Old 11-05-2006, 11:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Default need more green in my diet?

I've had 2 friends in the last week comment that they thought I needed to add some green to my steady intake of fast food and oatmeal.

Hmm. I lose 55 lbs, make amends with enemies and loved ones, get sober, work the steps thoroughly, get some exercise, get my butt to church, and now they want me to eat vegetables?

Am I supposed to be perfect?

So, what if I do...what will they want me to do next?

I don't want to eat vegetables. I get some fruit now and then. I really don't want to be worried or thinking about if I'm getting ENOUGH of a food. Imagine that...not enough food.

Ugh.

So, I'm a bit annoyed. I'm thinking I need to do some reflection on why I am so irritated by this advice.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I guess you could look at it as not just trying to be thin - but trying to be healthy.

You wouldnt be doing it for them or because someone told you to do it, you'd be doing it because your body will thank you for it.

Livi

(hehe...just got home and chowed down on a container of leftover peas, broadbeans and beans! - love those greens!)
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:10 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by marny View Post
So, I'm a bit annoyed. I'm thinking I need to do some reflection on why I am so irritated by this advice.
Marny, I'm sorry that upset you.
I can relate all too well. You know, I've noticed there are some people who appear so confident in their choices that no one would dream of giving them advice. I am not one of those. I think I'm a little bit too "nice", if you know what I mean, and people seem to think I'm crying out for help. I'm constantly getting unwanted advice.
You're incredibly nice, too, and that may be your "problem" as well.
My sister (I love her dearly) is "full of herself". She's got self-confidence bulging from her seams, and NO ONE ever offers her advice.

I try to remember this, and how much it effects me. I try to appear more certain about what I'm doing, and if someone DOES offer me advice, I sort of laugh and fluff it off and say, "Oh, I'll just do what works for me, but thanks for your concern." And change the subject.
It's freakin' hard work, and I'm still practicing to "get it right".

As for the veggies... Marny, I'm so glad you've shared this, because I thought you WERE perfect!
I hate 'em, too. If someone makes them for me, I'll eat them, but I'm too lazy to do the prep work.
One day you may start eating more vegetables, but you're doing the best you can right now. And that's great.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/248/155

Height: 5'3''

I'm so glad you posted this. First off, your post had me .

I think what Ellis said makes alot of sense. Some people often get more "advice" than others. I have often felt bad about my dislike of veggies. I can handle peas and green beans and corn, lettice if the salad dressing is a kind I like (not many).

It just tasts bad to me. I think I hang out with some of the most health food conscious moms around. Pot lucks and playgroups usually include tons of greens, beans, and other weird (i think) veggies foods.

Last week I watched Dr Oz (sp?) on Oprah, he mentioned something about tast buds and why some people don't like veggies. I wish I could remember exactly what he said, something about lots of tast buds versus fewer tast buds, and veggies tasting bitter and unappealing. I thought Bingo! That must be me! I always wondered how people liked those foods, now I am thinking that they just taste different to them, better, good even.

It is hard for me to know what parts of my personality and what traits I should work to change, and what parts I should just accept. For years I have been beating myself up for not liking the "healthy" foods. Now a 1 minute spot on Oprah is making me re-evaluate my thoughts. Maybe this is the "wisdom" I needed to accept it for what it is. Accetp myself as someone who does not like many foods.

Sorry to ramble so much.

How is your reflection going, any insights you want to share?
CrispyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 163.5/142/120

Height: 5' 1"

Sometimes it's hard to know what people's motivations are for giving unsolicited advice. If it's from someone we really respect and value their word, then we can look at it like they care about us and are just trying to help. Or it may be for some, that our success is a little threatening and they want to get "one up." Or don't we all know someone who is a "know it all."

I'm sensitive to people's opinions and what they think of me. Definitely something that I know will come up as I work through the steps. My son has always been very verbal and that can be good as I hope that his ability to articulate will help him in life, but it can also be a real pain in the *#% for anyone having a debate with him. I have gotten unsolicited parenting advice all the time (mostly from relatives). I took a parenting course from someone whose parenting skills I really admire as well as her great kids and she told me once to say, "Thank you, I'll keep that in mind," and then we can choose to heed the advice or not. I have used this in so many areas of my life!

For me, vegetables have always been the first thing to go when in binge mode in the past. But now that sugar isn't clouding my taste buds so much, I'm trying to squeeze them in when I can and do anything to make them taste better. They are the number one fighter of many diseases. I grow a lot of my own veggies and love a good unique salad and have some recipes for veggies, salads/dressings, smoothies if anyone wants. I hope I don't sound like a "know it all!"

Christy, I also saw that Dr. Oz show on Oprah. I thought it was really good. He did say that some people have more taste buds and therefore don't prefer veggies but they may have more of a likening to fruit which also have a lot of vitamins and fiber. There are some veggies and fruits I won't touch!

Marny, you have accomplished so much and have been so dedicated to your recovery the past year it's mind blowing! You should be so proud! I am striving for my own recovery to be as successful as yours has been.

If you don't like broccoli then you shouldn't have to eat it! Isn't there a president that said that?! HA!

Charlene
charlenej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:25 PM   #6  

Hey everyone-
Thanks for your support and words. I woke up this morning thinking about vegetables and how I might eat them. That's a wierd way to wake up.

So for lunch today I drove right past Jimboy's Tacos and Weinerschnitzel (my friends might have a point) and went to Togo's. I got a huge salad and a bowl of chili. It was yummy- I hate to admit it, but I actually enjoyed the salad. Maybe I'll even go to the grocery store (gasp) and buy some vegetables to eat at home. But, I'm not making any promises.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 163.5/142/120

Height: 5' 1"

Yeah!!! Your body thanks you

This is my favorite "autumn" salad you might like to try to get some greens in you. Someone made it for me years ago and I've been making it ever since. I always make it for holiday dinners and it's easy. Guests LOVE it:

Crisp romaine lettuce
red onion (sliced into round rings)
red apple (skin on, cut into cubes)
chopped walnuts
capers

This low fat dressing makes it:
1/2 bottle of light ranch dressing
2 tblsp dijon mustard
2 tblsp red wine vinegar
2 tblsp honey

I usually pile all the ingredients on top of the romaine with the red onion rings layered on top and then toss right before serving.

If you're having it as a meal in itself, you can add some cubed chicken for more protein. Sometimes I sprinkle some bleu cheese crumbles on top too.

Let me know if you try it and like it (or not!).
charlenej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 276/209/160

Height: 5'5

Marny,
I too am not much of a vegetable person, but I try and eat salad everyday. Since you enjoyed the salad maybe that can be a start.

Denise
deebygrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:18 AM   #9  

Thanks guys.
I had vegetable beef soup last night for dinner. Notice...vegetable was the first word on the label. Hope it counts.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:00 PM   #10  

Big groan. I spent the morning listening to my sponsor tell me many reasons why it's important to pay attention to what I'm putting in my body (vegetables...). Yes, yes. Apparently God knew what He was doing when He decided to with this new change. I mentioned the onslaught of veggie advice to my husband this morning, and guess what he said...

Oy vey.

Guess it's time to dust off the crock pot and put some vegetables in it.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:09 PM   #11  

I know ya'll will be proud of me. I went to the store, bought a million vegetables and now have a vegetable beef stew on the stove. My daughter even helped. She liked cooking with me and tasting the vegetables. It wasn't so bad...didn't take long...and I even have the dishes done. The real test will be how it tastes in a couple of hours.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 285.4/285.4/150

Height: 5'6"

Marny I think you are doing great. I am NOT a good cook at all but have found a way to make a Chicken vegetable Noolde soup that tastes great, is super EASY, fast to make and freezes wonderful also. Hope it helps.

It tastes good without the chicken also.

Ingredients.

2 or 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 box small shell noodles (works with the whole grain noodles too)
all cans are the approx. 14 oz size
1-can green beans
1-can cut carrots
1-can peas
1-can corn
2-cans dice potatoes
1-can lima beans
4 to 6 cans fat free chicken broth
(I add 1 or 2 tsp. of cayene pepper and 1/2 tsp garlic flakes)

Boil chicken then cut into small pieces. Drain liquid off all cans of veggies, in a big pot pour cans of broth, bring to a boil then add all veggies and the box of noodles. When noodles are about done throw the chicken back in add whatever spices you wish and cook until noodles are done. The only fat is what little bit is in the chicken.

I keep mine a little thicker but if you want it thinner just add a little water.

I make it alot without the chicken also. I split it into individual servings and freeze it. Makes alot and you only make it once for a bunch of meals.
Val424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:01 PM   #13  

val-
thanks for the quick and easy recipe!

My stew is actually quite delicious. I'm a little surprised since I just threw stuff in the pot without a recipe.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:14 PM   #14  

A great cheaters way of eating vegtables ,is those fruit and vege drinks they sell in the shops ,they really taste like a fruit juice and are very nice.
This is not the healthest way to eat carrots. but if you part boil them and then drain the water out and add some butter and black pepper and saute them, they are fantastic...
kiwichic is offline   Reply With Quote