General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 12:41 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Question Are you Northwest posters OK?

I've been hearing about the rains and some flooding.

Please be safe and let us know you're OK.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:14 PM   #2  
Pending Email Confirmation

Thanks! I'm up here, and while we are drenched my area at least is okay. Our coast is a mess though.
In fact, I'm supposed to go this weekend to a celtic music festival and I really hope some of the roads are cleared up by then. It would be very disappointing and expensive since tickets and deposits are non-refundable.

From the news, things are starting to get back to normal. I heard one man died due to the flooding, and there are several million dollar homes at stake (not that I feel so sorry for people with million dollar homes that build them on the side of a hill that is eroding)...

I hope that people closer to the coasts and rivers are okay, and I think further up north into Washington is having a harder time than this area.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #3  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

Luckily we live up higher in elevation that it doesn't really affect us with flooding, but down below the hills in our town, the river and park always flood. On the news last night, it showed salmon swimming in the flooded waters in the streets. Luckily the winds have let up, but we're still getting heavy rain off and on, and the coast roads, even the detours, are horrible.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:46 PM   #4  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziness View Post
I heard one man died due to the flooding
He was a friend of my second oldest sister, someone she works with. It's really sad.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:02 PM   #5  
mom2cole

I am in Southern Oregon and we have had lots of rain, but no flooding. So where in Oregon are the rest of you? I am guessing Portland area?
Old 11-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #6  

I'm in Eugene, and I think we're too far south for any of the flooding to affect us.

It is really sad. It's mostly sad that we are never prepared for these things... especially since this is Oregon and hello it rains here. It's our thing. I think we need more prep training and really I think there should be regulations about where you can build...

Like maybe on the side of a hill that has been eroding into the sea... or right on the river. It's pretty there, and nice to visit... but a house is an expensive investment, you'd think people would want to put them where they would be nice and safe from obvious dangers like mudslides, hurricanes, etc.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:00 PM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

tree huggers
Old 11-08-2006, 11:02 PM   #8  

I'm about 20 miles south of Portland.

GARY...LOL!!!
Old 11-09-2006, 12:16 AM   #9  

Gary - you have no idea! There are people who live in trees here *LOL*

But I guess they'd be safe from any flooding.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:32 AM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

MICHELLE AND LIZZINESS ~ I would pass near you both on my way from southern California up to south east Washington, when my wife and I built our retirement home . We have since sold it ~ oh, and at least 10 years away from retirement anyway!!

BEAUTIFUL country, I think a little too cold for me though. My best friend and his wife and my ex-wife's best friend (my friend too) live over in Bend. Angie and I go see them from time to time.

Stay dry!!
Old 11-09-2006, 10:17 PM   #11  
mom2cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
tree huggers

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said, "Hug a logger and you will never go back to trees!" Guess since my husband is a mill worker he is close enough for a logger to me! I live in Medford just 45 minutes from the California border on I-5.

I was actually born in Eugene though. My parents still live in a little town called Oakridge outside of Eugene. I love that little town.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:11 PM   #12  

I've lived here for 7 years and never been to Oakridge.. but I was born in Cottage Grove... scary. I swear all of the people that live there are related to me somehow....

I really freaked out one time I was at one of my family functions and saw one of my husbands relatives!!! She married into the family, or so she says. I'm still a little freaked out to find out I was distantly related to my husband BEFORE I married him. ew,
Old 11-10-2006, 08:22 AM   #13  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cole View Post
I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said, "Hug a logger and you will never go back to trees!" Guess since my husband is a mill worker he is close enough for a logger to me! I live in Medford just 45 minutes from the California border on I-5.

I was actually born in Eugene though. My parents still live in a little town called Oakridge outside of Eugene. I love that little town.

My uncle lived in Medford for about 4 years in the late 70's early 80's, would still be there he says, except at that time ,he was in construction and just couldn't survive financially
Old 11-10-2006, 12:11 PM   #14  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default It's just not letting up on you people

I'm surprised that the storms up there haven't moved down the coast and gotten us or moved east into Montana.

Bless your hearts. Be safe.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:41 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cole View Post
I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said, "Hug a logger and you will never go back to trees!".
This is just too funny!!!

Well we have yet another storm coming in today, and it's already starting here. We're supposed to have up to 45 mph winds and 100% chance of rain. I feel very sorry for the people at the coast where they're still trying to clean up from this weeks mess.
Closed Thread