South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 07:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Default Stay Toasty Tuesday!

Brrrr! It's really cold out this morning! There's so much frost on the ground that it looks like snow! It's not supposed to warm up much later, either. My oatmeal is just what I need to start the day!
Yesterday the girls and I worked on a craft project after school, but we all got fustrated because the glue that was recommended for the project wasn't working. Today I'm taking my hot glue gun, that should do the trick. I just have to make sure the girls get no where near it, though, that thing gets hot! We made another apple pie for their daddy, too, since he raved about the first one we made. I think Audrey has piano lessons this afternoon, too, so that should round out our day.
I'm making some red bell peppers stuffed with egg salad for my lunch, and I got out some pork chops for supper. We'll have that with baked sweet potatoes and green beans.
So what's everyone doing today?
Old 10-24-2006, 08:42 AM   #2  
Goal: A Healthy Me

Height: 5' 6"

Good morning Cottage! Pretty chilly here, too. I hope the glue gun works for the project. It sounds like you always do such nice, creative things with the girls

It's the end of my first week of Phase 1 and I'm down 3 pounds which isn't too bad considering my weekend off plan meals. I'm already feeling it in some of my pants. I'm wearing a pair today that I bought about a month or so ago and they're almost too big. I have to keep pulling them up. Now to just get down another 5 or 6 pounds and I'll probably be able to fit into all the rest in my closet!

Kim - you had asked for the recipe for the spinach meatloaf. It's not in the recipe forum because I adapted it from a non-SBD recipe and I haven't been able to "perfect" it yet. This is the second time I've made it and it was yummy, but it was a little watery and the meat didn't have the density of meatloaf. You're a good cook, so maybe you can help.
Basically I just swapped the trad. meatloaf ingredients for those of one of the SBD meatball recipes.

1 - 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef
pepper/salt/garlic
1/2 cup egg substitute (or you can use 2 eggs)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Mix well.

For the spinach part it's 10 oz. frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and drained well *I think this is where all my water came from?
1 cup reduced/no fat sour cream
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
Mix all together

Then you can either spread the meatloaf mixture out, top with the spinach and roll up so it's nice and fancy. OR you can do put 1/2 the meatloaf in the bottom of a 8x8 pan, put the spinach in and top with the rest of the meatloaf (the easy way LOL). Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.

It came out pretty good and besides the baking time it didn't take too long to make. DH & the kids liked it too.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:48 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'm freezing a little too this morning but 'tis the rain that bothers me most. I could never live on the West Coast! My Girls are snuggled in their beds again and look like they will "never budge 'til Spring"!

Your day with your Girls sounds great, Cottage. Those glue guns can really give a bad burn, can't they! Egg salad in peppers - I think I'll make that for lunch and I already have pork chops ready to go for supper.

Unfortunately I had an encounter with the Popcorn Demon again last night! I guess I finally must admit that it's one of my trigger foods along with innocent looking Melba toast. Today will be a strictly to programme and lots of water day for sure!

If it's not too miserable today I may get outside to do a bit of tidying. The wicker furniture needs to be readied for winter storage in the barn loft and there are hoses and tools to be cleaned and stashed away. I need staff! Lucy and I will go to do our job for TheraPaws at 5:30 and I'll come home to my pork chop supper ready to eat now that I've rediscovered the oven timer!

What's happening on your stretch of The Beach, soggy or not?
Old 10-24-2006, 08:52 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

Good morning, Kelly. We were posting at the same time. on the three pounds!

That meatloaf sounds just fine. When you get to Phase II you could add some whole wheat bread crumbs to "bind it". For now, how about some bean or chickpea flour? Or even mashed kidney beans? Just a thought.

I have the dishwasher and the washing machine running at the same time and just wondered why there's no hot water for my bath!
Old 10-24-2006, 09:04 AM   #5  

cottage - I've got to remember to pick up more glue sticks. We went through mine when the scouts made water bottle rockets at the campout. My glue gun was the only low temp one and the high temp ones melt plastic. Have fun!

kelly - congrats on the loss. That meatloaf recipe sounds good. I have one we really like but it uses the whole wheat breadcrumbs so it is phase 2.

ruth - DH and I ate out for lunch yesterday and while I did check their website for nutritional information, I didn't stay totally OP. I did eat the filling on the sugar free apple pie. I tasted a bite of regular and had to put it aside. It just tasted too sweet! Try to stay warm. I couldn't handle your kind of cold.

me - DH and I had fun shopping yesterday. We picked up some things for camping including a new sleeping bag for me that is rated for 0 degrees F. That should keep me MUCH warmer than the bag I've been using! We camp again the first Saturday in November and that will probably be the last time for the winter. This bag was on sale for $30 which is an incredible price for a bag this warm. I've got nothing much planned for today. If the rain holds off, we'll be out selling popcorn again tonight. It's the last week and Brian keeps raising his goal. I need to start figuring out where I'm going to put almost 40 cases of popcorn in the house! At least delivering is good exercise.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:10 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

Barb, lend me that bag! I am off to that retreat in the woods this weekend and, although we are in cabins, they are not heated! However, I refuse to invest in a sleeping bag for two nights so will put something together with sheets, safety pins and a comforter. I'm too old for this stuff!
Old 10-24-2006, 09:28 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Morning ladies! I'm trying to be enthusiastic, but, to be honest, I feel terrible!! It started last night while the boys were over watching the game. Sinus pressure, cough, trouble breathing, the whole nine! I even had to do a breathing treatment (because of my asthma we have to keep a nebulizer at home). I haven't done one of those since January. I don't mind missing a day of work, and I don't mind not being able to cuddle with DH, but do you know what I do mind? The fact that I probably won't be able to work out today!! It's so frustrating because that's the one thing I can control!!

