Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-18-2006, 09:08 PM   #1  
I'm doing it!!!

S/C/G: 200/193/140

Height: 66.5

Default Water to lose?

I work in a family practice clinic. I have read online that drinking a ton of water can help you "flush toxins and fat". I asked the MD I work for and he said that isn't true. He also said that water can not curb an appetite. I read that it could!!! Is he right or is this skinny doc ignorant?
i2kandoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I confess to being a cynic, an anti-water hold-out on these forums. I barely drank any water when I lost weight and it had little effect on my weight loss. I don't think it takes a lot of water to flush out toxins, your kidneys filter toxins on a normal amount of water. How can water flush out fat? That just seems like hooey. In my opinion, water or other beverages can curb the appetite - in the short term.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:35 PM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I tried for one week to make sure I drank 80 oz. water daily, gained 2 lbs. that week and haven't done it since. I also drink coffee and crystal light, so I was getting too much fluid. I now stick to 48 oz. of water besides my other fluid. The only thing I have noticed a benefit for with a very large quantity of water is if I am retaining fluid from too much salt, then it does tend to "flush" me out and drop the water wt. quickly.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:47 PM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Water CAN help you lose weight. The sodium and carbonation in sodas help you retain weight. So switching to water will help in that area alone.

As for curbing the appetite, I drink a sport bottle of water before each meal. Even if it's a temporary supression...how many times have we been prone to OVEReat? So if the water makes you feel full, it gives you time to digest the lesser food you will now consume in the meal so you don't over do it and miss the cues that tell you you're full. IOW, by the time the water stops making you feel full, you've digested your meal and realize you're not still hungry.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:43 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

I find that the weeks I don't drink my water I don't lose weight. The weeks I dring my 8 glasses/day I may not go down a lot of weight, but I do go down 2# at least, PLUS I just feel a whole lot better all around.

Water suppresses my appetite but I found a trick in this Fat Flush Plan book I am reading that suppresses it even more... To one litre (4 cups of water) add 1/2 cup of pure cranberry juice like Knudsen's... Drink 2 bottles of this mixture/day. I find a very big difference in my appetite since I've been doing this. Plus cranberry juice, specially the pure stuff, is supposed to be so good for you...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:45 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Oh, just wanted to add that I personally find doctors to be very UNknowledgeable when it comes to nutrition... I'd ask a nutritionist before I would ever ask a doctor about nutrition...
Old 10-18-2006, 11:16 PM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

Well, Ilene, that depends on the doctor. I have been very impressed with my doctor's guidance and suggestions.

As for the water I have no idea if it really does flush out toxins... but it certainly does curb my appetite.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:37 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 238/157/138

Height: 5'4

Water definitely helps curb my appetite. I notice better losses the weeks that I drink all my water as well.
flxthct107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:13 AM   #9  
trouble

S/C/G: 240/219/160

"The sodium and carbonation in sodas help you retain weight"

carbonation? since when?

I have actually never heard of that, and don't believe it does anything either way (the carbonation itself) due to the nature of carbonation it, by itself when trapped in your system will not make you weigh more, in fact if holding a gas in our system made us weigh noticably more, holding our breath when on the scale would make a difference

as far as deinking water goes, yes I feel like it has made a difference in my appetite, as whenever i feel hungry, i have a glass of water then let myself eat, i notice i tend to get fuller faster than before, most likely because the water is filling space in my tummy that could normally be filled with food :P then again it could be just a placebo effect, either way, water is good for us (to a certain extent obviously) and it's good to get our water in oh, and one thing i do know for a fact is that dehydration slows our metabolisms (among other things).

One thing that i think is important is that not all waters are equal.... I try to get in as much mineral/spring/artesian well/glacier water (artesian well is my fave, and best tasting for me) as i can because they actually have minerals/nutrients in them, oh and tap water is better for you than you'd think, as a rule, as long as it tastes ok in your area it's good to drink because it too will have minerals and stuff. I figure i should give my body as much help as i can now, seeing as i was treating it like crap before

Last edited by isthatreallyme; 10-19-2006 at 03:53 AM.
isthatreallyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:18 AM   #10  
trouble

S/C/G: 240/219/160

oh and as far is flushing your system out, it does help, but not nearly as much as a body detox program. water cannot flush out fat, it's not possible, but as far as things that are bad for you go, i believe water helps from my knowledge from people who have expertise in this area. I think it just makes sense that more water (to a certain point) will help with toxins. If you put a teaspoon of salt for example in a bottle with 1 cup of water and a teaspon in a bottle with a litre of water, which would be better to drink?
isthatreallyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:52 AM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I would never go so far as to say that water flushes out fat. You have to burn fat, not flush it However, I do think drinking water is an important step to good health and can help with weight loss IF you've been used to drinking other high-calorie beverages and switch to water instead (therefore reducing your calorie intake)--but it's not anything magical about the water, just the reduced calories from limiting other beverages.

Also, if you've been dehydrated (i.e., not drinking enough water), increasing your water intake can allow you to lose some weight just by reducing your body's water retention. It's not fat that's getting flushed out--just water--but a lot of people still like to see it on the scale.

As for curbing an appetite, I would never say water does that for me. However (now don't I always have a "however?" ), as human beings, we can sometimes mistake thirst for hunger. Our bodies just say, "give me something!" and we reach for food when sometimes all it really needs is water. Therefore, drinking water can seem like it's curbing your appetite, when really you're just giving your body what it wanted anyway.

I drink at least 3 liters of water a day. I do this because it makes me feel good, and I can tell at this amount by the color of my urine that I am well hydrated. I could absolutely still lose weight while drinking less water, I'm sure, but like I said, it just feels good. Water is also great for your hair, skin, lips, etc. According to a quiz recently posted in the 300+ section, the average person loses about 10 cups of water per day just through sweating, urinating, and other normal bodily functions. I assume I lose even more since I'm about twice the size of a "normal" person. Since I can't measure exactly the amount of water I get from my food, I go ahead and drink at least 10 cups a day to replenish what I expend, so add to that any water I get from food, and I am sure I am keeping myself well hydrated.

I'm not going to go into how I feel about "detox" programs, but as previously mentioned, our bodies are great at getting rid of "toxins" just fine (barring any health issues that may affect your body's ability to cleanse itself). The best thing you can do to keep your body "cleansed" is to eat healthy foods that aren't full of "toxins" in the first place!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:51 AM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
Well, Ilene, that depends on the doctor. I have been very impressed with my doctor's guidance and suggestions.
For the most part Doctors do not specialize or study nutrition unless they take that specific course in University... Lucky for you your doctor may have an interest in nutrition and he may read up on it more, or have taken the nutrition course, therefore knows a lot about it...
Old 10-19-2006, 09:12 AM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I can tell you I feel a lot better when I drink plenty of fluids. I drink unsweetened iced tea, hot tea and filtered water. One thing that I found that curbs appetite is a bit of lemon juice with water. I haven't done a bit of cranberry juice (100% not one of those mixtures) and water in a long time but I may try that again as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:31 AM   #14  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

I'm not sure about how much it helps with weight loss, but I do try to get in my minimum of 8 glasses a day.

I did hear yesterday, however, from a nutritionist on the 700 club, that getting enough water greatly reduces fatigue. That I can attest to. Before I started WW I know I wasn't getting the amount of fluids a day that I am now, and almost immediatly I wasn't nearly as tired, even before I began losing weight.
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:32 AM   #15  
Ilene the Bean

I agree Kelly, water lifts my fatigue in the middle of the afternoon better than a coffee... So sometimes I have coffee and water then I'm raring to go