General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 12:58 PM   #1  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

Question Hypothyroid...

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid in June 1992, and that's when my weight issues really started. I was just wondering if any of you that are trying to lose weight have this condition also? If so, I would love to hear what has helped you to take the pounds off, any little helpful hints or suggestions. My weight fluctuates so much at times, and it gets very frustrating that is can take so long just to take off a couple pounds. My doctor says I'm on the correct dose of my thyroid medidication, but sometimes it gets to be a downer how much longer it takes to lose weight, than those that don't have a thyroid problem. Thanks so much for your input!!!
Old 11-10-2006, 01:11 PM   #2  
Meg

Michelle - I'm hypo too (and was when I lost the weight). What really made the difference for me this time was exercise, and lots of it. I don't think I could have lost the weight without it, and am certain I wouldn't be keeping it off five years later.

Hey, did you see that our starting statistics are almost identical?! Cool!
Old 11-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #3  

Hi Meg -- Thanks for that info. That really gives me hope now, because I have always thought that you're such an inspiration, and to know you did it, I can too! The exercise is so true, because I've noticed that I lose more weight if I exercise. You're right, our stats are almost exactly the same.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:28 PM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Hi Michelle, I'm also hypothyroid. I didn't realize it until I went to the doctor about a year ago. (I had been really bad about avoiding the doctor because I didn't want to weigh. ) Weight loss hasn't been especially slow for me, at least, the first year/100 lbs came off pretty quickly, but I think it was because I had so much to lose. Now it seems to have slowed significantly. I have been exercising consistently, although I only get about 4.5 - 5 hours a week, nowhere near the 7 - 10.5 hours mentioned in Meg's signature.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #5  

Hi Tammy -- I had no idea from talking to you all these times that you were hypothyroid too! You have done so good with your weight loss, so both of you ladies give me so much hope! Another site that I have also posted on a thyroid thread, the ladies have made it sound to me that it's very difficult to lose weight with having an underactive thyroid, and it got me very down, but now this gives me hope again!!!
Old 11-10-2006, 06:13 PM   #6  
Meg

Sweetie, don't you ever lose hope! I want you to believe that you can lose weight even if you're hypo. Look at Tammy and me ... there's more than 220 pounds gone between the two of us (Tammy, you are doing fantastically! )

My doctor is very no-nonsense and always told me that if my TSH levels were normal, then I could lose like a normal person. I didn't believe her, of course, and used being hypo as my excuse for being obese (this is just me, I'm not saying you're like this, of course ). But lo and behold, when I got serious about exercise and counting calories (and stopped cheating ) the weight came right off. So I guess she was right after all, much as I hate to admit it.

Maybe it will take a little longer and maybe you'll have to work a little harder - who knows? What I do know for sure is that you'll say it was all so worth it in the end.

You can do this, Michelle! Just think how cool it's going to be when we add your losses to mine and Tammy's final numbers ... WOW!
Old 11-10-2006, 10:00 PM   #7  

MEG...You are such a sweetheart!!! You have definitely given me the pep talk that I really need, and I AM READY!!! I'm going to give it my everything, and cannot wait until I can add my numbers to both of yours!!!
Closed Thread