Old 09-24-2006, 03:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Baking is evil!

Ugh.

I'm poor, and living on my own for the first time. I don't have money to buy groceries right now, and I'm hungry. What I do have, however, are baking supplies. For the past two days in a row, I've pretty much only consumed muffins. Today, I found that a batch of brownies were in order. Luckily, I can't really bake well, so 4/5s of the brownies were thrown away. Still, I ate way too much.

All the refined carbs are making me groggy and grouchy. I feel sick. I want actual food! At the same time, cookies and muffins and brownies are delicious!

How do I stop this cycle? It's been a three-day baking binge.
Kashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #2  

I've got a great idea for you -- bake to your heart's content, and then SELL your baked goods, and buy fruits and veggies with your profits!

Or, more realistically, do you have supplies for relatively healthy baked goods? What kinds of muffins are you making? It's possible to make tasty muffins that won't kill you calorie-wise...
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:21 PM   #3  
I restore Teeth.

oh god, i know what you mean. It's kinda sad that baked goods are so cheap, they seem too tempting. I don't know, its hard if you're used to the convenience, but after 3 days, I generally craved healthier foods. I think you might want to incorporate some veggies and fruits in your menu. I'm poor and live by myself too, so I try my best to save as much money buying groceries and eating only when i need to.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #4  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

hmmm, I don't know where you live, but in my neck of the woods we have local farms that sell produce waaayyy cheaper than grocery stores. Produce that would cost me 20 bucks at walmart costs me 5 bucks at the farm. Do you have any near you, or are you a city gal? Also, many generic brands canned vegetables are pretty cheap-- 40-60 cents a can.
I understand teh money thing; I'ma college student on financial aid. It's hard making it stretch!
hoodj0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 5'6"

I'm currently living in the biggest city in Canada, so there's no way I can get out to a farm. :P I'm kind of stuck buying groceries at any store that's within walking distance of my apartment, as I have no car.

I made apple muffins that probably weren't bad for me, except that I ate 10 of them over the course of a day. And then did it again the next day.

Maybe I'll try to scrounge up enough money for a bag of apples, a few green peppers, and a pack of chicken breasts. It'd be so much easier just to bake a batch of cookies, though.
Kashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:50 PM   #6  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Just a thought, have you tried to see if you would qualify for food from a food shelf? It would be better than eating all those baked goods. Good luck, we have all been there.
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:12 PM   #7  
Walking by faith

Default Hi Kashi...

Have you checked out some of your local churches/charities? A lot of places have food pantries for those who are in need. It might be a good option if money is really tight for you.

I'm allergic to baked goods..they make me break out in FAT!
Stepping Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:44 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/156/143

Height: 177 cm (5ft10in)

Here in japan it is rare to own an oven. Very few people do. Hmm, just move to japan and you won't have this problem anymore
lewelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:19 PM   #9  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Hmmm...

Yes, baking is cheap. However, your can be a frugal food master too.

Protein:

1. Dried Beans or Lentils - pennies a serving you can't beat these. Remember to soak them and cooking them will be no issue. Yes, you have to learn to cook them but trust me, they're easy and full of fiber and iron.

2. Eggs - excellent source of protein and vitamins. You might think a carton of eggs is expensive ($2+) but that at least 4 protein courses with VERY little effort.

3. Bulk Chicken - the Cute Boyfriend and I once commented that being poor sucked because sometimes you had to have money to get cheap food. This is the case here. A bag of frozen chicken breast costs $12+ but that broken into the servings of chicken in the bag breaks out to be very cheap for chicken.

Carbs
1. Fresh veggies in season. These are the ones in the circular ad and on sale at the store. Like, $.59 for a pound of broccoli. Yes, you won't get to choose exactly which veggie you want and you may buy stuff that is unfamiliar but that's an adventure!

2. Brown rice - a staple in my house. Great source of whole grains! Be careful. A lot of times stores will sell this with a fancy package and charge a ton. You can find this in a lot of bulk sections for very cheap.

3. Oats - another great whole grain that you can buy in bulk for cheap. Great fiber content and yummy for breakfast.

Hope that gives you an idea for some other frugal eats.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:35 PM   #10  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewelaine View Post
Here in japan it is rare to own an oven. Very few people do. Hmm, just move to japan and you won't have this problem anymore
I didn't know that! Interesting.....
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:58 PM   #11  
No description available.

Great advice from Goddess Jessica!

Since you brought up beans, I am such a loser. I have tried to make beans a couple of times, soaked them, tried them on the stove and in the crock. How much water do you put in? I think I always put in either too many beans or not enough water!!

Bean help greatly needed! Thanks...
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:34 PM   #12  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Dried beans have two steps:

The presoak. Some people do a fast presoak by cooking them during the presoak. I simply throw them in a container with water before I go to bed and they are soaked when I wake up. You want to cover them with at least two inches of water during the soak (I simply put a ton of water in since extra water won't hurt them). Once they are done soaking, rinse them. Many people claim that rinsing beans removes their "gassy" component. I dunno.

The cooking. I use about 4 cups of water to every cup of beans and NO SALT. This is the biggest mistake. Salt should be added at the end. If you add it at the beginning, your beans won't soften. Make sure there is a tight lid on the pot. Different beans take different lengths of time to cook. I'm a lazy bean cook. I throw them in the crock pot. But you can also make them on the stove top. Black beans take about an hour on a low simmer on the stove.

Hope that helps!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:39 AM   #13  
No description available.

THanks, Jess! I know for sure now that I did not use enough water!

Can't wait to try it.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote