Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-26-2006, 09:32 PM   #1  
Teapot Diva-short & stout

Default Walking Poles

Very interesting blurb in October 9th issue of First for Women mag about walking poles for those looking for ways to exercise. Might be fun to try to add some variety to your walking. I wondered if anyone else had tried them? BJ
BridgetJFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 365/345/half-marathon

Height: 5'5"

I have them! I love them! I'm quite heavy and walking tends to put strain on my lower back - these help me keep a better posture while I walk. PLUS, if you use them properly, they really do bring a more full workout to your walking. I feel more loose and exercised when I use them!
Inconceivable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I use them when I hike. I thought I would have to give up hiking because of some health issues, but once I got the poles, hiking has been so much easier.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:57 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

One of my primary forms of exercise is hiking. I don't use poles when I hike but I've seen many people use them. I read both good and bad things about them but really I think it is a personal preference. You might try to find some used or borrow them from someone who has them to see if you like them before committing to a brand new pair for yourself.

One thing I've noticed since I started hiking is an increase in my stability and balance. I'm not sure if I would've seen the same increases if I used poles when I went hiking.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:53 AM   #5  

Default walking poles

I don't know where you live but near me we have a store called Ocean State Job Lot (mostly odds and ends and close out merchandise) and they had the poles for about $10.00 a set. I was thinking of trying them myself. For $10 you really can't go wrong.
MoNewEngland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:55 AM   #6  

I read about them quite awhile ago and got out some old ski poles. I live on a gravel road so they work great for me.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:56 PM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

I saw people using them and would like to try them except most of the ones I saw were too short for me. When I climbed the really steep trail I ended up with a stick I found in the brush. But wow if you found them for $10 that is a deal. The ones I saw online and in stores are between $50-100 EACH! For that price I'll use my old stick.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote