Old 11-11-2006, 04:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/246/175

Height: 5'3"

Question What to do with this food processor

OK, so I will admit it. I have a food processor, but don't know what to do with it! I have had this thing for years and have never used it. (Stop Laughing!!) Anyway, Im trying to make all these changes to my eating habits and I need all the help I can get. So how can this machine help me? I really don't have the time for elaborate meals, but maybe it can help me with my daily food preperations.
What do you do with your food processor?
Are there any other little appliances that make your life easier?
Dont say the can opener, I already have that one figured out!
Justwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:37 PM   #2  
it's always something

I got excited when I bought my food processor, but haven't used it nearly as much as I thought I would. I don't use it for chopping or slicing anything - I like to chop by hand. However, there are some things I make that the food processor is perfect for. Hummus, tapenade, veggie patties, finely chopping nuts, etc. I have a cookbook called Process This which includes tons of ideas for sauces, dressings, soups and more. They aren't exactly diet recipes, but it's great for ideas.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

well I am sure not laughing because I bought a brand new one and can't figure out how to get it to work. When I think I have it closed like it says to and turn it on... nothing.

As for other appliances that make my life easier... my favorites are:

T-Fal double deck steamer
Dehydrator
George Foreman grill
Electric knife
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:53 PM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I don't use my food processor that often, but the things I do use it for I absolutely couldn't make without it.

Pesto
One thing I use it for is to make pesto. It sounds hard, but if you make it you'll be surprised how easy it is. You just throw everything into the food processor and turn it on. The hardest part is washing the basil leaves. I'll make up a big batch and freeze it in individual servings. I've made sage pesto (which makes a fabulous marinade for chicken--see recipe below) and basil pesto. Here a some low calorie pesto recipes:
The easiest way to wash large quantities of basil or sage is to throw all the leaves in a big bowl, fill it with water and swish them around. Then drain the water (run the leaves through a salad spinner if you have one).

Grinding Meat
Another thing I've discover I can use my food processor for is grinding chicken or salmon. You just cut the chicken or salmon into chunks, throw it in the food processor, and turn it on. The ground chicken you buy in the store usually has skin and fat mixed in, so it is higher in fat (and calories) than buying whole chicken breasts and grinding them yourself.

Here are a couple recipes that use ground chicken that are fabulous:
Spicy Chicken Cakes with Horseradish Aioli: http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking...ipe_id=1206203

Chicken Picadillo, Barb-style
1 lb chicken breast
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup diced red pepper
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
.5 tsp salt
3 tsp minced or crushed garlic
1 cup salsa (I use Trader Joe's fresh roasted tomato salsa)
3 ears corn (kernals removed) or 3 cups frozen corn (thawed)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro

1. Place chicken in food processor and pulse until ground.
2. Heat oil in large non-stick skillet over med-high heat. Add onion and red pepper and cook for 3 min or until tender, stirring frequently.
3. Add chicken, cumin, cinnamon, salt, and garlic. Cook for 3 min more, or until chicken is done, stirring frequently.
4. Add salsa and corn. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
5. Stir in cilantro and serve with tortillas or pita bread.

Note: The original recipe called for 1/3 cup raisins and 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds instead of the corn and red pepper. My SO and I don't like raisins or almonds, hence my substitutions.

Makes 4 servings. Nutritional info with my substitutions (but not including the tortillas or pita bread): 242 calories, 4.3g fat, .5g saturated fat, 7mg cholesterol, 560mg sodium, 24.4g carbs, 3g fiber, 7.8g sugar, 29.8g protein. If you make it with the raisins and almonds, it should have about 257 calories, 7.5g fat, 19g carbs, and 29.6g protein.

Bread Crumbs
You can also use your food processor to make your own whole wheat bread crumbs. Just tear the bread up, throw it in the processor, and turn it on.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:57 PM   #5  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I don't use mine that often either, but I make a great sugar free homemade barbecue sauce that I couldn't make without it. George Foreman type grill (I have the walmart one with removable grills.)
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:35 PM   #6  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Bwhahahahaha!
(ok, done giggling)

There are lots of thing you can do with your food processor but everyday use? I'm not sure.

I chop nearly everything in it - because I hate to chop by hand. Also, it's great for thickening homemade soups without cream or corn starch. For instance, in a broccoli soup, I will toss half of it in the food processor, whirl it and then add it back to the soup. Now it has a creamy texture without the cream.

For chopping, don't just press the on button and walk away. It's ALL about the pulse. Pulse once, look at it. Pulse again, look at it. If you just turn it on, it becomes baby food. Gross.

Salsa Fresca

1/4 red onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, minced
8 cilantro sprigs, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

In your food processor, add things in the order of size needed. For instance, the jalapeno and garlic need to be minced (the smallest size) so add them in first. Pulse, pulse, until they are the size you want. Add the rest of the ingedients. Then, in a mixing bowl with 4 ripe tomatoes (chopped by hand) combine all ingredients together. Toss thoroughly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:22 AM   #7  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

If you don't know what to do with it, you may send it to me.

SuchAPrettyFace
1234 Whattajolly Street
Anytown, USA 12345

Seriously? My family makes ravioli dough with one. We also make these little cheese biscuits for Easter & the dough gets made in there.

Also I hate hate HATE chopping so that is what I would use it for. Case in point, vegetarian chili--one red onion + one yellow onion + one white onion + 1 green pepper + 1 red pepper + some zucchini = a WHOLE LOTTA CHOPPING.

Good luck with yours!!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote