Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:04 PM   #1  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

Default Eating a big breakfast and lunch?

I'm thinking of changing my eating routine. For a few years now, I've been drinking a slimfast shake for breakfast (I drink it for convenience mostly), another shake for lunch, with a 100 cal. bag of popcorn. It's been easy. Boring, but easy. But by the time I get home from work, I am famished! I eat a HUGE dinner and stuff myself. I don't snack at night, which has been a big hurdle, and walk for an hour instead. I have steadily gained weight, not one lbs. gone. I know it's the big dinners.

Now I'm starting to think I should get over my laziness and eat more for breakfast and lunch, so I'm not so hungry when I get home. It will take some thinking and planning (I'm a first grade teacher with 2 small kids) which is HARD for me right now, but I've noticed on weekends I eat more during the day, and don't feel like eating much dinner.

Have any of you switched to eating more during the day? Do you feel you eat less in the evening? It's going to be hard to let myself eat the majority of my calories before 4:00. My body is used to eating only about 500 cals. before then.

Thanks!
Heidi
(BTW, I have about 40 lbs. to lose)
Old 10-22-2006, 10:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

I haven't changed my plan, but I definitely do try to eat more for breakfast and lunch than for dinner. I usually have had about 700 calories before dinner. You are having a lot of sugar and other carbs with those drinks and popcorn. I would probably try to get a little more protein in there with low fat cottage cheese or high protein/fiber cereal or protein/fiber loaded oatmeal. You also need more vegetables and fruit than you are getting from those shakes.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:08 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm really anti shake diets for that reason... You load yourself up with HUGE amounts of carbs and sugar all morning and it makes your body crave heavier stuff in the evening. I don't see how it works really. If shakes are still easier for you you'd do a lot better if you found some good whey protein and made your own shakes! I try to eat about 700 cals before dinner as well... broken up into about 3 smaller meals. It keeps me full throughout the morning and when dinner rolls around I'm rarely hungry enough to overeat.

Hang in there!!!
Old 10-22-2006, 10:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I personally find that eating healthy food throughout the day helps keep me on an even keel emotionally and mentally -- and even keeps me awake. I've always eaten breakfast and lunch, but since I started eating healthy food, I have stopped falling asleep in the afternoon -- literally, since HS, I fell asleep nearly every afternoon. I thought it was my "body clock," turns out, it was bad nutrition.

I also believe that eating regularly really does help keep me from binging. I eat multiple times during the day. I don't like getting to the point where I'm so hungry I eat mindlessly.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:16 PM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

I eat all day. I will have anywhere between 800 and 1000 calories before dinner. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, and stick with whole grains and lean meats. I have popcorn as a late night snack ocassionally. And I don't go in for meal substitutes like those shakes that don't really offer you anything near what a good well-balanced meal would. You'd be better off to have a bowl of oatmeal over those shakes.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:53 PM   #6  
lose2liv

S/C/G: 174/150/134

Height: 5'3"

I just started eating breakfast, meaning cooking something warm, usually scrambled eggs and toast, and siting down to eat. It has made a tremendous difference in my day. I give myself permission to actually eat some calories. I feel really good when I go to work and I have a 100 cal snack and then lunch. I definitely need another 100 cals before I go home, or I still want to gorge just out of habit. I need something to tide me over until dinner.
So far, I think the change from having a protein bar in the morning to having real food has made a world of difference.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:06 PM   #7  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Thanks for the help and advice, guys. I went to the store tonight and for the first time in YEARS, didn't buy the slimfast. I did buy stuff to make sandwiches with lean turkey. For dinner, I bought some Budget Gourmets. Quick, easy and cheap. I also bought some corn and applesauce. It's a start! (not a huge veggie/fruit eater. My bad.) For breakfast, I got eggs and toast. That should be easy enough.

I hope this works!

Heidi
Old 10-22-2006, 11:16 PM   #8  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

I agree, that the shakes aren't giving you enough of what you need and to much of what you don't. No wonder you're starving. The processed carbs keep you on a high for a little while, then drop you flat, leaving you "needing" something again. It's a vicious cycle.

As a proponent of whole foods, I know it is more difficult, but I have a suggestion. One of the things i've done for ease is to make my fruit smoothies with flax seed and whey protein in advance and freeze them, then you can just pull it out of the freezer and you're ready to go! Voila, an adult popcicle!
Old 10-22-2006, 11:34 PM   #9  
WW Moderator

Karen, what kind of whey protein do you use? I've tried to freeze a smoothie before, and the texture was really ...icky. Do you add yogurt or some other kind of dairy?
Old 10-23-2006, 12:06 AM   #10  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Hello doIlookfat. You didn't say how much weight you have to lose. Some women don't have much to lose hence it is harder. But if you are heavy and really need to get pounds off and not just a few than you need to take a better look at what you are doing.

This is what I eat on a typical day:

Breakfast:

1 apple, 1 orange, half a grapefruit, 1 banana, sometimes I'll add strawberries or blueberries but I make this into a smoothie with Ice! (The premise behind this is I have read a few different books/websites where your body needs to detox before noon. Also that fruit MAY spoil in your tummy if eaten with other food. Not sure if it is correct or not but I like the smoothies and need to get my fruit in anyhow and it is a great way to start my day. I feel full and actually have energy and am not weighed down. The days I do "slip up" and not start with fruit are the days everything caves in on me and my good eating gets thrown out the window.)

