now. The main point is that you're losing the weight, and you're doing it a reasonable rate when it's averaged out over the month. Keep up the good work!
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

Height: 5'7"

I have about the same pattern. As long as I am averaging a 2 pound a week loss I stay pretty happy. If that average drops below 2 pounds a week I get a little cranky. I journal and have compared my diet and exercise patterns and I have no real variance when it comes down to it. I think it is just the way that my body reacts.
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:05 AM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I have a similar pattern. I suspect it would be futile to try to fight it since I suspect that the pattern is caused by water retention. Assuming my theory is correct, you are actually losing more weight than it looks like during the first weeks of your cycle and less weight than it looks like during the latter weeks. The difference in the scale is because you are retaining water during the first weeks, then releasing that water during the latter weeks.

While there are somethings you can do to try to reduce water retention (drinking more water, eating less salt), you can't really control or eliminate it altogether.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:00 AM   #5  
Mel

I'd go with the flow, too. Fighting it may only result in binges and being miserable during the battle. If it's working, why try to fix it?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote