Old 08-25-2006, 06:26 AM   #1  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 191.4

Height: 5'5

Question Eating-for-life

Has anyone tried Bill Phillips' eating-for-life plan?

Any opinions on it?
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Is that the companion plan to Body For Life? I love their food lists!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:04 AM   #3  

Talking

Yip, that's the one!
Old 08-28-2006, 09:07 AM   #4  

2frustrated is doing Body for Life. Maybe you can find some posts on how she's doing. There's more folks ... I wonder if they have a thread?
Old 08-29-2006, 03:11 AM   #5  

Talking

Are they also following the EFL plan?

I wouldn't be interested in the body-for-life programme, but the EFL most certainly seems to be recommended by most people who followed it.

Will do a search and see what I can come up with.....
Old 08-29-2006, 05:43 AM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I'm BfL-ing!

Some stuff on the EfL plan (if that's the same as the food lists on the BfL website) looks... ******ed! Like rice cakes as carb portions?? Ex-squeeze me?

But apart from that I have little qualms with it! Does EfL say that you have to eat 6 times a day? Does that still go? It's a great theory, plus you GET TO EAT 6 TIMES A DAY! What could be better?

IMHO I think if you are already following a full and varied exercise plan, then eating according to EfL is great and you'll get good results. But if you want to be ripped and lean, then you really should give the exercises in BfL a go
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:51 AM   #7  

Exclamation

I was thinking about the BFL, but I have to aks myself if I will be able to maintain such a strict exercise schedule for the rest of my life and I have to answer no.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:01 AM   #8  
Meg

I may be wrong, but I thought that Eating For Life was the companion cookbook to Body For Life, rather than a stand-alone diet. I was under the impression that it's designed to work with the exercise part of BFL? If so, it's probably too much food and too many carbs for someone who isn't doing the exercise part of BFL.

There sure are some great recipes in there though!

BTW, you might want to take another look at the exercise component of BFL. It's actually a plan that will get you in and out of the gym fast: about 45 minutes on the three lifting days and 20 minutes on the three cardio days. Considering that the lastest government recommendations for weight loss and maintenance are 60 - 90 minutes of exercise on most days, you're ahead of the game. A lot of people have discovered that BFL is a great plan for easing into an exercise program.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:41 AM   #9  

Talking

Hmm, maybe I should reconsider...

What exactly does body-for-life involve? Would I have to join a gym? I don't want to be all big and bulky, just want to lose the fat and healthy. I prefer exercising at home.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:49 AM   #10  
Meg

Body For Life is an integrated nutrition and exercise plan. There's tons of info about it in the Ladies Who Lift forum and lots of members like Frus who have done or are doing the plan and who'd be glad to help you out. I recall that there's some BFL discussion in this week's thread.

In a nutshell, the eating part focuses on six small meals per day, with a protein and carb serving at each meal. There isn't any weighing, measuring, or calorie counting (you use your palm and fist as a guide). The exercise component is three days of 20 minutes of HIIT cardio (High Intensity Interval Training) and three days of weight training, alternating upper body and lower body workouts. There's one Free Day per week when you don't work out and you can eat what you want.

It's entirely possible to do the plan without belonging to a gym if you have some basic equipment - like dumbbells - at home. You might want to borrow the book from your library to see if it would be a good fit for you.

Hope that helps!

PS - don't worry, lifting weights won't make you big and bulky - we women don't have the hormones for that. The more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism will be and the tighter and smaller you'll look.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:08 AM   #11  

Talking

I think I need to get the book and see for myself.... BUt in the mean time, I will do a search to see what I can find.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:01 AM   #12  

Over the years I've stolen several portions of several plans to integrate into my plan. I started looking at Body for Life before they started trying to sell me quite so much stuff.
When you cut to the chase, they're all about integrating clean, lean food, weight lifting and cardio. And I'd read that many times.
If you're like me, I hate to be told what to do but I don't mind making plans for myself. I just stole what I wanted from BFL and left the strictness at the website.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:17 AM   #13  

Question

Susan, if you don't mind, tell me more or less what you are doing?
Old 08-30-2006, 10:37 AM   #14  

Well, to be honest, right now we're moving (Friday's the day) and I'm doing terrible .... however ....
I have what I call my A,B,C and D
A is for eating less (I count calories at fitday.com)
B is for eating cleaner
C is for cardio
D is for weight lifting.

Anything specific about those? I'll be happy to expound for ya.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:02 AM   #15  

Question

Please do... more or less how much cardio do you do per week? Also, what type of weight training do you do?