Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-15-2006, 03:16 PM   #1  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Default Clothes too big - buying new ones often?

So I decided to finally step inside a mall and start looking for some pants because the ones I've been wearing that have to be dressy, are hanging off of me and don't look that dressy anymore. This is fantabulous news but I still need well fitted pants. I didn't like the ones at the store... maybe it was me but they all did this strange wide-hip thing with my body I'm trying to come up with a way to take my big ones in around the waist or something, I only need them for three more weeks and then after that, I can put them away for good!

On a sidenote, I did find some very nice looking sweaters Ever since I began working out and losing weight, I am looking after myself more and more and this includes clothes... so I am enjoying shopping more and more!

But yes back to the pants.. any ideas?

How often do you shop as you are losing weight? I wouldn't mind buying a few nice things because I really don't like wearing clothes that are too big but I don't want to spend the money on something only to have to replace it in 3 months. Has anyone had that experience? thanks
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I barely shopped when I was losing weight. I wore my jeans until they were about to literally fall off my body and then I bought ONE new pair. I went from a tight size 18, then I bought a pair of 16s, then a pair of 14s, then a pair of 10s. I thought my weight loss stopped when I was a 10, so I bought quite a few clothes in 10/mediums before I dropped another 15 lbs and ended up a 6/small. I had to consign all those nearly brand-new clothes!

Thrift stores and consignment stores are great places to pick up a few essential items for cheap!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 227/153/135

Unfortunately, I already had a closet filled with size 10 to size 28 so having smaller clothes wasn't an issue for me (And yes, I've run that gamut in the last 6 years).

What I can tell you is that every time I "beat" a size, I promptly put those clothes on eBay. Not only did I make a little money but more importantly, those clothes weren't there just in case I gain weight again. If I needed something that I don't already have in my closet right now, the first place I would hit is eBay.
OnePerDecade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:38 PM   #4  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

I'm having a rough time with clothes right now. I'm currently in a 14, however the bottoms and legs on all my pants except one pair of jeans, are baggy but fit in the waist. I can't get into the 12's yet because although the legs and butt fit great, I have trouble fastening them around my belly. I do carry most of my weight on my stomach though. It's driving me mad . Tops, I'm now into a medium with the rare large every now and again.

I'm not buying any more clothes until I am for sure into a size 12, belly and all. I can't see me getting past a 12, I've always had curves, so I'll be happy at that.
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:45 PM   #5  
mostly harmless

Ebay isn't that good a deal, after all the shipping costs and everything. I got some smaller clothes at garage sales this summer, and at thrift shops and didn't have to pay much.

I did spring for new jeans- because only one brand seems to fit me well, but I only get one pair of each size as I get smaller. I can usually wear two of them, three if I'm desperate (ie: nothing else clean)
MariaOfColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:13 PM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I started in a size 20 and had clothes already down to a size 14. So at size 12, I bought 2 pr. of jeans and again at size 10 bought 2 pr. My step-daughter was pregnant so she gave me all her size 5-8's when I got to that size. She still can't wear them now and has my 10's and 12's. So, I really didn't have to buy too much while I was losing. Now that I reached my goal, I go overboard sometimes with the shopping. I do get some things from yard sales and thrift stores. For me getting rid of my clothes as I lost weight was important. I do have 1 pr. of size 20 jeans that I try on when I'm feeling sad about my weight. They cheer me right up.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:25 PM   #7  

I usually travel around my local second hand clothing store when my clothes start to fall off me. I can buy a whole new wardrobe for $40 I usually try and hang onto my clothes as much as possible though, until they look horrible. Good luck
KimmyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

I scour Goodwill every week or so and only buy things that are a size smaller than what I am currently wearing. A few weeks ago I got a pair of Calvin Klein pants in a 16 that I literally worked my buns off to get into! I wore them to work yesterday. I spent about 3 bucks on them, but I won't feel bad about taking them back to donate when I am in a 14! Not only are the clothes inexpensive, but they help motivate me.
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:54 PM   #9  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

I've always thought that thrift stores, Goodwill, etc. only had small-sized clothing, no size 18s or anything along those lines! I don't know where I got that idea from, maybe it was from sifting through one of the racks, I am not sure... but this is great news.. I will start looking through these stores. Many thanks
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

I'm buying some things. I have a professional job and need to look fairly put together almost every day. I'm hopeful most of the few things I've bought can be altered when the time comes.

Garage sales are often a good place to find plus sized clothing. I see that specified in ads quite often.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

I've worked in retail for so long that I know when to hit up the really good sales (dress pants for 10), and I tend to only buy things on sale these days. It also helps that my new-ish job requires a uniform, which I am loving because I only need 1 pair of black pants, and the tops were given to me Never thought I'd be so happy to wear the same thing everyday.. heh.

My best tip is to hit up all the sale sections at your fav stores, in my experience it's been cheaper than a second hand store.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:44 PM   #12  

I often will get old clothes from friends, "borrowing" them until i figure out whats good for me. (dont remember being trendy in 4+ years!)

Then I will go out and buy new clothes...as long as Im pretty confident I will stay within 10 pounds of my current weight
RunAndSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:45 PM   #13  
Shannon

S/C/G: 228/178/135

Height: 5'3"

Have you thought of having them taken in professionally? My mom just did this for an expensive pair of dress pants. As for what I do, I love shopping ever since I found out I can fit back into clothes more my age, so I go crazy buying clothes whenever I need the next size smaller.
mtp_and_hmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:48 PM   #14  
a brave new me...

Beautifulone... where did you shop? LaneBryant has really nice pants and jeans that even come in lengths. You are bound to find something that will fit you well there. Some nice pants will fit you through the winter season... you can always have them taken in at a tailor when they start to get too loose.

I am a firm believer in looking great no matter what your size. I refuse to wear clothes that are too big or too small so I am shopping right along with my weight loss. Ill-fitting clothes, either too tight or too loose, make anyone look big. Of course I am not buying any expensive items or higher end designers, but I am sure to always have a great pairs of jeans, sweaters, skirts, shirts to mix and match. I do still have some smaller sized clothes waiting in my closet so I have a good selection on the way down. Once my clothes are too small they get sent off to the local charity.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:20 PM   #15  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

For dress pants, I definitely recommend having them taken in professionally. I did this for a pair that I own: 1) it only cost around $10, definitely cheaper than buying a new pair, 2) the pants look and fit great, you would never know they used to be a size or two larger, and 3) I got to chat with the tailor about how much weight I had lost (one of my favorite subjects). When you buy a new pair of pants, the salesperson never comments on how much weight you lost to fit into this great new size, she just assumes you've always been this size. But the tailor can see how much weight you lost by how big your pants are. It was definitely a bright spot in my day.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote