Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-29-2006, 10:10 PM   #1  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Hair loss? Help...

My nutrition has been the best it has ever been for the last 5 months.

For the last 3 months or so my hair has been falling out by the handful when ever I wash my hair, I mean literally, falling out. Once I wash it and then condition, I can feel it just slipping down my back to the tub. If I run my hand through it I come away with a handful, not broken pieces but full long strands. I'm not brushing it when wet, only a wide tooth comb, I'm not coloring it and I only blow dry it maybe a couple times a month if something special is going on.

My hairdresser friends say it is because of the weight loss and I know that the body reacts to changes slowly, but HELP!!! Is there ANYTHING I can do?? It's driving me crazy and scaring me.

Anyone going or has gone through this?? When does it stop??
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:20 PM   #2  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

I've noticed it as well. My suggestion is to start taking a prenatal vitamins. Mine was falling out insanely, to the point that it really grossed hubby out. I remember doc once told me to start taking them if I lost my hair post-partum. Something about the vitamins makes your hair and nail grow faster (or not fall out). It's improved since I started taking them. Of course, call your doctor, too.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Biotin supplements are also supposed to help.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:02 PM   #4  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Mine is doing this too! I never connected the two until now.

I on the other hand do colour and blow dry, but it never used to fall out like this!

Is it dangerous to take prenatal vitiamans? do I have to go the doctor for this?
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:09 PM   #5  
Starting Fresh

Mine is doing this too! I never connected the two until now.

I on the other hand do colour and blow dry, but it never used to fall out like this!

Is it dangerous to take prenatal vitiamans? do I have to go the doctor for this?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Biotin supplements are also supposed to help
I've also heard biotin is suppose to help with hair loss.
Quote:
Taking a prenatal vitamin is not much different then taking a multi-vitamin.....one thing that is different is the amount of folic acid--there is more in a prenatal. I know there is a few more, but I can't think of them off-hand. If you feel weird about taking a pre-natal, then a multi-vitamin would probably still help. Also, if you are planning to have a baby, it is recommended to start a prenatal vitamin before you conceive.
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:22 PM   #7  
I don't look back

S/C/G: 235 / 196.2 / 145

Height: 5'4"

Default Not to scare you...

but have you had your thyroid levels checked? Not that it is the only reason for hair loss, but I have been diagnosed with a form of hypothyroid called Hashimotos thyroiditis which does cause hair loss. It also causes dry skin & hair.

I'm not trying to diagnose, just a suggestion.
Losingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:02 AM   #8  
Starting Fresh

Can you take a prenatal and birth control at the same time?
Old 10-30-2006, 01:46 AM   #9  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

I have noticed the same thing with my hair! Usually when I cut it the falling out stops but it is still coming out by the handful, my vaccum looks like it swallowed a wig! I figure that it is the weight loss. I did think about my thyroid needing to be tested, but I have had it tested 4 times in the past 12 years and it has been fine.

As for prenatal vitamins Sotypical: yes it is safe to take prenatal vitamins with birth control. Prenatal vitamins have an extra percentage of several nutrients. calcium and folic acid are only two. My ob reccomends prenatal vitamins whether pregnant or not.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:09 AM   #10  
Meg

My experiences with losing weight in the past always meant hair loss after several months. However, this final time I lost weight, I did it eating much more protein than I was used to (I was/am a carboholic ). I eat between 120 and 150 grams of protein every day and have not any hair loss at all.

I'm not a scientist and don't know if there's a connection or not, but protein is the only difference that I can think of between all the past diets with hair loss and this time, with no hair loss.

BTW, I'm hypothyroid but that never caused my hair to fall out in the past - only dieting did it. So I don't know for sure, but my suggestion is to check and be sure you're getting enough protein.

The only problem I have with my hair now is how ridiculously fast it grows - I have to get it cut every four weeks. My nails grow like crazy too!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:32 AM   #11  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I suffered from hair loss many years ago when I crash dieted. I went from 193 down to115 in about 4 months after the birth of my 14 year old daughter. It subsided when I started eating properly again. In my case I don't know if it was the lack of nutrients or fluctuating hormone levels that caused it. Probably both. I would talk to a doctor about it to be safe.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:22 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

My hair has been falling out lately too but my hair has always shedded quite a bit. For some reason it seems more so now although I'm eating plenty of fat and protein.

One thing to make sure is that you are eating enough fat in your diet. If you are eating an extremely low fat diet, that could cause hair loss.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:41 AM   #13  
Starting Fresh

I had a shower this morning and watched how much hair fell out - not as much as you girls as describing - but I am finding it all over the house and in the drain and stuff.

Anyway, I am going to try and eat more protien as well look into these prenatal vitiams (if they are good for me in other ways as well!). haha My hair loss doesnt really have me concerend it is just gross to keep picking it up!
Old 10-30-2006, 11:26 AM   #14  
Mom of 4

S/C/G: 276/230/175

My hair has been falling out like crazy also. I know I get enough protein because it is one of the things I watch. I have a Dr.'s appt Friday and am going to mention it to him.
RRVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:55 PM   #15  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Meg, I was concerned that my protein levels were already to high at about 100 grams. I always hear about the liver having problems processing to much, but I guess it can't hurt to up it and see what happens. I usually have red meat a few times a week and the rest in whey, yogurt, beans, grains, eggs, chicken, turkey and fish.

I know my fat levels are good at about 25-35% of mainly monounsaturates, Olive and Flax.

I'll have to look into the prenatals, although I already take a good multivitamin and mineral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRVMMM View Post
My hair has been falling out like crazy also. I know I get enough protein because it is one of the things I watch. I have a Dr.'s appt Friday and am going to mention it to him.
Could you do me a big favor and just ask a question for me? Is it possible that just the drastic change itself from a lifestyle of a lot of "junky" (read fatty, processed, chemical laden) food to strictly whole, unprocessed foods with no flour, sugar, salt or caffine could be a factor? I would so ever appreciate it!
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote