South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 06:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/169/145

Height: 5'6

Default SBD and Kidney Stones...

Has anyone had any problems with kidney stones since starting the SBD? I'm just curious because I think my husband has one...and I'm not sure if it's related to the diet...But I did read somewhere where changes to your diet can cause them...just wondering...

PP
Old 09-04-2006, 07:48 PM   #2  
Life's A Beach!

S/C/G: 270/264.5/170

Height: 5'5"

I just found this at Mayo Clinic.com. There are several types of kidney stones, and the one below may be related to high-protein diet.

Quote:
Uric acid stones. These stones are formed of uric acid, a byproduct of protein metabolism. You're more likely to develop uric acid stones if you've undergone chemotherapy, you eat a high-protein diet or you have certain genetic factors that predispose you to the condition.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:12 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Could be but please have him check with your physician. When did he start the diet? It could be a pre-existing condition that is exacerbated by extra protein.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:54 AM   #4  

He needs to see his physician if he feels uncomfortable. They are horrible for women but I am told men suffer more than women do. I would definitely have him see the dr asap.

Faye
Old 09-05-2006, 01:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/169/145

Height: 5'6

Thanks you guys...yeah..we already had him setup to see the Dr....but it was Labor Day Weekend and couldn't get in until today.....but she says that she doesn't think it's a kidney stone...so we're trying pain relievers and stuff...we'll see how this works...his urinalysis was normal...So if the anti-inflammatories don't work...then we'll have to go another route...I'm still doing well on the diet...I've lost 9 lbs so far...and I'm on Week 2 of Phase I...thanks for the concern you guys! I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem since starting the diet...I'm not even sure if it's related to that...
Old 09-07-2006, 02:20 PM   #6  

Just curious - where is the pain?

I've developed a pain on my left side, slightly above the bottom of my rib cage that feels like a running pain. I can feel some gurgling in there sometimes and then the pain subsides for a few seconds. It's not a horrible pain, just uncomfortable.

Anyone ever hear of this? I'm planning on going to the dr. next week if it doesn't go away over the weekend.
Closed Thread