The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 10-18-2006, 11:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Default Oct. 18 show discussion thread

Hey all, thought I'd start a thread to discuss this week's show so that no one reads the chat thread on accident before they get to see this week's episode if they taped it.

SPOILER ALERT................

Could you guys BELIEVE Amy's progress in the followup??? My goodness she was just amazing!! For those of you who missed, she had lost another 40 since being sent home in this week's episode and was up to like -88 total. She looked terrific! So motivating for me to see tonite as I was huffing and puffing away on the treadmill.

I've lost interest in the show though now. The red team rude girls are not someone I'll be interested in following, and all the girls are gone from blue (although I agree with how they voted; she had the fewest pounds to lose to help the team move forward). I don't see myself getting attached to one of the guy's stories really. Too bad.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:59 PM   #2  
banned

can someone plz tell me how it ended??? the dam dvd player cut off the end!!! all i saw was amy and how she looked and in midst of her clip, it cut.

why in **** did bravo stop the reruns??
Old 10-19-2006, 02:56 AM   #3  
Determined

Marty and Amy both voted for Rick to be voted off, since he's the heaviest but hasn't been losing much. The guy from TN and Rick both voted for Amy, reasoning that since she's closer to goal she wouldn't be posting the large numbers as the show goes on. Bryan also voted for Amy for the same reason, so she went home. In the clip of her at home though she looked AWESOME!! She is so gorgeous! All the clips were of her doing fun things like kayaking, going to the gym, going shopping etc.. It looks like she really got it together. She even said she was finding the whole diet and exercise thing "fun." So she did really great at home.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:59 AM   #4  
Determined

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbabe View Post
Hey all, thought I'd start a thread to discuss this week's show so that no one reads the chat thread on accident before they get to see this week's episode if they taped it.

SPOILER ALERT................

Could you guys BELIEVE Amy's progress in the followup??? My goodness she was just amazing!! For those of you who missed, she had lost another 40 since being sent home in this week's episode and was up to like -88 total. She looked terrific! So motivating for me to see tonite as I was huffing and puffing away on the treadmill.

I've lost interest in the show though now. The red team rude girls are not someone I'll be interested in following, and all the girls are gone from blue (although I agree with how they voted; she had the fewest pounds to lose to help the team move forward). I don't see myself getting attached to one of the guy's stories really. Too bad.

I'm so with you. Last year I watched every moment religiously and I was so hooked. This year I fast-forward through most of it, and I definitely fast forward once the red girls start their crap. I thought Kai was funny the first week, but increasingly her abrasive, whiny personality is grating on my nerves. Heather's always has. So I'm just not enjoying it this year. I didn't like the smirks on the red teams faces when the blue team got low numbers. I understand it's a competition and I understand the anxious faces etc., but the arrogant smirks on the faces of Heather and Kai in particular were really obnoxious. And then Kai looked like she rolled her eyes when Amy was talking about making it past her goal of 40 pounds with tonight's weigh in. Oh well. I'll just have to keep fast-forwarding and just stop for the moments that Bob takes his shirt off.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Daisy, I wondered if anyone else would catch that during the weigh in. Yes, it's all "edited," however, they can't put in things that didn't happen. Yes, the looks of smirking and totaly disrespect were unbelievable. Amy knew when she got her number that that last guy would have to lose 10 lbs and probably didn't, so she found something good to say. The red team was all like, just get off the stage so we can get on with our win (altho, in their language it was probably "kicking your a**es, right?!) Now I guess my motivation will be just watching to hope one of them doesn't win!!

Has anyone had the thought that they picked the crass vs the civilized in this game? The guys aren't so bad, but I mean the girls. Kind of like the way the apprentice and survivor have been set up in the past. I don't think the trainers pick their own people as much as the producers pick the personalities for each team. blech!
Old 10-19-2006, 07:06 AM   #6  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydaisy View Post
Marty and Amy both voted for Rick to be voted off, since he's the heaviest but hasn't been losing much. The guy from TN and Rick both voted for Amy, reasoning that since she's closer to goal she wouldn't be posting the large numbers as the show goes on.
I think instead of "Rick", you mean Erik?

Yeah, I was really surprised to see Amy go too! She definitely didn't go out with a whimper but a bang too. But she took that energy and used it to fire her up at home... and wow, she looks amazing!

I agree with the Kai-haters It's funny, she's got this sweet pixie face but her personality is just awful. So junior high drama loving

I'd have to say my favorite contestant is on the Blue Team: Brian from California Sorry my online Red Team!
Old 10-19-2006, 08:12 AM   #7  
Day 1 back on plan...

