General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 01:41 PM   #1  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Default I'm a terrible person, I lied today - twice

Not only did I lie twice, but I involved my daughter, which is inexcusable. I feel just awful. Maybe if I get it off my chest I can stop feeling so horrible.

I woke up this morning with terrible pink eye, conjunctivitis I believe is the official term. I've had it before and I am 100% certain this is what it is. Now comes the lying part.

I called my kids' pediatrician and said that one of my daughters has pink eye. I did this because on many occasions she has had it and he has always given me a presciption over the phone without seeing her.
So therefore, I wouldn't have to spend the time or money for me to go to the doctor. And also I have a $100 deductable for medications on each person in my family and I have not met my quota yet and she has. So I thought it would be cheaper. I'm just horrible. Anyway I called the nurse, she said fine, she called me back and for the first time EVER the doctor says he wants to see her. It's like he KNEW I was lying. And I'm like she's in school, she says sorry he won't do it and I'm like okay then...

Lie #2: I call my doctor, tell the nurse I have pink eye, would like a prescription, she says the Dr. won't do it. The Dr. wasn't in yet. I call back and speak to the Dr. and lied again. I said I am certain it's pink eye because my daughter currently has it. With some more persuading she gives in and I get the presciption.

So there you have it, I lied - twice. Well I got it off my chest, but I'm not feeling any better. I guess I really don't deserve to. . What I did was wrong.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:07 PM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

As a nurse, I can tell you that this happens all the time, if that makes you feel any better. I often call and try to get my Dr. to call in a prescription if I know what is wrong with me, but he often makes me come in for the visit. Which I hate the waiting and the 45 min. drive to his office. But, if I truly need to be seen, he'll fit me in anytime. So, I guess it's a good trade-off. But, it's always better to be safe than sorry when it's comes to seeing a doctor instead of having a prescription called in. Everyone lies, it's human nature.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:32 PM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
Everyone lies, it's human nature.
Probably. But I get the feeling that fed up's a lot like me. I get "caught up" in a lie. Lying makes me VERY nervous and I no doubt scream lie from every pore when I try it. And...it always invariably goes wrong...like what happened here. So, I just don't do it. Even for something simple.

As an example here, we received a sum of money from MIL. MY family of course is grubby greedy and thinks we spent it foolishly...IE...not on them. Now, upon her death, we received another sum of money, which we are using to buy a house. Of course family wants to know where we're getting the down payment, etc. etc. etc. I just try to avoid their questions, but have had to SKIRT around the truth a few times. Even though the reason's worthy, I still worry whenever I have to say something untrue, or lead them to believe something (like he's using his VA loan that doesn't require a downpayment...didn't actually say that, but told them it was one of our options ::sigh:: ). I worry that something I say later will not mesh with what I said before and then all **** will break loose.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

I've had pink eye so many times,I do anything to get out of seeing the Dr. in person now.In fact,the last time my son had it,it went through the entire house no matter how careful we all were....and we all had to be seen by our Dr's.I was so mad....that was $80.00 for the same thing we all had.I don't blame you for lying about that.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:56 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

The thing that bothers me the most about my lie, is that I said my daughter was the one with pink eye. Not only did I lie but I lied about my daughters health. But obviously I didn't dislike it enough not to do it. I justified it in my mind because number 1 the waste of time in going to the doctor and number 2, the money that it would have cost for me to see the doctor and we just can't afford another expense now - see there I go again justifying away.

This is such a common ailment, I wonder why they don't make it over the counter already. I'm sure when used incorrectly it can be harmful. But so can allergy pills which have in recent years been made over the counter and many other drugs.

Anyway thanks for listening and thanks for understanding.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I learned this lesson the hard way ... one of my kids is allergic to sulfa! I tried the old "Oh, I'll just use DD's drops for DS ..." Bad idea! He looked like he'd been blown up like a balloon! Then I had to explain to the doc what I'd done to make him look like that.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:13 PM   #7  
No description available.

Maybe I am weird, but I frequently have women call in for birth control or antibiotics for pink eye or UTIs or an antifungal for yeast infections. If I know them I have no problem calling in meds for them. I do want a urine sample for culture and sensitivity for UTIs, but that is a trip to the lab. Definitely for women I know, and who do not need to be dragging their small children all over creation, I do call these meds in, after we talk on the phone and with appropriate precautions.

Sometimes ya need to be seen and sometimes you don't.

Last edited by midwife; 11-09-2006 at 04:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-09-2006, 04:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
I learned this lesson the hard way ... one of my kids is allergic to sulfa! I tried the old "Oh, I'll just use DD's drops for DS ..." Bad idea! He looked like he'd been blown up like a balloon! Then I had to explain to the doc what I'd done to make him look like that.
Ack!! I'm allergic to sulfa. I had no idea it was in drops (drops that we have because we know a friendly pharmacist). Thanks for that.

Re: the lying--While you may have thought you had a good reason, I think you know that it often works out in way you wouldn't have chosen. If you manage to come out of it unscathed this time, I would just suck it up and go to the doc next time.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:18 PM   #9  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

The medication you are getting for pink eye is an antibiotic, which is very different than allergy medicine. That's why it's not available over-the-counter.

Interestingly enough, most of the time pink is a viral infection (there are different forms of pink eye, one of which is bacterial and would need to be treated with antibiotics, but the most common form is viral). This means the medication you are getting may not actually be doing anything to treat it. If the pink-eye you have is viral, it will just go away on its own whether you take medication for it or not. I've definitely had pink eye cure itself on its own. So one course of action when you have pink eye is to give it a day or so to see if it improves on its own. If it starts to improve, it's probably a virus and will cure itself on its own. If it doesn't improve within a day or so, then you should call your doctor.

There is also an over-the-counter treatment that treats the symptoms of pink eye. It's usually available in the eye drops aisle. Here is a link to it so you know what you are looking for: http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...&id=prod980637.

Oh, and I don't think you need to beat yourself up over your lies. We all do stuff like that to get through life.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:23 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

Oh gosh, my kids are allergic to sulfa too, I hadn't even thought about allergies. But I thankfully don't have any allergies. I know I was wrong.
I was wrong that's all there is to it....but I can't help thinking I'm glad I didn't wind up having to go to the doctor.....
Old 11-09-2006, 05:01 PM   #11  
Stinger

S/C/G: 0/0/0

Height: 5'5

About the lie. I have had that feeling before. I know what you mean. I was sick last time I did something like this and resolved to never do it again.

The reason you feel like that is because our Creator puts that feeling in each of us so we know that we need to work on our faults. Thank goodness He is forgiving and He is Love. We are His children. He even wrote a wonderful book that teaches us how He forgives us. There are like a billion copies of this book in print all over the world. I always feel better when I read this book.

Take care and know everything will work out.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:04 PM   #12  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

I know how you feel, I am always afraid if I tell someone my kids are sick, they will get sick. It has happened on more than one occasion. Just be careful and make sure your daughter doesn't get it from you
Old 11-09-2006, 06:32 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

I forgot to say that if you were really a "terrible person" the thought of being concerned about this would never have occured to you.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #14  
mom2cole

I know how you feel, I hate lying too. I am so bad at it. Last winter my husband, boys and I kept getting sick and I kept having to call into work to take care of everybody and I would say I was sick and then when I was sick a few days later I had to call and say they were sick and so on. My work keeps track of sick days for yourself and you taking off if your family is sick and I always forget which one I keep taking. Dumb, I know!
Old 11-10-2006, 05:58 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcatron243 View Post
I know how you feel, I am always afraid if I tell someone my kids are sick, they will get sick.
Yup, exactly.

My husband drives my daughter to school every morning and he was late getting out of the house, so I had to write my daughter a late note and I couldn't even write on the note that she wasn't feeling well, it just doesn't feel right.

Mom2cole, it's not dumb - I think it just shows that it's not natural for us to deceive, we're just not comfortable with it. Even if we have a "valid" and honorable reason.
Closed Thread