Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 07:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 380/262/180

Talking Rewards (again)

I know there have been lots of threads started about this topic. I'm really not expecting any replies, I'm just stating it so it seems more "real" to me.

Last night I sat down and really thought about things that are important to me in life.... and also things that I've always wanted but either can't afford or was too self concious about my body to do.

Although these rewards are great, I want to emphasize that I really think rewarding yourself along the way of life (weight journeys aside or involved) is important.

Here's what I came up with (approx. 160 lbs to lose):

For ever 10 lbs. lost I plan to buy a charm. And when I reach goal, I will purchase the bracelet (or necklace) to put them all on. Most of the charms will resemble things from my past or present that are very near and dear to my heart. Such as, the letter "M" for Michelle, the letter "K" for my daughter Katelyn, a clarinet, a volleyball (I actually played sports in school!), a dolphin, the sillhouette of a little girl, a hope chest, a flower, a rainbow, a Michigan State University Spartan charm (work's mascot), a Lansing Community College charm, a Petoskey High School charm (already received this at graduation), a saxophone, a sillhouette of a mom and daughter, a charm with my birthstone in it, and a butterfly.

For every 20 lbs. lost I will buy a new top or pair of pants.

Last time I lost 50 lbs I sent myself a dozen roses. I still LOVE the idea of getting roses, so I plan to do that again.

At 100 lbs. lost I'm not sure what my reward will be.

At goal weight (approx 160 lbs. lost) I want to get a professional family portrait done (right now we just use Kmart or Walmart... which are nice, but I would like to have a professional one too).

I have also ALWAYS wanted a dolphin tattoo (location I haven't decided on- probably hip). A realistic looking dolphin jumping out of the water in front of a sunset.

The other thing I have always wanted to buy is a full sized hope chest to go at the foot of my bed.

It's going to take me a very long time to save up enough money for most of these things... I figure if I put $10/week in savings (I downsized my phone service and cut back on other "fluffy" bills, so that's where the money is coming from now) I can afford to do these things for myself.

Anyhow, thanks for letting me post this and make it seem more real. But the first reward I'm going to give myself is a 30 minute areobics tape tonight!!

Be good to yourself!

Michelle

Last edited by spartanMOM; 11-25-2001 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-25-2001, 08:17 PM   #2  

I think your rewards system is a wonderful idea!! At 25 pounds I ordered myself a coat from Land's End that I never would have considered, but I have a lot of playground duty and am always freezing, so that coat is my reward for 25 pounds.

I hadn't much thought about 30 pounds and on up. I sort of thought I might get myself a mini reward at 35 and then something a little more substantial at 40. My idea of a mini reward would be something like a new pair of earrings from Walmart, or a new book. My larger rewards would probably be about the same, or a new shirt or something similar. The 50 pound reward is still in the thinking stage!!

Thanks for jogging my memory to do those little things that keep us going!!!

Elaine

297/269 currently I be stuck!!!
Old 11-25-2001, 11:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Michelle, thanks for posting this. I haven't thought about this in forever.
I'm still working on rewards for my many goals. I had some set aside for every 20 pounds (taco bell) but learned that rewarding myself with food was defeated the purpose. So I'm going to work on those. I think your charm bracelet is a great idea.

As for me I only have goals set so far for the first 100 pounds. I have two. One--a small tattoo on my ankle and two-- a trip to the chiropractor to align my back. I'm almost sure it's at least a bit out of whack and when I get those first 100 gone, I want to treat myself with that.

As for when I reach goal (I'm shooting for 135--but that could change, want to feel healthy). I'm leaning toward an all inclusive cruise or something big like that.

When I figure out my mini-rewards, I'll post them.
Dawnyal
Old 11-26-2001, 06:17 AM   #4  

I thought about this some more and am hoping to break under 200 sometime next year. My 25th wedding anniversary is also next summer. We had thought about taking a trip in early August but as that as when my laborer husband has most of his work, I am thinking about an anniversary ring with a little extra "diamond power" if I break under 200. I don't know if hubby is thinking about it, but I sure am!!!!!

Elaine

297/269 currently (still stuck I think)
Old 12-15-2001, 09:59 PM   #5  

here was my 25 pound loss tattoo
Old 12-20-2001, 02:52 PM   #6  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Wink Hee Hee

Where is it?
Old 12-21-2001, 12:20 AM   #7  

that tattoo is on my back right hand shoulder blade...lol, no that wasn't a pic of my butt!
Old 12-23-2001, 11:38 AM   #8  
hot mom wanna be!

Angry good idea!

I guess I havent thought about rewarding myself as I have been losing. I buy the smaller jeans when I need them but havent thought of rewards!
I think when I get to 40 pounds-(5 pounds away) I will buy some cosmetics! I love playing with makeup anyway. It's fun getting new eyeshadows, etc.. (atleast it is to me!)

50 pounds-jewelry!! Maybe some blue topaz studs to go with my blue topaz ring.

I dont want to think to far ahead or it will be too overwhelming for me!

good luck to all!
lorelei
(313/278/273 new years goal)
Old 12-26-2001, 09:50 AM   #9  

Inca's Momma...Love the tattoo!!

That is my reward, besides the huge shopping spree and vacation...a tattoo. A tribal butterfly kind of thing on my lower back..and I will wear hip huggers!! LOL
Old 12-26-2001, 05:52 PM   #10  

That is a great idea Jenniffer but I just want to say OUCHIE I have three tattoos and the dolphin was by far the absolute worst pain I have had in my life But seriously if you can stand some pain then I hope you get your tattoo. Good luck Jenniffer!
Old 12-26-2001, 07:34 PM   #11  

You guys are way braver then me! I would be way to scared of the pain to get a tatoo, I hate needles! I would like to get my tongue peirced, for getting below 200, but I don't know if I could even do that! I am such a chicken. Right now I don't have any set rewards, I just know that when I get to my goal weight of 150, or my goal size of 10, I will go on a huge shopping spree and then a cruise, wearing cute little dresses and shorts, and maybe even a 2-piece bathing suit! It would be so nice not to have to buy a bathing suit with a skirt!
I know I need to start setting small goals, but like Barbygirl, I would usually end up using food as a reward, which definitely negates all of my hard work! Maybe I'll start getting myself a CD or something like that for every 5 lbs, and then something larger for every 10. Someone had a great idea of saving money for every lb, then at goal having money for a great shopping spree, maybe I'll start trying to do that.

Nicole
Closed Thread