Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-30-2006, 05:03 PM   #1  
Working on 'Project Me'

S/C/G: 199 (1st goal)

Height: 5'6"

Default Has anyone ever tried deep end water aerobics?

My local swimming pool is offering 1 hr. aerobic exercise in the deep end. I was wondering if this was a good workout or not. If anyone has ever tried it, please I'd love some feedback. I'm thinking of trying it on Monday.
LadyLai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:12 PM   #2  
Opulent

I LOVE it! It's a great workout for larger people, those with injuries, joint pain etc. I like that I get a good cardio and muscular workout due to the water resistance. I also think it's fun! Give it a try and see if it works for you
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:03 PM   #3  
gea

It's a great workout.

Its higher in intensity then regular water aerobic because you keep your legs off the floor the whole time.
gea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:45 PM   #4  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

To be honest I find it really boring - sorry! I do it when I've got an injury (I did it for a few weeks when I had an ankle injury, and also whenever I hurt my back - once a year or so). It keeps me active, 'cause it makes me crazy not being able to go to the gym, but I find it kinda mind-numbing and I'm usually pretty happy when I can get back out on the trails or in the gym. That being said, I know a lot of people who love it, so it wouldn't hurt to give it a try and see how you like it.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:10 AM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

This type of aqua-fit requires you to keep your balance with your core, not your legs/feet as they are off the floor of the pool. It takes a bit of time to get used to, ESPECIALLY getting the knack of not travelling around the pool and bouncing off people like a cue ball, but your core muscles will thank you. I wish my local pool had a deep end so I could do deep water aquafit again (like I used to before I moved here!).
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I do deep-end water aerobics (called hydrofit at my gym) twice a week, and really enjoy it. I've found that you get out of it what you put into it so if you're willing to work hard and move, then you will get a good cardio workout as well as resistance. We have a great instructor, which helps a lot.

I do recommend doing land aerobics and/or lifting weights to get the kind of workout you need to keep your bones healthy.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:10 PM   #7  
Working on 'Project Me'

S/C/G: 199 (1st goal)

Height: 5'6"

Thanks everyone for your replies. I really appreciated them. Well, I got to know first hand this morning how it was. I did enjoy it, I love the water. I can understand why some of you said, it totally depends on how you work it. I was trying to keep up with instructor as best as I could and I found it to be a really good workout. I was huffing and puffing and I'm sure feeling the after affects now. I'm a little sore, but I guess that would mean it worked!
LadyLai is offline   Reply With Quote