Old 10-02-2006, 05:59 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #31

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The car said it was 91 on my way home from school! That's too hot for October for sure. It was a typical Monday . . . the science teacher gave tests to the 9th and 10th graders then wondered why they all either failed or didn't do as well as they usually do. Duh! The Monday after Homecoming week plus a bunch of students who take NOTHING home ever! This is his first year of teaching although he is older -- has alot to learn! Bob is at church for practice and I'm home alone.

"Gma" -- I'm glad to hear that Jack is sleeping better and thanks for sharing the Vitamin E tip. My mil gave me some to use on Beth's diaper rash when she was a baby. It worked like a charm. Since Amanda has gestational diabetes and has to have c-sections, she had her tubes tied after Zowie was born. Will said that if they had a boy, and they did, that they were done. I hope so because he is just like raising another kid at times. Bob's dad was also a Bob so my Bob was Bobby when he was growing up; he still is called Bobby whenever we go back to his hometown. Your knitting projects sound so nice. I'm sure the love that you put into them will be much appreciated by your son and dil. I know you will miss going to Vegas, but a new baby is only "new" once. You will be able to enjoy a new floor all year long. I don't have Gail's email address -- I wonder how she is doing. I did write to Maggie several weeks ago, but haven't heard anything from her. I miss them too.

Susan -- I'm so glad to hear that Stan is home. There is no place like home to help one recuperate faster. I haven't seen the news today. Was the Amish shooting in Iowa? I know there are also some in MN.

I need to keep moving and maybe iron a couple of shirts before Bob gets home. He started wearing long sleeves last week and now back to short sleeves. Who would have guessed!

Have a terrific Tuesday!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:08 AM   #2  

Good Tuesday morning gals! Today is dr day so we shall see what happens. Jack is really wanting to go back to work and I know that though he gets tired of it, he is itching to be doing something other than lay around. He goes out and walks everyday, but it is hot here again, today is supposed to be in the 90's so he has to get out early and get it done. I am taking him out to the plant today to get his city badge to go downtown and get our dental and vision insurance mess straightened out this month sometime during open enrollment.

Jean: I think all men are like raising kids from time to time and the younger they are the worse they are. I was watching a baby program called "Bringing Home Baby" yesterday and the parents had a 2 1/2 year old that ran the house. They brought a new baby into the mix and the kid refuses to sleep (the older one not the baby) Instead of putting their foot down they coddle the kid and let him stay up all night. It was ridiculous to see this dad with huge circles under his eyes not because their baby was keeping them awake but because they were letting this kid run the show. I am amazed at how many households are being raised by the kids these days. I have said it over and over but it is true. I guess even his day care complained about this kid and they ignored the complaints about him. Today's parents think discipline is a dirty word or something. They equate discipline with abuse and that is ridiculous. My dd started out that way, but soon realized that wasn't going to work. Luckily, Thomas is pretty cooperative but he has his mother's number and yanks her chain constantly so she yells at him, which eventually makes him cry and there you go. He is an exceptionally well behaved little boy but boy does he get to his mother mainly because he knows HOW TO!

Susan: Sounds like Stan is coming right along. Isn't it great for our two guys to be moving along in their health for once? I know he is anxious to really become proficient at moving around for himself.

I hope everyone has a great day. I need to get some chores done and breakfast made.

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:22 AM   #3  

Ugh, we both have colds today. I put Stan back to bed this morning and told him to stay there today. Pharmacist recommended Zicam for him for the cold. It has no known drug interactions. It's hard to find something when you are on so many medications - and we added 2 more yesterday. I was so upset at the doctor's office. Of course they had to take all his bandages and socks and shrinkers off, but then she was so rough pulling the clean ones on I made her stop and I did it. You don't have to cause pain because you are too much in a hurry I told her. She didn't like that put we got them on with a minimum of fuss and a few more minutes to do it gradually. Our friend built his ramp and installed it yesterday so now he can get into and out of the house by himself in his wheelchair.

Jean, it was the Pennsylvania Amish and the man that did the shooting was not Amish but had some grudge against little girls. He sent all the boys and adult women out of the school. A real nut.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:36 PM   #4  

Good Evening, Flowers! It is 86 degrees in my corner of the world! We go from one extreme to the other -- I'd like a gradual change from summer to fall to winter. I left school 5 minutes early today to beat the crowded halls and the student traffic. It was my bloodmobile day and I wanted to get going and beat the rush. When I got there, I had my choice of chairs and the place to myself. Peace and quiet is so nice! The kids were awful today and I will blame it on the weather. I was about ready to strangle a couple of them 8th hour for coming to a study hall with no books and nothing to do. We aren't supposed to let them go to their lockers so I told them I would make up some math worksheets if they came without anything again. I know they didn't believe me and that will be my project first thing tomorrow morning.

"Gma" -- I hope Jack got a good report from the doctor and you got your insurance problem straightened out. As far as discipline is concerned I'm from the old school and think there is nothing wrong with a swat on the behind once in awhile. When we are around the grandkids are always good. I still think moms should stay at home and raise their children until they are in school, but what do I know?!

Susan -- Our newspaper had the Amish shooting story on the front page. Some of the teachers were talking at lunch and said the gunman had lost his young daughter and that is why he was angry. I'm glad you stood up to the nurse at the doctor's office. I hope you reported her to the doctor or whomever would be in charge of her. It's nice that the ramp is in and easier for you I'm sure. I've heard that Zicam is good and hope it gets the colds in check before they can get worse.

I just got an update on my uncle. They were trying to wean him from the ventilator, but feel he still needs the rest it provides so may be later in the week. I went to WW and lost 1.6#. I hadn't been for a couple weeks so was pleasantly surprised.

Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-04-2006, 08:00 AM   #5  

Way to go on the weight loss, Jean. Slow and steady wins the race. Hope you got the math problems made up, serve them right for not having anything to do in studyhall.

Faye, hope the doctor gave Jack a good report. Just don't let him go back to work too soon before healing is complete on the inside as well as the outside.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:31 AM   #6  

Good morning y'all. Hope your morning is starting out well. I see Susan is up and at 'em early this morning.

Jean: I think no matter what you use for discipline if you don't tailor it to your kid you have lost the battle. If you have a kid a swat does the trick then use it, but if you have a kid where the worst thing in the world is to have to sit on a chair, then go for it. I have found each kid is different and responds to discipline differently so it should be what "hurts" the most and I don't mean physically. Take away T's video games or make him sit in his room and he will straighten right up. He HATES to be alone.

Susan: The doctor gave Jack a big thumbs up and says he can go back to work on Wed the 25th depending on how his xray the 24th looks. If it shows his sternum has healed properly then he can go back to work as long as he doesn't lift anything over about 15 lbs for awhile and that won't be a problem. He was a little disappointed he couldn't start on the 23rd, but the doctor needs to seem him with an xray one more time and he only has Tuesday office hours. Jack also has a cardiology appt that same day so the day will be shot.

I am busily working on the two sweaters. They are coming along nicely. I hope I can finish them up before Christmas and use them as part of the baby's Christmas gifts this year (really for Jay and Alicia, but since they ARE for the baby I say they are the baby's presents.) I am even learning a couple new things I haven't ever done and that is fun, though a little difficult because I have to reverse directions because I am left handed and all the directions are for right hand knitters.

Jack must have had a rough night in the bed, because he came downstairs fairly early last night and is asleep in the recliner right now. He can sleep on his side again, once the doctor has seen his xray and I know he is looking forward to that. He is tired of having to sleep on his back and use the heating pad all the time to keep his back from hurting.

Well, I need to finish some morning chores. I have downstairs mopping to do. I sure will be glad when next year gets here and I can get these nasty floors tiled and hard wood or laminate in the rest. They are a pain to try and keep clean. Jean, do you have hard wood or laminate down???

Faye
Old 10-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is 35 degrees cooler than yesterday and windy. Yikes! I have bell choir an hour earlier tonight which I like. Bob is out hauling beans to the elevator so I won't see him until later. Two more days until the weekend!

