Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-06-2006, 02:14 AM   #1  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

Default over come a plateau

How?
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:22 AM   #2  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

Height: 5'3"

I know this isn't an answer you want to hear, but sometimes patience is the only thing that works. You might also try "cycling" your calories, so that you average out to a certain number over the course of the week, rather than eating the same amount every day. Supposedly this can trick the body into "jump-starting" the weight loss again.

Do remember, though, that water retention masks fat loss. You may well be losing fat, but for whatever reason, your body is holding on to the water, and eventually it will flush itself out. Keep making the right choices regarding diet and exercise, and eventually it will pay off--even if you never lose another pound (which isn't likely to be the case), you'll still be healthier, and that's the important thing!

Good luck!
callystia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:58 AM   #3  
dum dee dum

S/C/G: 213/185/140

Height: 5'7½"

Yup, I agree with callystia. You may not see a difference on the scale, but your body is still burning fat.
Also, like callystia suggested, try the calorie cycle. If you also excercise, increase your time or pace. You plateau because your body has already adjusted to your diet and excercise routines, and so it tends to be in 'sleep' mode (in terms of weight). But even at that rate, you WILL still lose weight...it only takes a little longer.

Don't worry about plateauing, just think of it as the body resting before going back to work to burn those calories!
passionfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:17 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8.5"

I sure know what you mean about the plateau... I have been stuck for almost a month now. I hope yours goes away soon!!!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

How long has it been since you advanced your exercise??? What I mean is-if you started out, for example, walking 5 miles a week 6 months ago-I would hope that you have upped that since then. If you started out doing a video with 3 pound weights-then you should be using 5 pounds by now, and so on and so forth...one of the ways to become fitter is to advance your workouts so that you can become more fit-rather than doing the same thing over and over-keep it challenging if you want to continue to improve.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:50 AM   #6  

You are right, Aphil, and that is what my doctor said also. However, I am already doing over an hour a day average and it's hard to fit any more time into my schedule. I think part of my problem is our outdoor pool closed so I can't do my strenuous water aerobics. I went to a local indoor pool but the classes are so wimpy they are not worth doing IMO. But I am upping the levels of other stuff so hopefully something will work soon.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:25 PM   #7  

I agree 100% that you don't have to always add more "time" to your workouts-just up the intensity. You can still do the same 30 minutes on the treadmill-just cover more mileage by upping the speed slightly, or go up a size in weights, or buy a more advanced workout dvd with harder moves rather than a longer dvd...there are lots of ways to advance without adding extra time.

I have always wanted to try water aerobics-I love the water-but they don't have any classes in my area that I know of. It always looked like fun.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #8  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

First, are you really on a plateau? If your measurements are continuing to decrease, if you are still dropping sizes in clothing, or if your body fat % is still going down, you aren't really plateauing and eventually the scale will catch up (or it won't, but who cares because ultimately it's about how you look and feel not how much you weigh). It is really important to have another way to measure your progress. The scale hasn't moved in quite a while for me but I'm not worried about it because 1) I am still making progress in terms of my measurements and body fat % and 2) I can fit into the clothing size I want to be wearing.

I also agree with Aphil about increasing the intensity (not the length) of your workouts. Or even just doing something different. But if you do increase the intensity, you may also need to increase your calories. This was certainly the case for me. When my weight stalled at around 123, I increased the intensity (not the length) of my workouts. This didn't really have any effect on the scale until I also added 100 calories per day to my diet. At that point I lost 5 more pounds.

The closer I have gotten to my goal weight, the longer it takes the scale to budge. For the past few months, the only week where the scale has moved has been during my TOM. During that week I'll lose two to three pounds and then gain one to two back the next. This makes it feel like I am plateauing, but really it's just water retention.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:28 AM   #9  
Little Miss Random

My exerice stated in January as 20 Mins running, this has increased over time to 70mins per day, with me burning approximately 1000 calories within that time. I have also increased my intensity with cycling on the days that I cycle, again this if for 70mins at a time. My friend has recently been pressuring me into joining a gym, but I beleive that I can achieve this with the equipment that I have at home. I will start swimming, maybe 2 to three time a week, to see if that helps. As for calories, I am eating enough to keep me full, 1000 - 1200 a day all told.
I hope this plateau doesn't last as I really want to reach my goals. It'd make this the best year of me life (along with many other things)!
Old 10-07-2006, 05:47 PM   #10  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

If you are eating 1000-1200 calories per day, this means that there are some days when you aren't eating 1200 calories. You might feel full on these days, but at less than 1200 calories a day, you aren't getting the nutrients you need. This could easily be affecting your ability to lose weight. You should not eat less than 1200 calories per day without a doctor's supervision.

- Barbara
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:24 PM   #11  

True about increasing the strength of your workouts... but that can be hard to do when you are already working your butt off. But my doctor said that too... even if you feel you are doing all you can, make it harder anyway.

well today should count for me then. I hiked 2.5 miles down and back up the steepest hill on the face of the earth. Well at least it SEEMED like that, and I am used to big Seattle hills. I am already feeling the stiffness... here's to the rewards!

Loopy, I hope you find a way to break your plateau! Wow I sure do understand! That Fairy Fat Mother needs to find her way around to YOUR house and then please send her MY way too.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:03 AM   #12  
Little Miss Random

yea, i hope she does too, Ive had bit of a slack weekend in concerns to my food, I had some chocolate and a chicken kebab from the chip shop. I guess its the reaction from being so disheartened. None the less I am determined to make this week count, and get at least a 2lb loss, even if i have to run all night
Old 10-08-2006, 08:24 AM   #13  

Run all night... now there is a thought.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:12 AM   #14  

100py-are you currently only doing running as exercise??? The reason I mention this, is because you have increased your running quite a bit-so your cardio is very advanced...but what are you doing on the strength training/muscle building front? Are you doing any weights-or any resisitance exercise at all, such as Pilates?