Lunch:

1 slimfast, 2 oz of tuna(in water) w/ 1 tsp of light mayo, 1-2 slices of whole wheat bread. I only do tuna maybe 1-2 a week, you have to be careful w/ the mercury! Or more often than not, I have a little bit of peanut butter on the bread. Like 1-2 tbs, (you could also substitute with turkey if you like)

snack: 1 yogurt or 1 serving of total(no milk) or honey bunches of oats(no milk)

Dinner:

It varies. I try to do boneless skinless chicken breast with 1 cup of rice (I am working on switching to brown)and brocolli and carrots 3 times a week. I usually add in a bit of bar b q sauce or sweet n sour for flavor, or add a marinade to the chiekn. One nite, usually Sunday, I will have red meat like low fat roast or a steak with 1 cup of mashed potatos and a vegi. Once a month or so I will have french bread or rolls.

The other nites I will have bean and cheese burritos w/ spanish rice, go easy on the cheese, sometimes use mozarella. Or once every few weeks we will have lasagna(in moderation) or chicken enchiladas(in moderation) . I usually have to have tacos at least once a week or I freak! lol With chicken though. I use olive oil to fry the shells in, or sometimes just warm them up over the fire. Once a week I will go out to eat for lunch and I tell myself I can have whatever I want! I remember even last year that would mean a 1/4 cheeseburger with fries and onion rings and sugary soda and lots of ranch and thousand island! But I have since cut out sugary soda completely! It's just not worth it! If we go out to eat at a nice rest., I will have a salad w/ ranch, (which is like once a month) Plus a burger and fries. But I don't dip the fries in the ranch or thous. island no more and actually seldom even get onion rings any more. Next time we go, I am going to see if hubby just wants to split the fries with me and our daughter who is 2. Last time when we went out to eat I gave her 1/4 of my burger and that shaves cals off right there!! Him and I and her had split one fry and 1 onion ring and even brought onion rings home for the other kids cause there were so many but next time I go I think the 3 of us will just share 1 fry.

Anyhow. You are welcome to look at my fitday. If you are eating too few cals your body may hold onto the fat as well! That is why small frequent meals are important! Sometimes in the evening I may have some 94% fat free popcorn with ICBINB spray.

This link here really helped me.

Womens Nutrition Health Guide
Old 10-23-2006, 12:28 AM   #11  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi Jennifer!

If i'm freezing, I use 100% pure, natural, unflavored whey protein isolate, the purest form, by Now Foods. It mixes easily and through my research I found it has the most protein with the least amount of sodium and cholesterol with no artificial sweetners or additives of any kind. I can do that myself if I want to. I tried a number of others, and while I didn't mind the flavor and texture of a couple of others, I didn't like the fact that they had artificial stuff.

I buy it by the 5 pound container from Lucky Vitamin online for a fraction of the price elsewhere.

I don't use dairy if I freeze them, unprocessed dairy would just separate and turn into part ice and part "icky" stuff. *grin*

Last edited by cantforgetthis; 10-23-2006 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:24 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Someone already hinted at this, but I will say that doing things the way I do takes a LOT more time than just grabbing a shake. I have to plan plan plan to make this work.

The results, however, are worth it.

I also started slowly and built on what I was already doing...
Old 10-23-2006, 09:59 AM   #13  
It's working this time!

S/C/G: 235/212/175

Height: 5' 1.5"

Eating more frequently throughout the day has definitely helped me a lot. I eat breakfast -admittedly usually something quick during the week, on the way to work- like a cereal bar or a piece of fruit or something. Then I have a mid-morning snack- toast w/ reduced fat peanutbutter or some yogurt, maybe add in some raisins or graham crackers. Then I have lunch- turkey sandwich and a few baked chips, or a lean cuisine. Then have another snack in the afternoon- maybe a chocolate pudding cup or some fruit and yogurt. Then dinner- Lean Cuisine or grilled chicken and veggies. Then I have another snack before bedtime- an apple or pear and some string cheese or something like that.

I eat too many carbs, which I'm still trying to work on, but so far this process has worked for me. I'm never really STARVING and I usually have at least 700 - 800 calories before I leave work at 5pm.

Oh, and I've cut my Diet Coke down to two per day (that's down from closer to 10 per day) and drink LOTS of water. I try to drink my 28oz with 4 of my daily meals.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:53 AM   #14  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
I eat too many carbs, which I'm still trying to work on, but so far this process has worked for me. I'm never really STARVING and I usually have at least 700 - 800 calories before I leave work at 5pm.
Tisha you sound like you are doing good. I don't think carbs are bad for ya, just that you might want to try to have them be whole grains.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:15 PM   #15  
No description available.

You might try a small snack right after school to stave off starvation. Perhaps a string cheese and an apple. Or wheat bread with a smear of PB. Get some protein going on and you may eat less at dinner.
Closed Thread