Susan -- It's nice to see your post today! Today I didn't have the yahoos in study hall because they had PE; I did make up the math worksheets so I am ready for tomorrow! I have a 9th grader who sits by my desk in another study hall and he talks nonstop. Today I finally told him if I heard one more word he would have a half hour detention. Well, he was quiet for 30 seconds and started in again. Of course he didn't show up after school so now the office gets to handle it.

"Gma" -- I'm so glad that Jack got a good report! Do you ever watch the TV show The Nanny? I've only watched it a few times but I can't believe how out of control some children are. I would be a wreck as a parent long before they got to that point. Ian's feelings are hurt when he gets disciplined and then he gets mad. Jason and Amanda always make him come to them for a hug and an "I love you" afterwards. I think that is neat. We put in Pergo laminate flooring which is supposed to be the top of the line. You've heard my 2 cents worth before . . . it's easy to clean up after animals, but it is noisy and I would never put it in again because it shows every drop, piece of fuzz/fur, drip and dribble. We bought a remnant of carpet and had it cut into area rugs which helps cozy it up a little. Maybe if I hadn't done such a big area I wouldn't mind it so much. Our entry leads down a hall to either a bedroom/bath or up a few steps to the livingroom/family area/kitchen. Our kitchen is ceramic tile and we put the laminate under the table with an area rug over it. I can just about guarantee you will be mopping every day.

Hope you all have a nice evening. Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-05-2006, 07:36 AM   #8  

Good morning gals! Jack actually slept all night in the bed and so we hope he is going to be able to do that now. We did try and make sure he was good and sleepy before he went to bed though. He still has nearly 3 weeks of sleeping on his back to go yet.

Jean: I imagine new floors are going to increase the work, but it will be easier than it is now. The rugs are a mess and look awful and the linoleum is cracking and coming up now so it needs replacing too. I guess there are problems with whatever you have. I have huge rag style throw rugs in the living room 4 of them and when we put in the wood or laminate I will use them and probably take the biggest one and put it in the dining room. I also have throw rugs in the entranceway, which will help there also. I take it you mean Nanny 911 not the comedy show The Nanny. I watched it a few times, but the parents and kids made me so mad I quit watching. I quit watching that wife swap thing too for the same reason. It is unbelievable how households are run these days.

I didn't get a darn thing done yesterday so I guess I will have to double up today. I need to get the downstairs mopped today and get the upstairs bathrooms cleaned. My dd called an canceled my birthday lunch until Monday so I can get stuff done today I guess. Yesterday was an ick day for both of us since neither of us slept well the night before. Jack did get out and walk a bit, but he waited too long and it was over 90 degrees so I told him just to do a short one.

CONGRATS TO JEAN ON HER LOSS!!!!!

I guess I better get hopping and get started on morning chores. Have a good day ladies and keep cool today if you are in hot weather!

Faye
Old 10-05-2006, 08:04 AM   #9  

Supposed to be the last nice day for a while - 20 degrees cooler by morning and rain.

Stan's cold is better but mine continues to hang on - probably because I just keep on going and he stayed in bed. I've missed so much work, I hate to take off any more and I have to take care of him. Been getting an extra hour of sleep however.

I'm going to have laminate flooring put down in a few months. The first thing they tell you for safety is to get rid of all throw rugs. Wheelchair will move easier on laminate than carpet. We have ceramic tile in our kitchen and breakfast room. I've never regretted getting that because it still looks like new after 19 years.

Have a good day, ladies!
Old 10-05-2006, 05:45 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a beautiful day in my corner of the world! The cat hating neighbor is cutting down a tree so I am listening to his saw as I type. I am so ready for Friday! I read a health test today . . . the girl had absolutely NO clue and I finally asked her if she had studied. "No, I had to babysit last night and forgot!" was her reply. Grrrrr! I wasted a whole class period on her when I could have been helping someone else. I think each year the kids get lazier and lazier . . . they want instant knowledge/grades without putting forth any effort.

"Gma" -- I suppose I meant Nanny 911 . . . it's the show where the nanny with the English accent comes into the home and tells the parents how to control their children. We had a home ec. teacher who retired several years ago. She wanted to make the foods, child development, and family living classes required in order to graduate. The principal just laughed at her. In this day and age I think they should be required and passed with at least an 85% or taken over again! I'm usually the one to trip over throw rugs so I don't have any. We picked mil's up last summer after she fell and she put them all back down this summer! Glad Jack is sleeping better . . . how about you?

