Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 12:11 PM   #1  
a brave new me...

Default A-HA Moments?

It would be great if everyone could share some of their "A-HA moments"... you know those insights that suddenly click in your brain and you finally get it? Or you figure something out and are suddenly able to make a radical change or commitment?

For me the biggest "a-ha" came when I finally understood what role my self-esteem and self-worth plays in being overweight. I know we all hear it over and over again about "loving ourselves" etc. but it didn't truly hit home unil recently for me. Not too long ago we adopted an adorable pug puppy who is our first pet. Well we have both totally fallen in love with the little guy and would do anything for this dog! I take him out in all sorts of weather... walk him several times a day... bathe him... groom him... buy him treats and toys... feed him the best food available on the market... you get the picture... spoiled puggy! Well very early on I realized that I was willing to do things for this dog that I was unwilling to do for myself! Exercising and healthy eating! Why was I willing to walk this dog everyday (2-4 15-30 minutes walks everyday) but totally unwilling to walk myself? Why would I only feed this dog healthy, expensive dog food while feeding myself junk? And then it hit me... I would do anything for this little guy because I really love him and I believe he is worth the sacrifice. On the other hand, I wouldn't do any of these things for MYSELF because I did not believe I was worth the sacrifice and didn't truly love myself. A-HA!

So now whenever I am faced with a choice about eating or exercising I ask myself if I am worth the sacrifice and the answer is always yes. I am worth it. I do deserve it, no matter what the cost. It has radically changed my behavior and has resulted in very successful weight loss.

Can everyone else share their A-HA moments for the benefit of the group?

Oh yeah... and here is a picture of my little guy...

Old 11-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #2  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

I had several little moments adding up to one big one. But I was in the bathroom trying on interview clothes when I actually saw myself in the mirror. You know it was like OMG is that what my body actually looks like? It just happened to coincide with a co-workers brother asking us to help his sister lose weight. (I did give him the speech about her needing to do things for herself) So I decided I would set a good example for her by taking care of myself and eating healthy. (She likes to Join in with what we are all doing) She walked with us a few times, but she hasn't made the decision to lose weight so I know she wont and I cant make her.
I was serious about losing weight! I wanted to lose at least 50 pounds but more important I wanted to start treating myself better. I have good self-esteem and have for several years. But, I was more concerned with what Dh or the kids wanted. I decided I will do this for myself. I started my new life on Aug 14th and I am never looking back!
Old 11-06-2006, 04:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/133

Height: 5'3''

I have had a few "aaahaa!" moments, some easy some serious. The easy moment: calories IN calories OUT! Hello, I eat to much, and sit to much! That is why I am fat, simple math!! The serious one is I realized that I am taking from people who are hungry. I have always wanted to sponser children who needed food, but never really had the $. Well, if I cut out the amount of food I shouldn't be eating I would have the $ to do that each month. I am currently looking into the best program to sponser a child, and I will never take from them again! Jelly
Old 11-06-2006, 09:20 PM   #4  
Stronger Than Yesterday

Sojourner, your dog is adorable!

My big A-HA! (actually it was more of an AAAAAAAAAH!!!!) moment was seeing a picture of myself and hardly recognizing my body. That was when I knew it was time to get my butt in gear!!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:22 PM   #5  
a brave new me...

Oooooo is that your baby in your avatar!? How adorable!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:28 PM   #6  
Stronger Than Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Oooooo is that your baby in your avatar!? How adorable!
No.. I just thought he was cute!
I have a cockapoo who doesn't know he's a dog
Old 11-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #7  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

One of my biggest A-HA moments just happened actually. I've been working overtime so I record my shows and watch them later. I just got to watch Oprah's show where she had Dr. Oz on about his new diet plan.

I have seen him on her show before and I want to buy his books as well. But today when he showed the fatty Omentum and the fatty liver I started to cry because I knew what he was showing was me. And he went on to say that being overweight is just like having cancer. So it opened up my eyes (after I stopped crying) and where I know its a daily struggle, I want to try better. I am currently working with my own dr. who pretty much said what Dr. Oz said, but why is it that one person can tell you one thing and you *don't listen* but someone on tv says the exact same thing and you *listen*?

So anyways.........that was one of my many A-HA moments........
Old 11-06-2006, 11:36 PM   #8  
a brave new me...

Yup I have seen Dr. Oz with the nasty organs compared to the healthy organs. DEFINITELY an eye opener!
Old 11-06-2006, 11:48 PM   #9  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

I had a few moments but for me the best one was finally understanding that I don't have to change for anyone but myself. Somedays I feel happy and healthy and the last thing on my mind is weight loss and that's fine.

