Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 02:40 PM   #1  

Default Diennet diet

Everyone locally has been on this kick recently.

You have to go to a Dr and get blood drawn ($160 for the Dr that'll do it here), then have the blood and a LOOOONNNNGGGG questionaire sent to somewhere in CA. In return for this (plus $540, or so) you get 3 months worth of pills--3 pills, a diet pill, a nerve pill (diazapam?) and a thyroid pill. The people who have been doing it are losing huge amounts of weight in very little time, i.e. 30 lbs. in 3-4 weeks, etc. (the weight loss does eventually slow down, though) and say they feel GREAT.

One lady is on her 4th or 5th round w/the meds (she's rich) (you have to submit bloodwork once/year, I THINK) and she's lost around 90 pounds.

My question is: are we the only town that has been "struck" by this "miracle plan"?

I want to try it, but it sounds almost too good to be true to me!
Old 09-28-2006, 04:10 PM   #2  
it's always something

I've never heard of it. What are the eating? Why do they need a nerve pill? And why do they need a thyroid pill? Is it just for people with thyroid problems? (no one else should take thyroid pills or risk serious problems).
Old 09-28-2006, 04:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/166/150

Height: 5'8"

This sounds rather sketchy to me.

Isn't it dangerous to provide nerve and thyroid medication for those who do not need them? Shouldn't these kind of drugs be prescribed by a doctor and not some strange company in California?

I'd fear what the long term effects of messing with your thyroid might do.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:33 PM   #4  
it's always something

I agree. Sketchy at best!

I found their website and some of the information is not exactly encouraging.

They have a section that includes reviews of all of the major and/or famous diets. They claim that Weight Watchers and South Beach are hard to stick to and they recommend their own diet instead. Classic marketing technique. But we do know that Weight Watchers and South Beach are wonderful, healthy diets with countless success stories. They put those diets down and suggest their own, but they don't offer a clue as to why their diet is better.

I'm confused and disturbed because I've been all over their website and cannot find out what is in the pills they prescribe. They have a section of diet pill reviews, but they don't appear to be what they are actually prescribing. I think the pill reviews are there like the diet plan reviews - as a comparision and perhaps to get them more listing in search engines. Are you paying $500+ for a mystery product? What if it turns out to be something you can get at Vitamin Shoppe for 12 bucks? (not uncommon)

Why don't they tell us what kind of diet plan they are offering? All they talk about are pills, pills, pills. Why the mention of sex pills? Why don't they mention the importance of good nutrition and balanced diets? What if it's just a bunch of diuretics, laxatives, and stimulants? What if it's a very low calorie diet?
Old 09-30-2006, 10:36 PM   #5  
plucky clucky

S/C/G: 228/228/130 or less

Height: 5" 5'

My doc told me about this. He said he knows a lot of docs that give their patients thyroid to make them lose tons of weight, I was like well where is my extra thyroid, I want to lose tons of weight and he told me I was normal and that they would be hurt in the long run by doing it. It is sick to think they are making money off of peoples desperation to lose weight. I was however glad to know my doc didn't condone it.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #6  

More magic pills - people just have too much money when they buy into this bunk. They'll ruin their health and then they'll wonder why!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:40 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

Omigosh I too just looked at the website and it is sad that so many people are falling for this! People are so desperate to lose weight that they will try anything even if it destroys their health in the process, which in my opinion this certainly sound likely to do. Also... personally I would NEVER send my blood sample and that much personal info to a company such as this.

Did anyone else read the questionnaire... they diagnose you from THIS??!!! And the disclaimer:

"I authorize the Diennet Institute to disclose all informations, including medical informations, to all physicians whose names I have provided or may in the future provide to the Diennet Institute, to any physician who writes a prescription for me for any pills provided by the Diennet Pharmacy."

You've just released them to hand out your personal info to any physician they want, regardless of whether they got their degree in medical school or from a scam Internet site! And if you provide the name of your own physician, then WHY wouldn't THAT physician diagnose what medications you need rather than getting it from the Diennet? LOL I can just IMAGINE my doctor's reaction if I asked her to prescribe stuff for me that THEY recommended from my filling out their questionnaire. Yah RIGHT! What reputable physician would DO it? But I notice he also has his own pharmacy... very convenient.

I also read some of their diet reviews... interesting that ALL of them (as far as I read) are bad except theirs. And LOL one of the reasons he is against the Mediterranian Diet is that it is so hard in our current lifestyle to eat your fruit and veggies raw and that is not good with no processing. HUH?

One more thought about the thyroid pills... he says anyone and everyone can be on his diet. But what about people such as myself who really DO need thyroid meds (had half of mine removed) and who have their dosage carefully monitored by a doctor. He is going to add his meds to that and adjust their dosage of meds??? And why on earth do you need nerve pills and sex pills????? And I just googled diazepam... brand name for it is Valium! YIKES! Brand name for chlordiazepoxide HCL... Librium.

Also his bibliography tells where he spent his "early medical career" but does not say anything about his actual credentials. One could wonder why that is.

You might also want to check this link..

http://www.fda.gov/ora/fiars/ora_import_ia6645.html

"Dr. Diennet had admitted that he sometimes added drugs to his capsules. "

Or just google on "diennet" for some enlightening info. This does not appear to be his only court case. Or google on the types of meds found in the pills from that link... one of them is an anorexigenic.. definition I found "causing anorexia."

In one instance it says his patients were followed up on by his secretarial staff while he was gone. Don't people google this stuff BEFORE they send in big $$$??? But desperate people do desperate things.

This is one bandwagon I would certainly not be willing to jump on!

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 10-15-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:29 PM   #8  

Red face I'm on this diet.

Hi. I'm on this diet, as well as several people I know. Everyone is losing a lot of weight and we are feeling great. The thyroid pill is a VERY low dose. The Valium is used to counteract the jitters from the appetite suppressant. I have had great results, as well as everyone I've known. I don't know what, if any, long term effects there may be, but as far as losing weight, this works. My DR said that he's been prescribing this program for 15 years, and have had women on it for 15 years (off and on) with no side effects. Anyway, that's my 2 cents for what it's worth! And, HEY 4myself...I'M FROM ARKANSAS!!!

Last edited by jennaX7; 04-11-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:38 PM   #9  
Ari

S/C/G: 400/341/150

Taking a thyroid pill when you don't have a thyroid problem, or taking more thyroid than you need, WILL cause weight loss.... but you do NOT want the side effects of doing that. Forcing yourself into a hyperthyroid state to lose weight can cause a heart attack, damage to the heart, damage to other parts of the body, and more. Just google hyperthyroid and look at the symptoms and consequences of the condition. People go to the doctor to get this condition treated -- nobody should try to "get" this condition!!!! I have thyroid problems and I could have died if I didn't get treatment. Don't make a mistake!!
Old 04-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #10  

I was 127 pounds before I got pregnant. I gained over 80 pounds due to water weight, blood pressure, poor eating habits, abusive marriage, etc. I lost ove 60 of it on my own, using weight watchers, watching what I eat, etc. I'm using these pill to help drop the last 20 or so I want (and did) lose. I think possibly ABUSING the use of a thyroid pill would be harmful, but I'm not doing that. I don't plan on continuing this diet as a lifestyle, just a little help.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:19 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

It doesn't sound very safe to me. Use thyroid medicine that is designed for those that have thyroid problems, then using valium to counteract jitters from some appetite suppresant? That sounds scary to me.

It also doesn't teach healthy habits and from what we know of "quick fixes" if those that take them don't change their habits, then they will just gain the weight back. All of it really does sound shady to me.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

About 10 years or so I was prescribed Redux by a doctor, and I did lose weight. Redux was eventually taken off the market because it was causing heart problems. This doctor was a general practioner and not a diet doctor.
Just because a doctor reccomends it does not mean it is safe.

i
Old 11-14-2007, 06:01 PM   #13  

any updates on this diennet diet? It has just "hit" our area...I have spoken with people who have done it off and on for as long as 13 years! Of course, they have glowing opinions. Would love to hear how you are doing on it and what your experiences have been. The results of the 6 women who I know who have been on it 3-6 months are incredible...want to hear from others what the negatives are. Thanks so much.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:12 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 240/193/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Sounds dangerous to me....

Remember fen-fen a few years ago???
Also it won't help you to learn a healthy eating lifestyle. IMHO healthy eating is a whole lot safer than any diet plan or pill. Diets especially the ones with meds involved eventually end and then since you haven't learned to eat healthy you'll return to your old eating habits, the very same habits that made you overweight in the first place. Better to learn to shop the outside isles of the grocery store where the fresh produce, lean meats and whole grains are found. Just my opinion.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:25 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 240.8/235.2/130

Height: 5'4"

I'd also be concern about doctors that you've never met prescribing addictive prescription drugs (Valium, regardless of whether it's a "low" dose, is easily habit-forming), as well as drugs that alter your mind's chemical balance (Librium, often prescribed to regulate manic depression) and your body's metabolism (thyroid medication). Short-term, you might get lucky and lose weight without serious medical issues, but long-term you're risking serious health and mental issues.
Personally, I don't think the reward of being thin outweighs the many risks taken to get there in this "diet plan".
Closed Thread