Susan -- I really like my ceramic tile floors. If I would ever do them again I would put in the heated kind just because they are cold in the winter. I always wear shoes so I don't notice it as much except in the bathroom. I hope your cold is better soon. Give yourself some TLC!

I need to keep moving and dream up something for supper. Have a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-06-2006, 05:23 AM   #11  

Good morning ladies! Hope your day is starting out well. My allergies are kicking up a bit just to be a nuisance and my meds dry me out so it makes my adenoids swell so here I am sitting up until they go down so I can go back to bed for a little more shut eye. I am probably one of the few baby boomers who still has her tonsils and adenoids. They used to take them out at the drop of a hat back then. I have only had strep throat once in my life way back when I was a small kid and though I get sore throats from time to time never seem to get an infection with them so the things are still going strong. The only trouble I have is when my allergies kick in and the adenoids swell like they did last night. It makes it almost impossible to sleep sort of like apnea I would guess.

Susan: We went looking at tile and Pergo and boy oh boy, getting it and getting it installed isn't for the faint hearted. I think we guessed at our square footage and figured about 3000-3500$ for the living, dining and entranceway and about $2000 for the tile in the kitchen, bath and laundry room. I did pick out a lovely rich cherry that I like and a beautiful tile that has a gray and blue color to it. Now all we have to do is wait until after the first of the year and use our tax refund on it! My Vegas vacation took wings and flew.....

Jean: You would think that a lot of health is common sense, but the teens seem to be sorely lacking in even that. I took health as a freshman and it was a walk in the park except for a few things and that was just memorization pretty much. You wonder how the dolts figure out a way to get pregnant, don't you??? Seems like that health issue is one they can remember what to do, sadly. It DOES come back to the adults though. I mean, how can we expect kids to wait and behave themselves when NO ONE takes abstinance seriously anymore. The poor kids that do take a stand are made fun of let alone any adults that actually feel that way. Geez what a surprise it must be when you actually meet a couple who were BOTH virgins when they married and have been married 34 years. Must be culture shock to people. I find it disgusting that there is so much bed hopping and we find nothing wrong with it anymore let alone other issues, I am not going to bring up here.

I did get my floors mopped and my bathrooms cleaned yesterday so all I have is the upstairs vacuuming and dusting to do today and even finished the left side of my baby sweater yesterday and did some on the one piece too. I have the right piece to start today and the cords for the ties to make then I can assemble the whole thing. I am about halfway through the sleeves on the one piece so it is coming along too. I am at a wicked pace because I need to go and get the yarn for that blanket and get it started. It takes me so long to get it done. I think I will probably save it for her baby shower, whenever they have it. I am sure it will be huge like her wedding shower as she has a ton of friends and 2 single sisters to give her one.

Well, I am going to do some downstairs morning chores than sit and knit for awhile I think. My throat still feels pretty closed off so there is no sense in trying to go back to bed.

Have a good day gals

Faye
Old 10-06-2006, 08:27 AM   #12  

Flowers, though this was kind of interesting so I'm sharing it with you.

10 Diet Rules Meant to be Broken

Some food dos and don'ts are best ignored, experts say.

By Colette Bouchez
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic - Feature

Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

Do these diet truisms ring any bells in your mind?:

* Don't eat before bedtime or you'll gain weight.
* Skipping meals will help you take off the pounds.
* If you want to stay on a diet, eat at the same time every day.

Experts say these are among dozens of silly food 'rules' we often try to follow to the letter.

"Some are half-truths, some are complete myths, and some are clearly more harmful than others, but most of them won't help you lose weight or make dieting any easier," says Elizabeth Somer, MA, RD, author of 10 Habits That Mess Up a Woman's Diet.

Yet many of us persist in believing our weight loss programs won't be successful if we don't "follow the rules."

