South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 07:18 PM   #1  
Busy Mom

S/C/G: 132/132/120

Height: 5'3"

Default Questions about SBD

I'm thinking about starting this eating plan, because well for the most part I already do. Here is my question/problem though, my 17 month old has Celiac Disease and can't have wheat, oats, rye, or barley (gluten products). I try to eat a gluten free diet too because it reduces the risk of contaminating my son's food. When you add the good carbs back (mostly the breads and pasta) I don't have those in my house. Would I be able to eat the rice breads or pasta that my son eats? Also, I know that you can't have potatos or corn, but if you put them in recipes can I pick them out or does the starch transfer into the meat and other veggies? I ask because with Celiac I know gluten transfers into the other food so cross contamination is very high. You also can't handle gluten products then handle non-gluten products for my son because the gluten then attaches to his food.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:47 PM   #2  
it's always something

Can you prepare brown rice pasta for your son? Brown rice pasta would work as a good carb on SBD. It doesn't really matter which grain, just as long as it's a whole grain.

If you prepare a dish that contains potatoes and corn, I think it's ok to pick them out and eat the rest of the dish, as long as you don't have a medical reason to avoid the starch. If any starch does transfer, it should be a small amount. Many SBD approved recipes call for small amounts of starches as thickeners, and even SBD retail products contain cornstarch.

Good luck
Old 11-06-2006, 12:41 AM   #3  
One decision at a time.

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi, I am new to SB so I don't think I am the best person to answer this question. I just wanted to say welcome and to give you a . I want you to know that I am attempting to lose weight with a little one with dietary restrictions. My son is 15 months old with severe dairy, egg, peanut, and fish allergies. I was nursing him until about two weeks ago, so I was eliminating those things from my diet. I go through so many precautions to ensure that he isn't exposed to foods he is allergic to (actually I am so excited. My husband and I went out last night for the second time since our son was born. we didn't get a call saying he was at the ER and in fact he had a ball with the sitter). I just wanted you to know that you are not alone and though we have another obstacle to losing weight, we can do it. I have a wonderful friend in my life who reminds me that it is important to my son's health and well being that I take care of my health and well being. We do our best work when we are physically and mentally well. I don't know if you have someone in your life like that or someone to tell you that it seems like an daunting if not impossible task, but You can do it!
Old 11-06-2006, 04:37 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Great points, Ebb&Flow (and congrats on a great night out with a healthy, happy son at home! : )! It's so important to stay healthy for your kiddos!

, ammelum! Great questions! Suzanne is right about brown rice pasta. I'm not as familiar with celiac disease as I probably should be; can he have other grains such as spelt, quinoa, kamut, etc? If so, there are more and more things coming on the market that are made with those grains exclusively. If you do have to eat things like the white rice products, I'd try to minimize them and always combine them with things that slow down their absorbtion (i.e. fats, acids, etc.) as Dr. A talks about in the book.

I really admire all you're doing for your children!
Old 11-06-2006, 05:34 PM   #5  
Busy Mom

Thanks for the welcome. I know it's important to take care of me too, sometimes it's hard to do both. So obviously he comes first. It's even harder because I have a 3 month old also who was born with a heart problem. We were in the hospital for about two months total. He was born July 20th. I know ebb&flow what you mean about worrying whether he got something he wasn't suppose to. Because it's so easy to cross contaminate and no one understands that I worried about him the entire time the 3 month old was in the hospital because I had to have people help us take care of him. Mainly my parents. Hopefully some of those food allergies he will grow out of. I'll say a prayer for him.

He actually can have brown rice pasta and quinoa. I don't know about spelt. But I have the pasta's he can have. I think this eating plan will work for me. Next time I have the funds I really need to get the book to understand everything though. For now at least I have the foods list. I realized last week I think I'm a carb addict. So hopefully this eating plan will help that. I think the first two weeks will be hard.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:03 PM   #6  
One decision at a time.

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

ammelum- I will pray for you and your babies too. That is a lot for parents to handle. You hang in there. I believe things get better over time. Actually, you could do as I did. I went to the library and checked out a copy of the book to read. Sure you don't have it long term for reference, but at least you will be able to see what is in there.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:36 PM   #7  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

I make notes. Or sneakily use the copier at work. Or get my Mom to buy it for me.

I'm so cheap.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:32 AM   #8  
Busy Mom

I went online and reserved it. Unfortunately they are all checked out. I'm really not looking forward to the first two weeks. After that it's not a big deal. I just won't be buying mixed veggies anymore or I'll have to get different combinations. Luckily my husband is a meatcutter and knows what all those different types of meat are. I get lost. I'll stick with chicken breast (boneless/skinless), hamburger and of course my favorite tenderloin . I of course like the fancy name,fillet migon (spelling??), but my husband just laughs a me. Anyway I do need all the prayers I can get. The one with Celiac is such a handfull. My husband sent me Christmas shopping (mainly to get me out of the house for a break) and I bought a shirt for him that says "I was going to be a good boy, but I got bored". That saying fits him perfectly.

I'm really not looking forward to the first two weeks. I'm going to read the book first and then develop a strategy for how to handle cravings because I know I will have them. I also need to make sure I have in the house what I can eat. This eating plan also seems like it would be good because everyone on my dad's side of the family has diabetes and I always have to watch my blood sugar because it actually gets too low.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Water will be your best friend. I'm on day 5 of Phase 1 and I'm hanging tough.
Closed Thread