The moment that made me want to lose weight the most was when My Ex took a picture of me on my camera phone when I was changing clothes. He meant it to be cute but when I saw it, all I saw was my gut hanging over my pants and I almost threw the phone and was so ashamed that he saw me with my gut hanging out. (this was a few months ago. things are a bit better now ^_^)
Old 11-06-2006, 11:56 PM   #10  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

A little over a yr. ago I took a good look in the mirror. I felt hopeless and sad. I didn't think I could ever lose the weight. I started by first just trying to get outside more. Plant flowers and do yard work. A week later my Dr. chewed me out because of all the health problems that I had that were greatly exacerbated by my obesity. I decided that very day to change my life. Get some exercise and eat healthy. I have had bumps in the road, but I kept on going.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:06 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 178/135/?

Height: 5'2

I think the general consensus is that it wasn't ONE single thing but rather a series of smaller "aha" moments that led us to our weight loss journey's. After several years of trying every diet, joining and quitting WW three times, spending God knows how much money on weight loss pills I finally realized that in order for me to lose weight and keep it off, i had to find something I could live with for the long run... no exclusions of food or food groups was going to do it. I began keeping a food journal and was surprised at how much I actually ate. Those four or five hershey kisses here, half of my son's leftover hamburger, vending machine snacks really add up. I also was looking over some family vacation photo's from January when we went to Florida and was disgusted with how out of shape I was. I realized I'm too young to let myself go and that if I keep on the same track I will be continuing to put myself at risk for severe health problems. As a nurse, I see the effects obesity has on my patients, young women, in their early forties who are affected by Diabetes II, heart disease, CHF, high blood pressure, and all b/c they are overweight. It's sad and heartbreaking when you know that if these women were to lose the weight the majority of their health problems would resolve.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:49 AM   #12  
dum dee dum

S/C/G: 213/185/140

Height: 5'7½"

Like some of you, I myself didn't notice how big I was until I saw my reflection in mirrors or windows. When I looked in the mirror at home, I thought I was 'O.K.' but then I came to realise that I wasn't at all fine when I walked into a public toliet and stared gloomily at my rather large figure in the mirror (the biggest one there). That's when the 'AHA!' popped into my head and waged war against bulge!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:53 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I also had several "A-HA" moments and one of them was - I was in the mall and I passed a dark store with a glass front and I saw my reflection and I just couldn't believe how WIDE I was. Also I had been having a very bad year with my knees, walking for any length of time was just out of the question and I knew that I just couldn't go on like this anymore. I was also seriously worrying how I would ever make it through any of my daughters' weddings, with all the standing and dancing and all the energy that that entails, which is kinda crazy because it's far away, but I couldn't get that out of my head.

But the real cllincher was I banged into an acquaintance while dining out in a chinese restaurant and she was soooo skinny, like almost too skinny and 10 months earlier she was as heavy as I was. And it just clicked in my head if she can do it then why the heck couldn't I, it truly was possible. We have since gone on to become better friends and she told me that she had been 289 pounds, so I was right on the mark in thinking she was just as heavy as I was. I think I really needed the visual aspect of it to open up my eyes and see that losing all this weight is indeed doable. I was very fortunate to have that, I don't think most people do.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 185/123/120

Height: 5'5

Okay so my "A-HA" moment had to happen twice for it to really really click
with me. And both of them involved my brother-in-law. The first happened at a party at his house, my hubby and I were sitting on a bench on his patio and he (my brother in law) came over to me and said "did you know this bench has a weight limit". Needless to say I was very embarrassed and hurt. I seriously had to hold my husband back from decking him.
The second happen while we (my brother in law and I) were walking into the garage at night and so we would not trip on the light to the garage door opener we were stepping over the beam of light and I guess I did not lift my foot high enough and I made the light come on and he said to me "your so big you can't even lift your foot high enough how pathtic".

The real ironic thing is he is no small person (beer belly and all ) and he has the nerve to talk. I am just not a mean person so I never said anything back to him even though I could have said plenty.

Well, I lost the weight (almost to goal ) and he is still a mean spirited and BIG man.
Ha Ha who should be laughing now.....
Old 11-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 259/140/140

Height: 5'6"

First of all Sojourner you baby is absolutely beautiful.
I think my moment was last Christmas when my 2 brothers, sister and I got together for a picture. My brothers were so handsome and thin and my sister was so beautiful and thin and I was so fat and that is all I could see. This year we are doing pictures again per my request to replace the one of me fat. I may not be thin but I am not obese either so maybee I will see myself instead of just the fat.
Terrie
Closed Thread