"In some instances, rules can offer hope, almost like a superstition," says Abby Aronowitz, PhD, author of Your Final Diet. "In other instances, they can offer the promise of control -- certain familiar food rules offer a sense of comfort."

In the end, nutrition experts say, many of the food and dieting rules we hold dear are meant to be broken - without guilt! Three experts gave WebMD the low-down on what they say are some of the silliest food rules around.

10 Food Rules to Ignore

1. Eating at night will pile on the pounds.

"It's the total calories you consume over a 24-hour period -- and more often, over a week -- that is what causes you to gain weight, and when you eat those calories doesn't matter," says New York University senior clinical nutritionist Samantha Heller, RD.

That said, because you may be more tired at night, your resolve may be lower, Heller says. So you may tend to eat larger portions, or more high-calorie foods, than you would during the day. But as long as you keep an eye on calories and portion size, feel free to set your hunger alarm to the time that suits your lifestyle.

2. It's best to eat at the same times every day.

"Eat when you're hungry, not when the clock says it's time to eat," says Somer. While it can help to keep some consistency to mealtimes, Somers says that forcing yourself to eat when you're not hungry -- or forcing yourself to wait when you are -- only makes it harder to stick to your diet. If you must eat at a certain time - say, during a designated lunch hour at your workplace -- cut yourself some slack the rest of the day and eat only when your stomach says it's time.

3. Dieting with a buddy always makes weight loss easier.

No one doubts that companionship and common goals can pay off for dieters. But Aronowitz notes that there are some instances in which the buddy system may work against you and your buddy.

"If one buddy fails and the other doesn't, it clearly upsets the balance, and could cause tension and embarrassment," she says. Ultimately, Aronowitz says, weight loss is a personal journey. If you find it's easier with a friend, remember to compete only against yourself -- not each other.

4. Dietary fat keeps you feeling full longer, so you'll eat less.

This was a well-accepted food rule for many years. But Somers says new research has challenged this logic. It has shown that while fat does take longer to digest, "it's actually the least satiating of any food group -- so no, it will not help you control you appetite," Somers says. The foods likely to stave off hunger the longest are protein foods, followed by carbohydrates, then fats, she says.

5. When you blow your diet, you might as well wait until the next day to get back on track.

Nothing could be farther from the truth, Heller tells WebMD.

"Every meal matters, so if you ate that big old piece of birthday cake at lunch, get right back on track with your next meal," she says. "You don't have to have a full day of healthy eating in order for it to count."

6. Refusing food at a party or when visiting is rude.

"If you had diabetes, or a severe food allergy to something, you wouldn't think twice about turning down a food you weren't sure of -- and you should feel that same sense of priority in turning down a food that you know will blow your diet," says Heller.

7. Skipping a meal every now and then will help you lose.

"Skipping a meal means you will be so hungry at the next meal that you are likely to overeat," says Somer. Not only that, skipping meals can actually help lead to a slowdown of your metabolism, meaning you'll burn fewer calories, says Aronowitz.

8. Bread is fattening, nuts are fattening, pasta is fattening.

"It's not what you eat that contributes to weight gain," says Heller. "It's how much you eat that matters most."

Whole-wheat bread, for example, is a great source of nutrients, and it won't make you gain weight more than any other food with the same number of calories.

9. All calories are equal.

While it's true that 1,400 calories is 1,400 calories no matter how you slice the cheesecake, experts say certain foods have a greater ability to fill you up before they fill you out. These tend to be fiber-rich, water-rich foods, like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.

Further, Heller says, you'll get more nutrients from, say, a 100-calorie apple than from a 100-calorie portion of white bread.

"All calories are equal if all you're doing is counting calories to lose weight," Heller says. "But if you care about how you are losing weight, or controlling your hunger, or the health of your body, then no, all calories are not of equal value."

10. If you don't clean your plate, you're wasting food (don't forget those starving children Mom told you about).

Tying emotions to eating (like when you feel guilty about leaving food on your plate) sets the stage for emotional overeating, Aronowitz says. If you've been taught that cleaning your plate is the best way to show appreciation for a meal, she says, instead show your gratitude with verbal praise, by asking for the recipe, or by sending a thank-you gift or note the next day.

