Old 08-22-2006, 11:29 AM   #1  

Default CALFfeine Withdrawl

Seems Appropo for all our Mamacows no?
Schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:48 AM   #2  
Member w/ messiest house

Well, while I never intend to quit my love affair with caffeine, I will need lots of it to get through the CALFeine withdrawal...

Little darling has apparently made a lot of progress on her packing -- her room went from a disaster area 2 days ago to all picked up
and nearly empty today.

Later
Kiwi
Kiwonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:55 AM   #3  
loves kleenex box art

The calves are so smarty pants about becoming ... hmmmm ... independent. DS does not miss me. Returned my phone calls late last night and only then to ask if I'd mailed something and WHEN was I picking him for Labor Day??? Like he can't get a ride.

Shots you are so clever. You could get a job at a newspaper thinking of headlines and cutlines.

Later
Peaches
Cowpernia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:04 PM   #4  
Dysfunctional Queen

hey, y'all. too depressing reading about all these empty nests. i still have one at home, but only for another 9 months. can't stand thinking about it. talk to at least one of my dd's every day.....younger dd seems happy to talk forever....somehow that makes me miss her more.

got a great job offer at a new store opening up here and turned it down!!!! made me think about my present job and realize that i really like it....and i like the flexibility of being able to take off whenever....a management position would pay a lot more but tie me down. also new store is lingerie, loungewear etc (Soma, Chico's newest baby), and I don't think i'd like fitting bras all day, nor would i get the same satisfaction from selling underwear that i do putting together a great outfit for someone.

all of you are being so brave about the calfs.

peachy, will there be enough sub work to warrent quitting day job? total drag if day job prevents doing what you really want.

painty, better living thru pharmacuticals....that's my motto!!!!

schatz...what's happening with property seeking? i'm at work today from 3 on....come visit me.

have to go help dh with taxes stuff....thank god for extensions.

love to all
Berrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:47 PM   #5  
Member w/ messiest house

I seem to have missed saying hi to you Painty. Hi! I wish you luck on therapy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PainterWoman View Post
Food has been my most steadfast ally.
What else is there?
I am reminded of something my mom went through quite a long time ago, and I think could be true of anyone: she went on a very successful diet program, lost enough weight to make a significant difference in her appearance and the way she felt physically -- only to find herself overwhelmed by depression. I'm sure it's not at all unusual for overeating to mask depression, but it was so clear and obvious, that it made her deal with it finally.

What else is there? That's the challenge, isn't it?

I've decided that my weight problem is a response to my own fear of rejection - i.e. just in case you reject me, it will be because I'm overweight, not for any better reason. Protective armor, eh?

Sorry, got on topic there for a second. Phew. Won't let that happen again...

Hi Frappe -- I remember last year this time, thinking of only one more year of DD being at home. That freaked me out almost as much as this one more day. Of course with one more day there's only so much you can do, lots less pressure than one more month, or one more year.

DD's bf came over this afternoon after accompanying his little bro to the Big City for his 2nd (and hopefully final) surgery on his hand. Little bro is doing fine. Anyway, bf stopped by and never left. Helped DD with some chores, went shopping with her for groceries, came back and stayed for dinner, went for a walk with her and the 2 of them stood on the dock as the sun set, went out for ice cream with us, came back and hung out some more, went for a ride together, and finally managed to part company for the evening. Lord, I felt like I should get out the violin... I'm torn between finding it amusing and finding it unbearably sweet.

And oh yes, that was an excellent meal by the way. DH has been doing a good deal of grilling lately -- tonight he grilled salmon with my special sauce. yummmm.

Must go up and commune with the packing.

Kiwi
Old 08-23-2006, 11:11 AM   #6  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

i need the special sauce for your salmon!!!---okay----this is one depressing week isn't it girls---today i am faced with this---Published Text
08/23/2006 BYRNE, GEORGE - In loving memory of George Byrne who passed away August 23, 2002. George was a wonderful husband, father and son. He was a great brother and uncle - a true friend to us all. We miss him so much. FROM WIFE MARGO, DAUGHTER SARAH, SONS PATRICK AND EDDIE, FAMILY AND FRIENDS---

[The Telegraph-Journal]-----it is hard to believe that it's four years ago today but i just read last week that ANOTHER forty-something man [tourist] who has three kids drowned in a riptide on Prince Edward Island -----stupid government won't put up warning signs cause it might damage tourism----the locals were on the news saying they were tired of visitors drowning and THEY were going to post their own signs---- SORRY TO DEPRESS,BUT IT SEEMS LIKE THE WEEK FOR IT!!!!--------------------------------kiwonk=----we are all thinking of youse guys this week---and peachers seems to be hanging in there so good luck kiddo and what a marvellous adventure for your baby!!!! { you can help me when i start freaking out about the overseas term coming up---stepdd leaves for Scotland in a few days!!!!}
Bagzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:21 PM   #7  

Bagz, I was just thinking it was this time of year when you lost your BIL. How is your sis coping? So very sad.

We are a depressing lot lately. Depressing or depressed. One and the same I suppose. I want you cows who's babies are flying the pasture to start thinking of this being a good time for you - time to focus only on what you want. Time to be deliciously selfish and self indulgent.

Painty, please write with any insights as to what the pyschological fix is for this eating until I pop. I understand that we will change only when the alternative is either so intolerable or the change is so inticing that we take action.

I took yesterday off to babysit my lil darlin'. She's sooo smoochable. She also totally wears me out. I went home at 1 pm and napped until 4 pm, then went to bed at my usual time and slept like a log.

Frappe, I want you to come and put together outfits for me. I'm a fashion dunce. I'm also always waiting to buy the really nice clothes for when I'm thin and lovely. So instead I'm fat and poorly dressed. I love to watch What Not to Wear. I should elect myself for it. I still haven't bought new cowgirl duds for the big rodeo next month. I've got to stop putting it off, b/c I don't seriously think I'm going to drop 20 pounds in the next 3 weeks and fit into my old clothes. At least my old boots fit. I think.

Schatzi, any new properties in consideration? DH is still trying to work on me about the place we saw the other day. He doesn't look at the house - he only has eyes for the huge shop and the land. I hope we don't strangle each other over this house shopping. If only he'd see things my way, then everything would be fine.

Have we heard from Sugar?
Wabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:59 PM   #8  
Member w/ messiest house

It's hard for me to believe it was 4 years ago too. Are they doing alright these days? I'm glad the locals are up in arms about the drownings. You would think that the gov't would have a few qualms about letting people drown as a cost of the tourism industry...

Your stepdd is leaving in a few days???? Yikes, where the heck does the time go? It sounds like such a great experience for her (yeah, keep trying to think of that)!

I did a search through my posts to see if I had posted my salmon recipe somewhere, and was surprised that I hadn't. I didn't think there was much that I don't blab about, but anyway here it is. It's from the Frugal Gourmet and it's definitely my favorite. You mix together the sauce and brush it on all sides if it is steaks or skinless fillets, or just on top with fillets with skin on. Can be broiled or grilled, a few minutes on each side (or 10 minutes or so for skin-on); be sure to oil the pan or grill (or brush some sauce on the pan first, it's plenty oil enough). Brush sauce on again when you turn them.
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1/8 teaspoon dill
dash of ground clove
1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice
This is enough for 2 steaks, I doubled it last night for 3 big fillets and it was more than enough.

I will go check that and make sure I got it right. Right now I'm starving and I think there's a little leftover grilled salmon if DD hasn't scarfed it down already...

Kiwi
Old 08-23-2006, 03:58 PM   #9  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

Thanks Kiwonkers!!! i will be trying that out SOON!!!!---i looooooove salmon!!---thanks for asking about my sis girls-----she is doing okay but even when things are "okay" i guess i just keep remembering how great a dad George was and it's like that missing piece that can never be replaced ----for those kids especially----reminds me of all the families of the 9-11 attack---there were SO many young fathers and mothers lost--so many children affected.; ANYway----enough depression for NOW_--i think Painty should be able to help us looose some weight---Painty--you are in charge of passing on your knowledge!!!! i think i overeat cause i am down in the dumps and overwhelmed by all the things i should be doing [and NOT doing!!!! like cleaning up this dump,doing laundry,paperwork for the shop--CLEANing the damn shop!!!}-----eating is a balm!!!!-----------------okay kiwonk-----tomorrow all the positive vibes are headed your way---enjoy this evening with your lovely girl~!!!xoxoox
Bagzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:49 PM   #10  

I'm upset that Pluto has been downsized. If you can't count on the planets remaining the same, what can you count on???

I bought 2 pair of pants yesterday in a size that I have never worn in my life. I could have shoehorned myself into the size smaller, but what would that have accomplished, really? WW's is looming. I'm so upset with myself that I'm having a hard time getting motivated to do something, but do something I must. Doing otherwise is not an option. Hey, I have an idea --- howz about we all actually get serious about loosing some weight????
Old 08-24-2006, 04:10 PM   #11  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagzz View Post
i guess i just keep remembering how great a dad George was and it's like that missing piece that can never be replaced ----for those kids especially--
I know what you mean. In our extended family, we lost 4 fathers in the space of about 10 years or less; mine, and incredibly 3 of my brothers-in-law. It's one of the things that I think made DD different from most kids -- she had been to many funerals before most kids had ever known anyone who died. But of course the effect on her was nothing compared to the kids who lost their fathers so young -- in the case of my BILs, 5 kids all told. The kids are all doing quite well, but I don't doubt that there are scars that they'll take with them.

Well, not to get all serious and everything. I really just popped in here to say that DD left this morning at 7:15. We took her over to BF's house at 6:30 so they could all say goodbye and feed us doughnuts and coffee. It was good. DD was all teary, but she had her big strong shoulder to cry on all the way to Boston so I'm sure she'll be fine. I managed to keep it together until I got home, then I just felt sick for hours. Haven't heard from her yet, she should be checked in right about now and BF will have left to go visit his twin. So maybe I'll hear from one of them soon.

I hesitate to even relate this -- you'll think my life is caving in -- it's really not, it's just weird as usual: DH announced when we got home this morning that he was going to spend a couple of days on the sailboat. But I actually think he needs some time to himself, he was so grim all morning (probably a reflection of my face too). And he did at least ask if I was going to be all right. I'll deal.

Anyway, today so far I have stripped the bedding off DD's bed, took her down stuff to the cleaners, walked the dog and washed the car. You've heard of nesting? Apparently I got it backwards, I'm unnesting.

Later, kids

Kiwi
Old 08-24-2006, 04:12 PM   #12  
Member w/ messiest house

Default Wabbit, I keep missing your posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabby View Post
Hey, I have an idea --- howz about we all actually get serious about loosing some weight????
Well, I'd rather discuss planets, but sure, let's loooose some of this here flab. You first.

Kiwi
Old 08-24-2006, 05:15 PM   #13  

Grim and Grimmer...

Wabby, I'm in ! I'm in a 2 pound challenge, and it is motivating me.. so I'll be yer Blubber Buddy. I'm doing a hybrid of SouthBeach/WW/Calorie Counting ...

Kiwi, you must feel meloncholy today..I hug you too

Bagz... sorry to hear about your BIL.. The acuteness of the pain lessens but the sorrow never leaves..

ohhhh alright I youse all!

I went on a job interview 3 hours away yesterday.. I told these Headhunters when they set me up fer this thing that I am not in a position to relocate...soooo, what do you think? After they pick my brain fer 2 hours, it is located there...3 hours away--one way.. When I was done my brain and hair hurt. And my big butt was sore from sitting on it driving 6 hours and 2 hours there..

We are renewing the rental fer at least 10 months or the year.. The land search has stalled fer now...

I'm making Gawampki's ( stuffed cabbage) and mashed potatos for DH... I will have a steak salad... and a blueberry smoothie fer dessert...
Schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:22 PM   #14  
Member w/ messiest house

Thanks for the hugs, Schatzi. Should I hope you don't get that job? 3 hours is insane, even just for an interview. Unless of course they might have anything closer.

I need to pass this along:
Quote:
I only knew it was you by your aviator pic.
Not a quote from anyone I know; I happened across it in another forum. I added that one to my collection of "Luluisms", named after a former co-worker who could really come up with some humdingers. Here's one of my favorites from my file:
(2 people surprised to see each other in a local store) -- "This must be a good place to conjugate!"
Swear to God. Heard it with my own 2 eyes, as Lulu would say.

Here's what I'm having for dindin.

Kiwi
Old 08-24-2006, 07:28 PM   #15  

Awwww, Kiwi, here's one from me too. I bet DH is dealing the best he knows how, too. I think when our kids moved out it was harder on DH than it was on me. Of course, I can't even compare b/c our kidlets are both less than 20 minutes away.... but the house was still pretty quiet.

You heifers sound serious about loosing. I didn't know you'd take me up on it. We're going for a 5 day road trip, and the day we get back you're on - I'm signing back up at WW's on Wednesday, August 30th. Sooooo see yas when I get home..... and in case the boogie man is lurking, Gpa J and the doggies will still be home.

Kiwi, I call those a Ray El's. DH is famous for murdering the language and Ray El's is his code name. I'll tell you why some day.

See ya dizzy babes when I get back!!!! toodles!