Old 08-23-2006, 04:57 AM   #1  

Default Well its been a year...

It's just been my dietaversary. I've been on a diet/eating healthier for one whole year. In that year I've lost 47 pounds and 31 inches. I've been calorie counting and going to the gym 3x a week. I thought I'd had a review and see what I've learnt. I also thought I'd post it here in case you lovely people are interested.

1) You can't be perfect. I'm here at the end of this year a bit annoyed I'm not at 52 pounds...which would be a pound a week. But if I hadn't gone on this diet I'd be up by at least 10 pounds which would have been an awful lot worse!

2) There is no such thing as coming off your diet. To me it doesn't exist. If I eat more one day I eat less the next. I think its how skinny people eat!

3) Exercise is fun! This is a revelation! How is this possible? Well for me I'm very competitive so I do something where I am only competing with me - hence I always win!..and lose.

4) Just keep going. Sometimes, especially when you hit a plateau you just have to keep going. If you do keep going then you will succeed.

5) Believe! This diet has worked for me because I believed that it could. Its all about self belief.

6) Set up routines you can live with. For me I want the end of the diet just to be a continuation of what I am doing already. What i am doing now I am happy to carry on with forever. I think if you can't say that then you are going to have trouble adjusting to maintenance!

7) Plan for maintenance well before you get there. I've been planning maintaining my weight loss since before I lost any at all! I know its going to be hard. I know I'm not going to have the thrill of the scales going down. The maintainers forum here is great.

8) Don't get complacent. I was thinking yesterday that they say that if you do something for 3 months then it becomes routine, a habit hard to break. I've been doing this for a year. Could I go back to the mindless eating of before? In a heartbeat! I don't have the desire to do it but as a habit it is still ingrained. It would be so easy and that is the truth. I'm not proud of that but 35 years of routine compared to a year? I've got to stay vigilant.

9) Diet out of love not out of hate. I'm dieting because I want to live longer with my gorgeous fella, I want to have kids, I want to be healthy. I'm not dieting because I hate myself or my body. I think this helps me stay on the diet. I don't feel an overwhelming desire to eat anymore. When I did it was because I was angry with myself.

10) Do something else! Fixating on anything is exhausting! I've found I have lots more energy and confidence in my own ability to achieve. Because of this I've set up on online jewellery business. It gives me a real sense of achievement...so I get that plus my diet buzz. So I suppose really its about living now not later. Do what you want to do.

As for next year...

Well I am broody as **** so I'm wanting to get down to 224 max before we try for a baby. I'm 36 so can't afford to wait until I get to 140! So I need to lose another 32 before my next dietaversary in August 2007. Wish me luck!

ps I know I wouldn't have achieved what I have this year without 3FC. The forums here are full of great people and advice. There's always someone better off than you and always someone worse off than you. It helps you keep things in perspective!
coley144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Very inspiring! You made some great discoveries this past year, and I love your attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coley144
8) Don't get complacent. I was thinking yesterday that they say that if you do something for 3 months then it becomes routine, a habit hard to break. I've been doing this for a year. Could I go back to the mindless eating of before? In a heartbeat! I don't have the desire to do it but as a habit it is still ingrained. It would be so easy and that is the truth. I'm not proud of that but 35 years of routine compared to a year? I've got to stay vigilant.
I've been thinking about this point a lot recently and completely agree with you. I've heard people say you develop a habit after 21 days, but I don't know what they mean by that... sure, in 3 weeks it becomes easier to do and work into your life, but I've been doing this over a year and like you can see how easily I could slip back into old patterns...it's happened before, after all -- this isn't my first time on the merry-go-round! Remaining conscious of my choices and avoiding complacency will, I think, be my biggest challenge in the years ahead!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:57 AM   #3  
On My Way to Healthy!!!!

coley, congratulations to you on your weight loss and sticking to your plan.

I keep telling myself that in one year I would be down 52 pounds. But I don't know that for sure. I am about the same size you were when you started out and I would be thrilled at the 47 pounds and 31 inch loss. Get out a measuring stick and look at 31 inches. Or better yet try and pick up 50 pounds of sugar. You are doing great.

Looking forward to hearing from you in August of 2007. That will be my one year dietversary.
kcsmom76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

You post is very inspiring! It's the good "stuff" like this that helps us learn and keeps us going. Thank you for sharing. You are an inspiration. Keep up the good work!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:31 AM   #5  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Congrats Coley! You rock!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

Congratulations on your weightloss and your attitude! And thank you for sharing your experience...it's very helpful and inspiring.

Quote:
This one really hits home with me...and one that I need to work on daily since I've been there before,worked hard,and then stopped.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:47 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

on your weight loss! And thanks for sharing what you've learned. Food for thought, for sure.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:11 PM   #8  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Congratulations on sticking to your plan for a whole year. You have done marvelous and have such a great attitude. I know you will have continued success. WTG. Great job.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #9  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

I love this post! It really reflects a lot of my own beliefs about weight loss, I just never put them in writing before. Thanks for taking the time to do so!

Congrats to you on your loss and continued success in the coming year. Oh, and good luck with your plans for .
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:30 PM   #10  

Thanks everyone. It really helped me clarify my thoughts to write that post. And kcsmom76 - See you in a year. You can do it! Just remember anything you lose in a year is better than a gain!
coley144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:00 PM   #11  
No description available.

Your post is brilliant from the first word to the last. Truly, words to live by.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote