Old 08-22-2006, 08:31 AM   #1  

Default I don't know where to start

I don't know what plan would be right for me. I hate counting calories. I'm not so much overeating on sweets, but I love carbs. I'm pretty sure my recent gain is due to the stress that goes along with my upcoming move overseas. But, all of my clothes are starting to get tight, and I really don't have money to buy new ones!!! I need something pretty structured that I can follow.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Oh and I live on a very strict budget, so I need something cost effective. Sounds like I want it all.....
katgurl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

We all want it all! Welcome the Club Confusion!

Tell us what you ate yesterday. As best you can exactly with amounts.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:57 AM   #3  

I find Sugarbusters an easy plan to follow. You don't have to count anything but servings of starchy carbs- no more than three a day. You eat whole grains, and avoid high glycemic foods, like white flour, white rice, white potatoes, beets, pineapple, watermelon, bananas, and corn. Lean meats, vegetables, and fruits with some grains like brown rice, and 100% whole wheat bread is what I eat. Its an easy program to follow, and very healthy. You can make it as economical as you like... In the Sugarbusters forum on here we have a few chicks who have lost more than 100 pounds on the program.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:51 PM   #4  

How about we go for today, as I can't remember what I had yesterday. Today wasn't that great...but oh well.

Breakfast
Banana

Mid Morning Snack
Special K bar
3/4 of a bag of microwaved popcorn

Lunch
Thai Cole Slaw

Snack
Special K bar

Snack again...niece came to my work selling candy...brat!!!!
half a bag of skittles
half a bag of peanut m&ms

Dinner
Hamburger Steak
Cheesy mashed potatoes

To drink I normally have hot tea with splenda/milk with breakfast and then diet drinks the rest of the day
Old 08-23-2006, 07:55 AM   #5  

Ya know what? That's not as bad as you think. We won't go into the skittles and m&ms
If the only changes you made were to add a can of tuna in somewhere and have real vegetables instead of the cheesy mashed potatoes ... you'd be doing all right.
What's in Thai cole slaw?
Old 08-23-2006, 08:16 AM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

If you don't want to have to make drastic changes in what you eat (i.e., cutting out carbs or sugar or whatever), calorie counting really is your friend because you can have whatever you want, so long as you stay within your calorie limits. Of course, it is healthier to choose more whole/unprocessed foods (as in, no Special K bars and candy ), but you can lose weight just by counting the calories in the foods you already eat. I know you said you don't like calorie counting, but no matter what plan you're on, you're likely going to have to keep track of something, whether it's calories, grams of carbs, number of food group exchanges, WW Points...
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:22 PM   #7  

Thanks for the replies all! I really appreciate it. I am going to try some carlorie counting. Now I just have to find out how many I'm supposed to have each day to lose.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:37 AM   #8  

Ya know what, Katgurl76? You don't really need to know how many calories you need to start. Why don't you just figure out how many were in that day you listed above here and see if that's reasonable. Were you satisfied? Did you have enough energy?
We'll help you along.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:45 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Before I really started calorie counting, I just did 2 things: focused on portions, and started bringing lunch and snacks to work instead of eating lunch out of the vending machine!

I remember one of my first meals out was to a Bob Evans type breakfast place. My "normal" meal had been: eggs, bacon, biscuits, hash browns and a couple of pancakes. I didn't eat it all, but criminey, that's a lot of food.

So, instead of that, I ordered 2 scrambled eggs and an English muffin.

And, instead of pizza for lunch and fritos and candy for snacks, I brought food from home: sandwich or salad for lunch, and fruit, veggies, and granola bars for snacks.

Honestly, even though I count calories (and lots of other things) now, that basic plan is still there. I still eat less when I eat, and a key is bringing my own food (trying to be healthy) and not getting too hungry.

This does involve a bit of prior planning, but it's worth it!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:49 AM   #10  

And as for the expense part .... Heather? Your lunch is cheaper now isn't it?