Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/186/140

Height: 5'6

Default Vinegar... yuck

Anyone ever heard that trick where you drink so much (can't remember the amount) vinegar before each meal and you're supposed to lose weight? I actually wonder if there is something to vinegar... I say this because of my experience, which I'll share.

I LOVE dill pickles. Weird, maybe, but I can eat a whole jar of whole dill pickles if I don't watch Well, about 6 months ago, when I wasn't so insanely busy, I'd relax in the evenings and munch on pickles while I watched TV. In fact, I started eating pickles more and more. And it was weird... that point in my life was when I lost the biggest amount of weight (15 pounds) in recent years. I was cutting back on fat and calories (somewhat) but not exercsing. I got out of that habit... my food mood swings a lot... but I wonder if one has anything to do with the other.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:49 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by candace.gail View Post
Anyone ever heard that trick where you drink so much (can't remember the amount) vinegar before each meal and you're supposed to lose weight? I actually wonder if there is something to vinegar... I say this because of my experience, which I'll share.
That one has been around since at least the early 60s... didn't work then and doesn't work now, at least in my opinion!

As for the pickles... I know for sure what you mean. I love them too and even like to drink the juice. BUT what you are getting is a huge amount of SALT!!! I still eat them, but sparingly.

BTW I see that you are new here!
Old 10-02-2006, 02:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

There is actually scientific evidence to support that it works, and why it works:

Quote:
...vinegar may affect satiety by reducing the meal-time glycemic load. Of 20 studies published between 1977 and 1999, 16 demonstrated that low-glycemic index foods promoted postmeal satiety and/or reduced subsequent hunger.
If you want to read the entire article instead of just the conclusion, here's the link to it: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/531649_3

I'm a dill pickle lover too

But if you don't want all the sodium that goes along with dill pickles, try marinating cucumber and onion slices in a solution of one part vinegar to one part water for 8 hours or more. It's a light, satisfying snack.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:34 AM   #4  

Wow! Learn something new every day! I consider myself fairly well educated as to nutrition but I always assumed vinegar had a lot of sodium in it! But I just checked my bottle and you are right... it doesn't! Yippee... I love balsamic vinegar poured all over my food.

I still don't think the "vinegar diet" works though but, hey, if people think it does and want to try it go for it. I just know it has been around since the 50s and 60s and I knew lots of people who tried it but no one who ever lost any weight on it. But that doesn't mean it can't happen.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/224/175

Height: 5'8

Yes vinegar no sodium

pickles LOTS of sodium.

Vinegar will work but it also eats away at your stomach lining and causes acid reflux and potential ulcers. Therefore its probably not best to choose this diet!

but i love the stuff too
Old 10-19-2006, 03:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Misti, balsamic vinegar DOES have a small amount of sugars in it, so if you are a low-carber you might want to use a different kind of vinegar. Red wine vinegar, maybe?

Jennig, vinegar is a weaker acid than the acid that's already in your stomach, so it's not going to eat away your stomach lining unless you have a pre-existing condition. And it's actually used as a home remedy for acid reflux. (There is some evidence that acid reflux is caused by insufficient acid in the stomach rather than too much.)
Old 10-19-2006, 08:10 PM   #7  

Thanks for the info. I am not on low carbs and eat very little sugar so it won't be a problem. But I agree it needs to be used in very limited doses.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/224/175

Height: 5'8

I have acid reflux REALLY bad its caused from stress for me BUt as much as ilove vinegar and diet coke both really upset my stomach anything with acid irritates it,.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:09 PM   #9  
Working on new me in '07!

S/C/G: 293/293/253

Height: 5 foot!

I have heard the vinagar thing, but never tried it. I love pickles but not that much to eat them all the time.

The cucumber thing is awesome!!

I have heard the thing about the about the acid reflux being from not enough acid. But I've never tested it with my body to see which way it goes with me. It might be something that I try!!
Old 10-21-2006, 09:22 PM   #10  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 191/175/150

Height: 5'9

Hi, hope noone minds me jumping in, but I have to comment. I worked for me! (Vinager, that is) I read about it and tried it out for a long period of time. Before each meal I would drink a a tablespoon of apple cider vinager, it has apple pectin in it which also helps you lose weight. I lost 20lbs doing that. But I must admit, I did try to eat right and stay away from fast food, but I wasn't perfect. I barely went to the gym or anything and I kept the wieght off until I had my two babies...
I'd give it a shot for sure...
Old 10-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #11  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 191/175/150

Height: 5'9

Closed Thread