Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 12:43 PM   #1  

Default Deli meats and good snacks

I see in the Food List that deli meats aren't core foods. So, what to do about lowfat low salt sliced turkey? Do you eat it and count the points or just avoid it?

I could also use some snack suggestions. I did sliced apple w/pb yesterday and used some points for it. I guess I could have skipped the pb but the protein seemed necessary.

Since I am new to Core, I feel like I am floundering around a bit!

Thank you for any suggestions.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:32 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Yes, I'm sorry to say, you have to use points for those things. At first, there were two Boar's Head varieties that were listed as Core, but then when they revised it, those two were taken off. It's the processing that makes it not be Core. I would have liked to see turkey sausage on the list, or nuts (within reason) or natural peanut butter ... but no go.

But the good part is that's what the weekly points allowance is for! So if you want it, go ahead as long as you have the points for it.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:13 PM   #3  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

I occasionally eat deli meat - non fat turkey breast and count it as 'core enough' - maybe once every couple of weeks?

For snacks you might consider cut up veggies and nf/lf dip, fruit salad w/nf cottage cheese (if you need protein), soy cheese, lf popcorn, sf jello. Otherwise as Kathy mentioned anything works as long as you have the points for it!

Froufie
Old 09-26-2006, 09:41 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Well, I'm with Froufy on this one -- didn't want to say so (but since she did, I'll fess up too!). I occasionally eat lean turkey breast from the deli and don't count it. If I make a sandwich, I'll use Nature's Own Light 100% Wheat Bread, deli turkey, FF cheese, lettuce, tomato and FF Miracle Whip. The whole sandwich costs me ONE POINT for the two slices of bread, and it's filling.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:34 AM   #5  
Southside White Sox Fan

My deli carves real turkey breast and pork roasts. I don't do it regularly but if I'm really in a bind, I'll consider it Core enough. It's not a good habit to get into sandwhiches anyway. IMHO, those 35 points go way to darned fast.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:47 PM   #6  

Confused--if it's from the deli counter and fresh, does that count as "Core" poultry and it's OK? And then the wrapped stuff (i.e., Healthy Choice) is too processed so it is not Core?

I went on a huge grocery store trip today--stocked waaay up on the fresh produce and ff dairy. I also got popcorn. I feel more prepared to succeed on this plan now.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:21 PM   #7  
Southside White Sox Fan

Elana, my Leader has said exactly that. If it is exactly what you would have cooked in your own kitchen and you can be sure they didn't add any fat then once in a while you can probably get away with it. Like Kathy said, it isn't Core but it's close enough in a pinch. I'd try to avoid it if I could.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:33 PM   #8  

At today's meeting, I finally clarified exactly which "prepared" poultry/roast beef I can safely buy at the deli. I am burned out on hb eggs--using them a lot in salads, so I was glad to find out a meat option I can use.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:33 PM   #9  
Southside White Sox Fan

Elana, I'd love to hear what the Leaders are saying now. Will you share?
Old 09-28-2006, 01:15 PM   #10  

Height: 5' 10"

My leader has said the same thing -- if it looks like what you would cook at home then its core enough. She does say to stick with low fat and low sodium as much as possible.

I say try it - if you still lose then I'd consider it core-enough. Another though is canned tuna and canned chicken. You can always keep those on hand and make a quick tuna or chicken salad to top off a green salad or put into a one point wrap. I have found a low carb, high fiber wheat wrap that comes out to one point and its a regular size.

Good luck.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:10 PM   #11  

I like the Oat Bran low carb. pita--also just 1 point. I am also trying to do more canned fish (I did herring pieces today) as a lean protein, also for the Omega3 fats.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:29 AM   #12  
yawaii29

S/C/G: 143/143/130

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Gosh, I didn't relize that about deli meat...the last time I went to a meeting it was in October of 2004. I'm going to try to go to a meeting tommorrow to get all of the new updated stuff. The core list I have is from back then too. I'll just keep to the core list I have today and keep track of points until tommorrow
Old 10-11-2006, 07:22 AM   #13  

Default about core ham

Hi new member here. My problem is understanding what ham I can eat on Core. I know I cannot eat luncheon meats, but ham is Core and its just not plain to me what is core ham. Can anyone help...thanks..bj
Old 10-11-2006, 11:50 AM   #14  

Buy a ham and bake it. Not the prepackaged kind like deli meat. I get a low sodium one.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:59 PM   #15  
jadedjane

my leader always told me to go for the low sodium deli meats and anything that says 93% - 97% fat free (most good quality sliced ham or turkey). One portion could be considered core but it's excluded from the core list because people tend to abuse it (use way more than one portion)

Ham (baked at howm without any sugary glaze) is core, but the trick is to trim all visible fat off before cooking it, and of course you'd want to pick a ham that isn't completely marbled with fat.

Elana, in response to your first post:
"Since I am new to Core, I feel like I am floundering around a bit!"

That's okay - I think everyone does at first.
I remember my very first week with WW / Core. My eyes were opened to all the healthy choices that were available for me - and I ate...and ate...and ate.. but stuck to core foods. I lost 4 pounds in my first week and thought "How on earth did I do that?? I've been eating sooooo much!!"

I started with core, I hit goal with core, and I've maintained with core.

start - 310
goal - 150
current - 139

Valentines day '07 will be my one year "thinnaversary"
Closed Thread