S/C/G: 244/tickers/175

My favorite part of the show was that they were working out at home. Gave me some ideas while I'm not going to the gym. Thinking about getting that cook book as well.

I've never watched the show this is my first season so i have nothing to compare. The girls on red are rude. The one that said she would drag her bloody stump across the line if she had to was just a little over the top. More come on's you can do it then yelling at the poor guy not like he didn't feel bad enough already geeezzeee
Old 10-19-2006, 08:28 AM   #8  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I was glad to see that the blue team won the challenge this week! It's a shame that the blue team can't catch a break at the weight ins as of late cause I know they work so hard.

Amy looked really different when they showed her before and after pictures. I did notice at the weight in that Kai was making faces at Ken when he went to weigh in like he wasn't going to do good cause he didn't finish the challenge. The girls on the red team need to learn to give someone a break. I think its funny how one week they are all supportive and what not (when Ken's son was sick) and then can turn around and curse and yell at him the next.

As far as interest in the show, this is my first season watching and I'm hoping that it gets better. I haven't liked Heather or Kai's attitude and now they are turning Pam into a psycho too! There's supposed to be something big happening next week so it will be interesting to see how it all ends.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:27 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

One thing for certain about the show, the contestants are looking great! I am so amazed at their success so far. I wish they didn't bicker so much but I imagine a lot of that is editing, or at least I hope so. I think the blue men behaved badly last night voting off Amy. She worked so hard. Oh well, she looks incredible now.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:48 AM   #10  
Headbanger

S/C/G: 225/218/180

Height: 5'9"

I think Pam was right in saying that the 4 guys on the blue team are going to have a hard time pulling big enough numbers every week to get a high enough percentage to beat the lesser weight of the girls on the red team.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:33 PM   #11  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I too was surprised by the guys voting Amy off...she doesn't have to lose as much to get the same percentage....we will see. I'm leaning towards CA Bryan winning, too. And it ain't just 'cause I'm from CA... I like Ken, too...but I think he needs to get his attitude together...maybe his trainer might wanna look into it? He was so focused before...this week he seemed off...did they mention anything about if his son was better?
Old 10-19-2006, 03:08 PM   #12  
banned

ok now im p/o. just went to the bl site and it looks like they hd planned to put the eppisodes back but when you click on full episode theres nothing there.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:23 PM   #13  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

To be fair, I was rather surprised that Ken just quit during the challenge, knowing that it put him into the hot seat for eliminations. The girls sure didn't handle that well at alllllllll......I think between the running up the stairs and then having to get up, sit down, repeatedly was a bit too hard on Ken since he's bigger than the rest of his team.

As for the weigh-ins, frankly in my opinions, the blue team should've won that hands down. I mean ****, the red team women only lost 3 pounds on average here. I totally don't get this whole percentage stuff.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:01 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 270/207/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydaisy View Post
I'm so with you. Last year I watched every moment religiously and I was so hooked. This year I fast-forward through most of it, and I definitely fast forward once the red girls start their crap. I thought Kai was funny the first week, but increasingly her abrasive, whiny personality is grating on my nerves. Heather's always has. So I'm just not enjoying it this year. I didn't like the smirks on the red teams faces when the blue team got low numbers. I understand it's a competition and I understand the anxious faces etc., but the arrogant smirks on the faces of Heather and Kai in particular were really obnoxious. And then Kai looked like she rolled her eyes when Amy was talking about making it past her goal of 40 pounds with tonight's weigh in. Oh well. I'll just have to keep fast-forwarding and just stop for the moments that Bob takes his shirt off.
I'm going to have to second you on this. I rarely am introduced to a group of people I dislike, but I truly dislike the girls from the Red Team. I think the producers have made a mistake by keeping these girls together. I think they should do something sneaky, like shake the teams up, to keep viewers interested.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #15  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

It sounds like they are going to shake things up big time in 2 weeks and bring back the 36 at home/online contestants?
I LOVED the gym closed thing and the eating more normally. I think the producers realized how unrealistic last year's losses were and how it can actually discourage the audience instead of motivate them.
The one guy (TN I think) said back home he won't be eating plain grilled chicken and fish with steamed veggies every night, so I guess that's all they get usually. Eating at El Pollo Loco and with the chef is much more what real life is going to be like. I know the chef is for the whole cookbook tie in promotion but I don't really care. If it's as good as the TBL exercise dvd and as reasonably priced, I'll buy it.
I don't hate the red team as much as you guys, but they are kinda b**y. I know an awful lot of women like that however.