Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-25-2006, 07:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/142/130

Height: 5'7"

Default Triceps... ouch!

Hi all! I just started back on the exercise thing, and I think I might have overdone my triceps just a titch.

I did BFL back in 2002 with great results, and that was the general exercise plan I planned to use this time. I worked my upper body Friday, felt generaal soreness Saturday and Sunday, and today, YEEOUCH! My triceps are killing me. They're okay sitting still, maybe a dull ache (the left is MUCH worse... the right is actually pretty okay), but bending my left arm at all is about to do me in. I worked my lower body Saturday and am having no ill results there.

Are there any upper body exercises I can do that will let my poor beleagured triceps take a break? I've been good with exercise, and don't want to get off track especially when I'm just cranking back up.

Might want to crank down the intensity for that particular muscle, I guess.

Thanks for any suggestions y'all can offer.

Amanda
MandyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:16 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

just wanted to throw some commisseration in there with you - yesterday was my exercise day off, but I spent 5 or so hours building a deck to replace an old one. I'll tell you, using a pry-bar to pull off old boards is just about the best tricep exercise I can think of.

If you can't even bend an arm, no more UB for you until you can at least manage the pain. Any use of that arm is likely to make your troubles worse for a bit. Take a break, lower the intensity next time, and focus on your LB and core in the meantime.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/142/130

Height: 5'7"

Mandalinn, I ended up doing what you suggested, i.e., lower body and worked on my abs some. I am seriously ticked at myself for messing up my arms. Grrrrr. Sad thing is, it's seeming more like a joint thing than muscle at this time. I keep forgetting that I last worked out over four years ago, and there's a big difference between just shy of 32 and my current age of cruising down the slope to 37.

Now I'm going to have to do my treadmill tonight since I still can't work my upper body and the rest of me needs a rest from resistance stuff. I hate, hate, HATE aerobic exercise. Bleah. I have it scheduled in 3x a week, and I gripe through every sweaty minute of it. I need to remember that THIS is what happens to me when I overdo resistance training (which I love).

grumblemutter...
MandyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:44 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Mandy, have you done some stretching for your triceps?

Here is my favourite one:

I find it really helps where my tris get sore...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:35 AM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh, Ilene, if I could have him to demonstrate, I'd stretch every time!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote