Old 10-30-2006, 01:14 PM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Default oils

Hi all...
I don't have much time to post here lately. You all are dedicated here.. and I thank you. I homeschool Sara - Elijah is going to be 2 in Feb. My step son moved in with us. Live has been busy.

I want to talk about oils. I like the flavour they add to my meals. Some times fat = flavour to me. I've tried cooking with Pam - doesn't work all the time. I know they are not good for me.. calorie wise. But I know some can be good for you.. of course, if used in moderation.
What oils are good for you? Which ones are bad for you?

In the past I've used vegetable oil - which I believe is bad for you. But it's cheap!

Thanks, in advance.

Dana
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:24 PM   #2  
DNR
Determined Woman

Default Good Oils

Good oils are olive, canola, safflower, sunflower & flaxseed. I'm on the Weight Watcher program and they recommend 2 teaspoons in your cooking each day.

DNR
DNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:33 PM   #3  
Suz

S/C/G: 175/128/120

Height: 5'6"

I use olive oil just about all the time! I fell in love with olive oil when traveling in Italy... it's got such a great smell and taste to it, and there's so many ways you can use it. I like to saute garlic, red peppers and portobello mushrooms in olive oil with just a splash of balsamic vinegar... put it over whole-wheat pasta... simple and delicious!
RowdyBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:11 PM   #4  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Extra virgin olive oil is great for you and very healthy! Extra Virgin Olive Oil

I know it cost more but it is worth the extra splurge. It does still have fat in it but the good kind of fat that doesn't clog your artery's. I use it when I need to cook with oil.
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:09 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I've read that macadamia nut oil is one of the healthiest there is, but it is expensive and sometimes hard to find. According to the bottle, it "contains 80% monounsaturated fat--it's healthier than olive oil!" I know the bottle label is likely biased, but still--it makes a good point

Of course, I don't always want all my food to taste like macadamia nut, but I'm in luck because I found on sale a garlic-infused mac nut oil and a chile pepper-infused mac nut oil, so I think I've got all my grounds covered now
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:33 PM   #6  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Thanks Ladies for your replies. I think it's time to stay away from my cheap crisco oil, eh? I think the 120 calories are so worth experimenting with different flavours.

Dana
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:05 AM   #7  
Live for the Moment!

I'm with everyone else Dana - I use Olive Oil for cooking oil all the time - its the only thing I buy anymore for oil. They even have some flavoured olive oils (like garlic, rosemary or sundried tomato) - they definetly add flavor to any meal - i personally like using the flavored ones when cooking chicken breast! Yummy!
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote