Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 12:25 AM   #1  

Default Jan. 1, '02 Challenge Anyone?

Hi! I'm new here and am trying to look for a home online where I'll feel accepted and that I'll have support in my weight loss which I intend on starting January 1st.

I've had people say to me, why wait until then but guess they don't understand that I have to get ready to do this and have to build myself up psychologically as well as get other things done to help me succeed (set goals, rewards and such).

Just wondering if anyone else would like to join me in a challenge on January 1st? As of tonight, I weigh 231 (just now weighed myself) and want/need to get down to 138 so that is nearly 100 pounds I need to lose total.

I know me, I'll need alot of support and will have to post daily water and exercise challenges as without doing such things and being accountable, I never follow through with them and I am desperate to lose this weight this time.

Hope to meet alot of you who are wanting to lose and who'll join me in this challenge :-)

Love,

Jennelle Leigh
Old 12-21-2001, 03:58 PM   #2  

to Jennelle_Leigh,

I need support, too. I also need to be accountable. I completely understand what you mean about getting your head in the right place to undergo such a major change. Jan. 1 is my start date, too. I'm a lot heavier than you at 330 lbs. But, it is do-able!

Year before last, I lost 52 lbs. THEN, this year I spent gaining 70! I have to record every morsel that goes into my mouth, and every drop of water (lots and lots).

Well, good luck, new friend, and I will try to help you with some of the tricks I've found helpful over the years.

Your new pal,

Velvet

Last edited by velvet; 12-21-2001 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-21-2001, 04:39 PM   #3  

Default Velvet!

Dear Velvet,

Hi! Woo Hoo - you have the attitude, girl; yes we CAN do it (and we're going to do to it!!!) Thank you so much for writing, I feel like I've made an accomplishment of sorts already now that someone has answered and I've started my support system (THANK YOU!!)

I have never, that I can remember - wrote down everything that I eat but if that will work, hey - it's sure worth a shot!!

Are you cutting down or anything now before the holidays? I know I probably should be but I haven't been - I figure that I'm going to eat what I want now 'cuz January 1st will be here soon enough when I can't have it.

I know many say that they allow themselves to have a splurge here and there of things but that doesn't work for me 'cuz once I get off-track, that's it -- I'm usually done, ya know?

Thanks again so much for writing 'n keep in touch. Maybe we can find some other friends who'll join our thread and we can all lose together :-)

Love,

Jennelle
Old 12-21-2001, 08:13 PM   #4  

Angry

Dear Jennelle,

Thank YOU for answering ME so soon. This is kinda exciting. I'm new to this community stuff!

So, if I commit some faux pas, bear with me, please.

I lost the 52 lbs while I was a member of a local group known as R-Weigh. They supported you no matter what kind of program you were on - so long as it was HEALTHY. Nice people, too. One of their enticements was that if you kept a food diary, your paper was put into a pile and, if it was drawn, you won $1. They had all kinds of ways to earn bucks-contests, lbs lost, biggest loser, etc. It's a good club. I'm going back in January. (Needless to say, I did not attend this past year!) When I get some good tips, I'll pass them on to you.

One very good tip I can pass on is that they guided us through a program that was published in Prevention Magazine entitled "A 12-step Program for Weight-Loss" or something like that! It takes you through small changes to ease you into a new life-style. It would be worth trying to find. It really got my girlfriend and I off on the right foot.

I'll close for now, but I'll keep checking back.

Good luck.

Love,

Velvet
Old 12-21-2001, 09:35 PM   #5  

Default Hi again!

Dear Velvet,

Yes - I am new on here too so guess we'll haveta learn together *Smile* I'll look forward to any tips that you have to pass along later. And - small changes are a good way to ease into it. That is why I won't attempt to drink a full 8 glasses of water or exercise and over-do it when I start. I know me 'n I have to start small and be consistent and have to be accountable to someone besides myself or I get nowhere. Not sure why I'm like this, but I am.

I am on no special diet or anything - can't afford to attend any of the programs like weight watchers but think they'd be cool to go to. This will most likely be my #1 support for dieting so I'm really glad that you're here :-)

Love,

Jennelle
Old 12-22-2001, 04:20 PM   #6  

Smile let's start slow

Dear Jennelle,

I'm like you when it comes to starting slow. I'm also giving it one last go before the first of the year. Remember: BABY STEPS!

I'm gonna try to keep a diet journal this time. You know, with updates on my losses or gains and measurements and the changes I've made in eating and exercise and feelings, etc. I've never been one to follow through on these kinds of things, but, maybe this time-who knows?

I need to make this into a real project. Actually, dieting is a full time job! I'm disabled(ruptured disc) so I don't work and that in itself can be a stumbling block-too much time to get bored and EAT, EAT, EAT! Not that I did much better when I was working full time.

Maybe sometime we could hook up on a time to do a live chat.

About the special diet thing, I've found that the best thing for me is to cut down on everything (except for water) BUT allow myself to have everything I want (in reasonable portions). Otherwise, I'm just setting myself up for a fall-a MAJOR fall!

I see you're from PA. I'm from Salem, OH. That's close to the PA border, so I've been in a lot of PA.

Talk to you soon.

Love,

Velvet
Old 12-22-2001, 07:26 PM   #7  

Default Hi Neighbor!

Dear Velvet,

Hi! I don't live too far from the Ohio border 'n in fact, DH and I got married last year in Conneaut, Ohio!

Good - we're both on the same wave length when it comes to starting slow :-) I'd rather start slow and be consistent than to try and down all the water at once 'cuz if I tried that, there'd be no way, I know me too well.

I never do the measurment thing but do think that I may also keep a diary for this. Did you know that they have free ones online? If you'd like, you can check out: http://www.opendiary.com

Not sure how to do HTML here to make it clickable (sorry!)

Alot of my weight come from being very active and then I met DH and we never do much of anything - stay home all the time and I was used to doing this 'n that and now I barely do anything (blah!) And yes - I know that I eat from plain boredom at times.

Other times though, I eat 'cuz I got to where I just plain didn't care. I saw the scales going up and no clothes that fit me 'n got to the point that hey - why bother, ya know?! But - I AM gonna bother 'n on Jan. 1st, watch out! *LOL*

I'm about 30 miles east of Meadville if you've heard of that or been there? I'm in Titusville (have ya ever heard of it?)

Well - keep in touch 'n one of these days, I'd love to chat with you (have never done it on here but guess I could figure it out *Grin*) Do you have AOL's Instant Messenger? I do and my name on there is Jennelle_Leigh or if you look it up by my email address, it would be under [email protected]

Talk to ya soon!

Love,

Jennelle
Old 12-22-2001, 08:35 PM   #8  

Default I know where you are!

Dear Jennelle,

I know exactly where Titusville is. My mom and dad used to stay with friends in the Alleghenys near there in East Hickory. She and I go to the Blair outlet in Warren, PA a few times each year and every once in a while we cruise through Titusville. Small world, eh?

We went to look at Christmas lights tonight. I've had a bad depression going for most of the holiday season, so jollies have been few and far between lately. Depression is one of my problems and eating makes me happy sometimes (short-lived though it may be).

I'm realcookie48 on aol's IM. We'll hook up soon, I'm sure. My e-mail address is [email protected].

Hey! Good news! I clicked on the diary address you gave me and apparently this place formats that stuff for you. Thanks

Love,

Velvet

See ya soon
Old 12-22-2001, 09:20 PM   #9  

Default Wow - it is a small world!

Wow - it is a small world, isn't it? :-) How cool that you know where T-ville is (alot of people have never heard of it *LOL*) I checked after you said that the link is clickable and it was for me too (alright!!) Much easier than having to deal with knowing HTML stuff *Grin*

I know what you mean about depression - I've been diagnosed as having manic depression 'n at times, it really sucks!

Did you start an Open Diary? I have one on Open Diary Plus which is the version that you have to pay for - I have odds and ends of stuff on it and am not sure if I should have my diet journal on there or if I should use my free one on Open Diary.

Love,

Jennelle
Old 12-23-2001, 11:31 AM   #10  
hot mom wanna be!

Hi!
Do you guys mind if I join in with you two on this 2002 challenge?
I need all the support I can get too! I have lost weight 40-50 pounds) several times (always quickly) and then gained it back even quicker it seemed. On January,1 2001 weighed 313 and now I weigh 278. (35 pounds!!) I lost 30 of it over 4 or 5 months and then didnt lose or gain any more. I have just maintained it until this month where I have been "trying" to lose weight again. I have a goal of 40 pounds (273) by New Years Day. Even if I dont get there I will be happy because for the first time I have lost weight and not gained it back right away! I cant believe it b/c this has been a bad year. My husband I have seperated, sold our house, my son has finally been diagnosed with ADHD (he's 6), so it's a miracle I didnt gain it all back plus more!!
anyway, I'd really like to join with you both if it's ok??

lorelei
(313/278/273 new years goal)
Old 12-23-2001, 03:22 PM   #11  

Default lorelei

Dear Lorelei,

Oh my goodness - no, we don't mind at all and in fact, we would welcome you to join us!! So far there are 3 of us now, you, Velvet and myself. 'N we're ready for 2002 to get here so we can get busy :-)

Glad to have you here!!

Love,

Jennelle
Old 12-24-2001, 12:27 AM   #12  

WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME

Dear Lorelei,

You are SOOOOO welcomed to join us. We want more, more, more!!! We're like you and will need as much support as we can get!!

Please tell me what ADHD is. I have an idea but am not sure. I'll pray for the two of you. Hope that's OK.

Sounds like we'll be working on our depressions, too. That's a HUGE deterrent to our new PERMENANT weight losses!!! But that's why we're here, huh??

I think you are my new hero for having gone through all that this year and maintaining. You read my story, I'm sure. UGLY!!! But that's gonna change after the first of the year. I'm so ready.

Jennelle,

I did sign up for the Open Diary. But, for now, I'm gonna keep it private. I'm not sure I'm ready to let the world inside my head --I'm protecting the world!!

Talk to you guys soon. AND-----

* * * * * * MERRY CHRISTMAS * * * * * *

These angels are US!!!!

Love,

Velvet
Old 12-24-2001, 12:35 AM   #13  

Default Velvet & Lorelei

Hi Guys!

Merry Christmas to you both if I don't see you on here before then :-)

And Lorelei, I know what ADD is - I also have it or atleast am 99.9% sure I do but am not diagnosed but have been diagnosed as being manic depressive and it has alot of the same symptons as ADD. By the way - I totally forgot in my earlier post to congratulate you on your weight loss so far (I'm sorry!) To be honest, I missed that part until Velvet said something and I went back and re-read your original post. As you know - that is a total characteristic in having ADD (not paying full attention *LOL*)

Anyways - am looking forward to the new year and to our success.

Love to you both,

Jennelle
Old 12-24-2001, 06:34 PM   #14  
hot mom wanna be!

Talking hey guys!

thanks for the big welcome, I appreciate it!

Velvet-ADHD is also known as ADD-attention deficit disorder. It usually is diagnosed in childhood by kids who cant pay attention to one thing at a time, they are paying attention to everything at once!! My son Logan has ADHD the H being hyperactivity. His doctor says it's like he is a motor that is always on!! he is very smart and tested high on his IQ test his school gave him, it's just he cant pay attention well w/o meds. Thanks for the prayers, of course I dont mind! It is hard this time of year being seperated-you think a lot about the past holidays, etc...

Jennelle-I joke too that I have ADD! I swear I do sometimes!

to you both--Thanks for the conratulations! Even though I have lost 35 pounds I had so much to lose, not many people have noticed-but I have! I used to wear size 26 jeans and now I can wear size 24. That alone is a good feeling! I have this thing in my head that I want to be a normal size when our divorce will be filed in August (we have to wait a year after seperation to divorce in VA) since we have a child-if you dont its only 6 months. I swear I am not going to be somebodys "fat ex-wife"!! lol

We emailed Santa today, Logan was afraid Santa wouldnt know what to bring him!!

Anyway-sorry for writing a book!

Merry Christmas to you both if you celebrate it (you never know!)

lorelei
Old 12-24-2001, 09:59 PM   #15  

Default Hi again!

Well, of course with a 35 pound weight loss you'd notice it 'n ya know what? I bet alot of others notice it too! :-) I would be so happy to lose that much but haven't yet (just have gained in the past 2 years *blah*) ... but that is all soon to be put to an end 'n we will ALL lose (Yea!!! Go us!!) :-)

As for the ADD, not sure if you thought I was kidding or not (but don't want you to feel bad if you did think I was *LOL*) but honestly, I'm nearly positive that I am ADD. I've taken countless online tests and they are all way leaning towards the fact that I really do have it. Either way - I've just recently started to try to get a grip on how to start changing things to make them easier for me to keep up with and to be able to stay with things and get what i need to, done. Little steps but I am making progress *Smile*

Yep, I celebrate Christmas though this year it'll just be DH and I at home as my kids are grown and on their own and my daughter and family are staying home (son in law has to work most of the day) and my son and his fiance will be going to her grandparents for the day.

I hope you and your son have a wonderful Christmas 'n that his email to Santa will help so Santa'll know just what to bring him (that's so cute!)

And trust me - I know what you mean about wanting to be a normal size when you file for divorce and not wanting to be the fat ex-wife (I've been divorced twice so yes - I do know what you mean *LOL*)

Merry Christmas!!!

Love,

Jennelle
Closed Thread