Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-30-2006, 01:38 PM   #1  
So happy to be me :)

Height: 5' 7"

Default Overweight changes your body shape?

Hi Girls

So, I had always considered myself slightly pear-shaped, since I have never had lean thighs. They have always been fat. Overall, I have been pretty fortunate to being close to hourglass. As I have lost weight, I have lost lots from my waist, and I look more hourglass from the front.

But from the side I still have a pretty large stomach, especially from the side. My waist to hip ratio is .82, so I'm considered an apple. And I KNOW this is better than it used to be, when I was more heavy.

Is it possible that being overweight has permanently changed my body shape? I am only 24, and I have not had any kids yet. I had hoped I wouldn't be dealing with a disproportionate stomach right now.

I hear over and over again people saying that your general shape stays the same, no matter what size you are. But what has been your experience? Has your shape stayed the same?
NewDay4MeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:50 PM   #2  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

Its the same with me.. thats the area that has stayed bad for me too.. I am about the same age, and I really had hoped by now that I would be down a fair more that what I actually am. My stomach is all I really need to go now.
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:33 PM   #3  
a brave new me...

By adulthood a normal body has a set number of fat cells which shrink or expand depending on the amount of excess energy being stored or burned. Each person has a different total number of fat cells depending on body type, genetics, weight during childhood, etc. However, when the fat cells in overweight people have expanded to their maximum size, they can divide, thus producing an increase in the actual number of fat cells. Obesity develops when a person's fat cells increase either in number (called hyperplasia), in size (called hypertrophy) or very often in both. I believe it is impossible to reduce the number of fat cells once they are established... only shrink them. So yes your body shape could now be different in that you might have more fat cells. The only non-surgical way to reshape your body is to shrink/expand your existing fat cells and/or increase/decrease your muscle mass. If you only diet your body will get smaller but your body shape will probably stay the same. This is why it is possible to hit your goal weight but still be overfat. Exercise... specifically weight-lifting... is the key to truly changing your body size and shape (along with your metabolism).
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:40 PM   #4  
So happy to be me :)

Height: 5' 7"

Sigh... Thank you for your reply Sojourner. I guess I suspected as much. I have heard all of those things before, but I think I needed a reminder. I have been alternating Firm videos lately. Some of them are primarily step/aerobic, and some are more strength- centered.

I probably need to just stop worrying so much and do the best I can for my body.
NewDay4MeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:41 PM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I think my body has always been V shaped and still is. I am at my goal and still wish my tummy area was smaller, but it doesn't seem to happen. When I was young and played basketball and swam a lot, I had more muscular hips and thighs than I have now. But, I never had the really small waist that I see on others.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:46 PM   #6  
a brave new me...

Oh but I can so relate to your frustration! Lets just keep at it and use our knowledge as motivation to transform into healthy, strong, lean, powerful, beautiful bodies!
Old 10-30-2006, 03:43 PM   #7  
the blond one

S/C/G: 198/126.4/121

Height: 5' 1.5"

My shape stayed the same. I'm 36-26-36. I'm not sure of the measurements before but I was very hourglassy even at almost 200.
start8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:28 PM   #8  
a brave new me...

Hey Start8 it sounds like we have similar bodies... hourglass, same height, and heaviest weight of 198. WOW you are down to 127.8! So how are you losing it and how long has it taken you?

Last edited by Sojourner; 10-31-2006 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

My body shape is exactly the same - just smaller. All the places I didn't really like - upper arms, thighs, belly - still big, just smaller. I just had to learn to love what I have. I used to dream that being thin would make me look like a super model in a bikini ad, well...that didn't happen
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:00 PM   #10  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I am also giving up my dream of ever wearing even a modest bikini in public. My body shape has stayed the same; my top half is still almost two sizes smaller than my bottom half. I look great from the waist up and the knees down, but the area from my knees to my waist...sigh. It's pretty clear to me that I don't want to eat or exercise the way I would have to for that part of my body to look great so I'm learning to accept it. The good news is that it's only a problem in a bathing suit; normal clothes hide my flaws pretty well.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:09 AM   #11  
a brave new me...

But you CAN change your body shape if you add weightlifting (complemented by aerobics)... but you have to lift some pretty heavy weights and not use machines. I recommend checking out the Body for Lilfe program for anyone ready for the commitment! It truly can change your body into something marvelous. I will be adding the weights in about six weeks from now... it really is the ticket to amazing changes.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:14 AM   #12  
the blond one

I looked at it as a change in lifestyle, not just a diet. My lose is probably slower than a lot of people because I take time off and I have PCOS.

I try keep my calories at 1200 on weekdays, 1400 on weekends and I work out 6 days a week for 30 minutes-but in the beginning I worked out only 4 days a week. I started July '05 and I was down 50 lbs by Christmas, at 136 in Mid-March and it's taken me 8 months to lose the last 8-but slow and steady. In these 8 months my lose has slowed considerably because A. It's harder to lose the closer you are to goal and B. I've taken time off for trips to NY, LV, Memphis, Corpus Christi, family gatherings, best friends Wedding weekend, my birthday, moving homes (I bought my first place), etc.

But the key for me was that after each time I went off I got back on plan when I got home and generally after binging out for 3 days I would crave my healthy food!
Old 10-31-2006, 11:41 AM   #13  
a brave new me...

I have mild PCOS as well... are you taking metformin? What kind of workouts have you been doing? Do you have before/after pics?
Old 10-31-2006, 02:01 PM   #14  
the blond one

I was on metaformin but with my weight what it is now my doctor took me off it because she didn't think it was healthy. I don't know how to upload pics but I can email them if you would like.

I either walk 4 miles (actually a walk/run combo) or do the elliptical for 30 minutes on level 12 or bike for 30 minutes at about 15 mph on level 6.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:10 PM   #15  
the blond one

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atta...1&d=1162321747

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atta...1&d=1162321782

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atta...1&d=1162321882

Does this work? I'm the blond...looking for after pics and full body shots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-29-06 Posse.JPG (36.1 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Katie and I in blue.JPG (24.9 KB, 90 views)