Oh well, let's look on the bright side : I get the whole house to myself ALL day, I get to watch all my old shows on HGTV, I don't have to change out of my pajamas, and I love to snuggle up under the covers on chilly days!!

Cottage: Your day (and your dinner) sounds wonderful! Hope the glue gun works on your project!!

KellyJ: Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to have to try it out! I bet all that liquid is coming from the spinach. When cooking with spinach, I let it drain for about 30 minutes, then wring it out, then smoosh it into some paper towels. This usually takes care of most of the liquid. If not, Ruth's idea sounds like it'll work! Maybe even better! WTG on the 3 lb. loss!!

Ruth: Sounds like you have a busy day! Our dogs are that way as well. I wish I could fall asleep half as quickly as they can! I'm with you on the weather, rain just makes me so drowsy and mopey.

Barb: Man, what a steal on that sleeping bag! Nothing's worse than not getting any sleep because your sleeping gear isn't rated for cold weather! DH and his buddies are old fashioned and HAVE to use bedrolls. I guess they're not "cowboying" it if they have a comfy bag to sleep in. Sheesh! Brian's doing so great -- and what a HUGE support he has in you!

Hope everyone's day is great!

Last edited by Kim_Star060404; 10-24-2006 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:49 AM   #8  

Brrrr is right! It's 34 degrees right now.. I hope this is as cold as it gets!

cottageThe Glue Gun is a Crafters Best Friend I have a "hi" temp and low temp one... I got tired of burning my fingers !!!

Kelly: That meatloaf sounds quite tasty! hmmm, maybe in addition to draining, squeezing the spinach would help? or maybe cut the sour cream in half? Just a thought.... on that 3 pound loss!!!

Ruth: Maybe you can quickly sew up 2 flannel sheets and stuff them with the comforter, Dadaaa, instant carrying bag and makeshift sleeping bag..heheeee! Or maybe some one in town has one you can borrow!

Barb: $30..IS A STEAL! I had an "Arctic" bag, and even in October I would wake up in a sweat.

I finished a garden stepping stone yesterday.. It's a mosaic with a white dragonfly in the middle surrounded by colored glass... Today I'm painting a memory box and I'll decorate it with these rub on stencils... And may tackle making a sun catcher. I'm trying to get the less time consuming gifts done before I break out the needlepoint/crewel projects...

I had a berry smoothie for breakfast YUM! Bean Salad for lunch and dinner I think will be a chef salad...
Have a MARVY DAY GALS!!!!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:24 AM   #9  
beachbum

Good Morning Ladies

Have to type with one hand.I hurt my left hand driving home from our canaster card game,yesterday afternoon.Can't type anymore hand is hurting.

Will post later after I rested my hand

Hugs BB
Old 10-24-2006, 10:35 AM   #10  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Morrning Ladies! It's so cold outside!

I think I'm starting to catch Daniel's cold which will be no fun for me. I dread getting sick, but its inevitable when everyone in the apartment has got something. Dan stayed home today again. We found out that Gizmo has an upper respitory infection but it's mainly in his eye. So we have to keep both the s seperated until they both are 100%. Work started off with a bang this morning. Luckily I had enough time in between faxing out state bid quotes to get my breakfast and tea. Speaking of which its 10:30... need to grab my snack and tea brb.

*brief pause*

mmm snow peas and tea Anywho. I did good yesterday. I lost a pound and a half on my first day back on P1. : My ticker was bluffing the past few days so I finally got around to fixing it and added my new Thanksgiving Challenge. I was hoping to actually get out and exercise today, but so totally forgot that I have a meeting with my old college at 5:30 this afternoon. Hopefully they say I can come back.... I have no clue what I'm going to say when I go infront of the review board.

Do any of you watch Heroes on Monday nights? I looooooove that show. Ah well I need to get back to snacking then get working before lunch. I'll try to drop back in and get everyone individually later.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:03 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 205/196/170

Height: 6'

Well, it's cold here to though I must say it sounds warmer than where the rest of you are. I'm skipping school today because I'm sick. I haven't been sick since I started losing weight so I'm kind of bummed. Usually when I'm sick like this I only eat soup and saltines. I don't think that's SBD friendly. Anyone got any suggestions of what I can eat that's SBD friendly and won't upset my stomach?

Ruth, if popcorn is one of your weaknesses, there is a Phase 2 recipe in the SB cookbook for cheesy popcorn that you can have for a snack. I'll post the recipe on here if you want me to.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:31 PM   #12  

Ruth - I agree that you should try to borrow a sleeping bag. Also, try sleeping with gloves on and a couple of pairs of socks. That helps some.

Kaity - Homemade soup is definitely South Beach. You can take basic chicken broth and add stuff to it for a easy phase 1. You can use whole wheat crackers in phase 2. If you are still in phase 1 and you feel like you need the crackers then eat them but make sure they are ones that would be okay on phase 2. It's most important that you be able to eat when you are sick so you can get well.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:23 PM   #13  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

'ello all! I am back and have lost 4 lbs since restarting south beach, tried a cheaper diet and it didn't work. Oh well. didn't gain any, that's a plus.

I was so cold today I stayed in bed until 1:30.

Also, if you remember my hair was red, I couldn't take it anymore, I just love it black too much so went back:

<<<<<

Hope everyone is well!
Old 10-24-2006, 03:06 PM   #14  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Oh! Also, I'm in beauty school now! Yay!
Closed Thread