Old 08-28-2006, 11:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Default A "little" funny...

Alrighty then, (This is a little dramatized to make it more interesting but I think we can all relate to this...)

I was looking through a Weight Watchers magazine for some inspiring recipes and as I turned the page, I swear a glowing light circled the item I'm about to tell you about. I could hear music, could this be true? An answer to my weight-loss prayers? A sweet but on calorie snack to satisfy my cravings for cake?

Read on--

Yes my friends, it was a Weight Watchers Carrot Cake, or Chocolate, or Lemon. You choose. Wow--

I do real well with my diet but sometimes, I have a terrible craving for sweetness, especially after a meal or early in the morning. It's an old habit I guess. I can hang with a few pieces of choc. to curb me or even a low fat sugar free pudding. But sometimes, I just want CAKE! I'm determined not to fail, so this little advertisement of joy was just the ticket I was looking for. Only 1 Point! (or 80 cals. in my calorie counting world). I quickly put these little pieces of heaven on my shopping list.

I went to the store, and filled my cart with healthy wholesome goodies and when I got to the isle with these special delights a put 2 boxes in my cart. The next morning, I had planned to have a cup of coffee and one of my new treats. I was excited. I compaired the feeling to being in a cool and trendy coffee shop, enjoying my coffee and having cake too! I eagerly went into the box, it seemed like it took forever to open, I looked inside, pulled out my cake and kind of looked at it..

It was about 2 inches long and maybe 1 inch wide... My first reaction was damn, this is more like a tiny crumb of cake. But then, I laughed and thought, portion control Gretchen. It was very good! I started to think about how excited I was about this cake, I had glorified it in my mind, in the magazine it looked so big! I felt so silly about this.. I don't normally get so excited about food but for some reason, the thought of "good cake" really got my heart pumping!

I quickly realized what a dork I am and it really made me laugh out loud. I even called my mother in law to tell her about it. It just seemed so funny to me. At least I occupied my time with telling the story instead of eating more than one cake! Maybe that's the goal of these itty bitty cakes... they make you laugh and it's SO funny that you have to tell someone meanwhile, you forget about eating another one!

I just thought that was so funny and wanted to share.
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I have bought these SAME cakes and i too was a little stumped by their size. but really, with the choc only being one point, you could even indulge and have too with no real guilt. They are good just barely heated in the microwave too. I like one hot piece of the choc cake with one small scoop of ff/splenda ice cream...yumola. Feels so indulgent. For only about 2 points.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:19 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Realizing portions is somewhat a painful but enlightening process. When I realized the portions for nuts, I about fainted.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #4  

It's just funny because I never realized how big my portions pre-weightloss really were. I honestly can say, the look on my face when I got that cake out of the box was classic.

It still cracks me up 2 days later!
Old 08-28-2006, 02:15 PM   #5  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

OMG, Gretchen...hilarious..I can picture your face right now!

I know the feeling....and what amazes me is that when we've been on plan for a really long time..and then go off, we tend to miraculously immediately forget what a proper portion of something is, or worse yet..like I was doing..knowing exactly how many portions I had and how many cals it contained and shoveling it down anyway....ugh.

Thanks for the laugh

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #6  

I expected the portion to be small but my gosh, have you seen these things? No wonder they're only 80 calories--- its like a sliver you know? I'm getting adjusted though! I know its helping me get to the bigger goal!
Old 08-28-2006, 02:21 PM   #7  
Laurelei

S/C/G: 168/168/145

Height: 5' 6"

I saw all the ads for those too and I was really excited about them as well. I was thinking about buying them but now I don't think I will. At least they will subside your cravings for cake. I would rather have an apple or seomthing as dessert.. more filling.
I figured they were tiny or tasted bad.
laurelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:23 AM   #8  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

It's like when the Entenman's fat-free cakes came out, years ago, at the beginning of the fat-free craze. They were the first ones I can recall who provided fat-free cake that didn't taste like cardboard.

But one "loaf" of cake was supposed to be something like 15 servings, whereas I'd usually eat about a quarter of it at once. It was before we (the diet community) realized how closely we have to pay attention to labeling.

I hate the thought of individually-wrapped cakes and things. The environmentalist in me cringes at all that extra packaging going into our landfills. But for some things, it's a mental boon that helps me "treat" myself and still stay in control. So I'll buy them... once in a while.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:36 PM   #9  

I am with you on these cakes I too bought two boxes of them on sale. Gotta love a sale. So excited to have one. My scenerio very much like yours. When I opened and saw the size I wasn't laughing I was crying. They are tasty little morsels. I realize how important labeling is. I got excited because Nips has a sugar free coffee nip so yum bought that and when I got home looked at nutrion label and saw has the exact calories as the ones with sugar and you get half as many for same price. They see us weight watchers coming. So that frustrated me.
luflic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 260/234/195

Height: 5'6"

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one out there who struggles with portion size. I could go through a box of those cakes in a sitting, which is why I don't buy them at all.
Laura Philly is offline   Reply With Quote