"Food is simply a source of fuel for the body -- not an emotional payoff or payment," says Aronowitz. If you just don't feel right leaving the table until you've cleaned your plate, she says, underestimate your hunger and put less food on your plate to begin with.

Published March 30, 2006.

SOURCES: Elizabeth Somer, MA, RD, author, 10 Habits That Mess Up a Woman's Diet. Abby Aronowitz, PhD, author, Your Final Diet; director, SelfHelpDirectives.com; Samantha Heller, MS, RD, senior clinical nutritionist, New York University Medical Center, New York.

©2006 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.

I'm maintaining my weight but want to get those last few pounds off to get to my personal goal. I seem to have lost some of my motivation. I've been pretty tired so haven't been planning meals a week at a time the way I should.

We are having a nor'easter today - raining and blowing pretty badly. Supposed to be gone tonight.

I have to go and stand in line for hours at DMV tomorrow to renew my driver's license. I really hate going there. Understaffed.

Time to get to work...have a good day!
Old 10-06-2006, 06:11 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another beautiful day in my neighborhood with a stiff breeze blowing more leaves off the trees. School was ssdd as usual. I'm so glad to have a couple of days to myself. Tomorrow is my day to work in the hospital gift shop and then I may go shopping for a church/wedding outfit that I planned to do last weekend and never did. I hate to shop for clothes! Sunday the bell choir is playing at first service so have to be there by 7:30 to set up and practice. No sitting around to drink coffee and read the paper this weekend.

"Gma" -- I'm a member of the "no tonsils/adenoids club!" I had mine out when I was 5 and don't really know why. Beth had her's out when she was 5 also . . . she had a bad sore throat and her one tonsil never did go back to its normal size. The next time she got a cold, her throat just about closed completely so out they went. She had on pink pig slippers and the doctor said something about purple slippers. She looked at me and wanted to know why he didn't know his colors! Jason just had his adenoids taken out when he had tubes put in his ears when he was 3. Now I don't remember why they didn't take his tonsils out except that he never had any trouble with them, just lots of ear infections. I probably shared this last year, but I read a health test over reproduction/body parts to a sophomore who had a 4 year old son. She had no clue about any of it! Needless to say she is more interested in boys than she is in raising her child. These kids think nothing of casual sex. The STDs are scary enough without the chance of getting pregnant, but they don't think -- that's the problem. At least when you are knitting you can't eat. That's what I tell Bob when I get on the computer -- can't do both at the same time.

Susan -- Thanks for the sharing the diet rules and myths with us. Even though we are familiar with them it's nice to reread and be reminded from time to time. I am printing them to save. I am surprised at the number of students who come to school without eating anything and usually walk in with a big bottle of pop in their hand. Heck, there are teachers drinking Mt. Dew before school starts. Yuck!

I hope you all have a relaxing evening and a great weekend! The weather is supposed to be nice here.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-07-2006, 08:42 AM   #14  

Good morning gals! It is going to be a nice day here today only in the 70's later this morning. I can get out and wear my Halloween garb now! I love this shirt I bought at Walmart's for Halloween last year but it is bright orange and has all kinds of Halloween stuff on it so I can only wear it in October. I decided to wear it today to the commissary. I am so excited to go! You believe that one and I have a bridge to sell ya.....

Jean: Jay had his taken out when he was 4 along with adenoids and tubes put in. By the time he was 4 his tonsilitis attacks had caused a 20% permanent hearing loss in his one ear. I guess his little throat was so swollen all the time that the doctor said a pencil wouldn't have fit down it. He never had any more infections, but the tubes fell out in about 2 weeks and since we were transferring he never got them put back in but they had done the trick since he never had any trouble ever again. I have to tell you I am a soda for breakfast kind of girl when I am on one of my binges. I don't drink coffee, don't care very much for tea so I tend to down the soda like I do coffee. I know, it is icky, but what can I say???? Ummm, that I only drink Pepsi not ever Mountain Dew????....

Susan: I was listening to XM radio while I was knitting yesterday and heard you guys were getting slammed with a Nor'easter. Hope things are better today and you two have a good weekend together. Does Stan like to get out and do things now that he is healthier? Jack is raring to go because he is well and BORED! He was almost pacing yesterday because he got bored, but with the tight money situation we can't do much. Maybe we will see if there is anything on at the movies and go to a matinee. He has been wanting to see this WW2 picture that is coming out, but I am not sure it is out yet.

I have the back and left side of my white sweater finished so I have the rights side, sleeves and ties to knit then assemble and have about 3/4 of the one piece cardigan done, but it looks funny so I hope when it comes off the needles I can figure out how the thing folds up to sew the seams. I haven't done anything wrong so I know it is what it should look like. I am almost to the halfway point on a matching baby blanket too. I am going to do one of those beautiful fuzzy ones like I did for my niece's baby, but that has to wait until Jack goes back to work as the yarn comes in tiny skeins and is expensive. I think my nieces cost me around $75. The pattern has kind of a lace effect around the inside of the edging and I think to jazz up the one that matches the cardigan I am going to get a coordinating ribbon and run through the "holes" and then get extra buttons that match the cardigan and sew onto the corners of the blanket. I am anxious to go look and see what I can find. It is nice for the weather to be such that I can knit again. I can't knit in hot weather it is too sticky even to do it in the AC'd house.

I guess I better get Jack some breakfast so he can shower. He came downstairs around 4 and slept the rest of the morning in the recliner, but he is doing ok sleeping in the bed for the most part. I know he will be anxious to sleep in the bed on his side.

I don't exactly know why, but when we went to his surgical appt this last week they gave him a LAMINATED business card with his name and surgical date on the back and a drawing of what they did to his heart. Looks like gobbledy gook to me, but I am trusting the surgeon!

Have a good weekend gals!

Oh and PS, if you find you have dry skin you can't seem to find anything that will work, Oil of Olay has come out with a pump bottle of a lotion called Quencher. Boy this stuff is really really good. I bought a bottle because I have rough elbows and my feet are always a mess no matter what I do and this stuff really does a good job on them. First time I have ever had totally soft elbows without any dry patches even using expensive stuff. I think I paid almost $9 for a big stand up bottle at the commissary, but maybe it was Walmart. Anyway, it is well worth the money if you have a dry skin problem. It would even work well with hubby and though it has a fragrance, it is not something he would walk around smelling like a woman. I had to put my hand up to my nose to smell it just now.

Faye
Old 10-07-2006, 09:41 AM   #15  

Good Morning and Happy Saturday, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly although it is quite breezy this morning. It's supposed to be in the 80s this afternoon. My front tree is bare now and Bob is hoping for a north wind to blow the leaves to the cat hater's yard. We have four huge trees that drop leaves late so we'll have falling leaves for awhile yet. I have a load of laundry going and need to get dressed for the hospital.

"Gma" -- Boy you have been knitting up a storm! I passed up a "learn how to knit" class because it was the same night as our bell choir practice. I know how to knit and purl, but I don't know how to read a pattern. I even bought a "how to do it" book, but I would rather work with a real person watching over my shoulder. The only thing I have for Halloween is a sweatshirt with a black cat (of course!) on it. This is a dumb question probably, but do you have to buy a special radio to get XM in your house or can you just get an adapter of some sort to use on a radio you already have? Bob has it in the truck and we bought Jason a portable one for his car. Guess I never thought about having it in the house. Speaking of which, when I got home from school yesterday and turned on the TV the screen was dark . . . no picture. I could get a picture through the VCR however. When Bob got home and started messing with the remotes (one for the TV and one for the digital box) he decided that "Mom" must have stepped on one or the other and readjusted the settings. He finally did get a picture like we are supposed to have. I was seeing $$ signs again and afraid something was going to need replacing/fixed. Maybe Jack's heart card is in case he would ever be in the emergency room the attending doctor would know what type of surgery he had had. Just a thought. Thanks for the Olay tip! I can tell winter is coming and my skin is getting dryer. I've been using baby lotion morning and night.

Susan -- I hope you and Stan are having a good day! How is your cold? Better I hope.

I need to get moving. Have a great day . . . the choice is yours!

Jean -- from Iowa!