The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 08-18-2006, 06:59 PM   #1  
MrsSandysHouse.com

S/C/G: 212.5/212.5/130ish

Height: 5'7

Question Question about book & dvds

Hi. My question is regarding Jillian's excercise schedule on which starts on page 226. I bought all 5 of her dvds and am going to use this schedule that is in her book. So, should I be using the workouts from her book (the circuits)or should I be using the dvds that have similar workouts?

Also, for those of you have do have all 5 dvds, I'm sure you guys know that four of them work the same muscles except they are different in content, so how do you rotate your dvds?

Lastly, I would be very interested in hearing about how you guys actually have your routine written. For example, I was going to buy a dry erase board and write out a two-week plan and also have the example excersices posted so that I can see it easier rather than flipping throught the book. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

-Sandy
Old 08-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #2  
MrsSandysHouse.com

S/C/G: 212.5/212.5/130ish

Height: 5'7

WOW! No body knows how to answer this, huh?
Old 08-19-2006, 09:56 AM   #3  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Sandy- you sound super organized. I know in the early days I was thumbing through the book a lot. I don't have the DVD's, just the book and that is what I follow. I say whatever motivates and encourages to do the workouts no matter how perfectly or scheduled you are is the way to go.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:16 PM   #4  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

How did I not notice this question until today?

Anyhoo...I have 2 of the DVD's...but I must confess I haven't done them in a really long time. I go to a gym - I actually bought the DVD's for while I was on vacation...I didn't really get into it.

As for how I used the circuits in the book - I have the routines from the book written out in a spiral notebook with cheat notes for exercises I was not familiar with at the beginning. (Which was most of them ) At the beginning I was pretty religious about doing them in order - now I pretty much just flip around in the notebook as my mood suits.

I don't see any reason why doing the dvd's would be any different - except that you might want to add some extra cardio for the dvd's that are only 1/2 an hour...I try to put an hour in each day (except rest days, of course). The main point of her giving so many different routines is to keep your body guessing and your metabolism revved up.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 08-20-2006, 06:34 PM   #5  
TwinkleGirl

S/C/G: 220/179/154

Height: 5'9"

I'm a member of Jillians online program through her website, which i pay for. And on it she sets out what exercises to do for each day, so i just follow that. She has said before to you need to give your muscles enough rest. For example, do a 'front' dvd on Mondays and Thurdays, and do a 'back' dvd on Tuesdays and Fridays and have a straight cardio day another day a week. That's pretty much how her online circuits work. If you're doing Jillians dvd's, i've heard her say in the past that they're not quite long enough. In her dvd's i think you usually do two 'routines or circuits' and you go through them twice. Jillian suggests rewinding the dvd and doing the circuit a third time, just to get a little more out of it. Although you could also add some cardio like chick suggested.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:26 AM   #6  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

TwinkleGirl - I didn't realize you were doing Jillian's online program. I get her free daily e-mails and enjoy them immensely. They often have just the message I need to hear for that day. Jillian rawks! Hey, where is that dancing carrot that used to be so easy to get to!!!!!
Old 08-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #7  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Jillian does RAWK!! I like the emails, too...
Old 08-22-2006, 03:25 AM   #8  
TwinkleGirl

S/C/G: 220/179/154

Height: 5'9"

Yeah ledom, i couldn't work out all the daily circuits by myself LOL! And i figured i'd join just to see what it was like, and i like it, even though nearly all of the stuff on the website is in her book!
Old 09-05-2006, 08:17 AM   #9  
Nikkii from Australia

S/C/G: 101/90/56

Height: 156cm

on a average week my routine consists of:
Mon,Tues,Wed,Friday - 6am - 7am
10 Min Interval Walk warm up on treadmil
80kg - Incline Leg press
20 reps x 2 sets Bosu Pushups(with 30 sec break between each set on all)
20 reps x 2 sets Leg Curls @10 kg
20 reps x 2 sets Reverse Flies @ 2.5kg
20 reps x 2 sets fitball crunches
20 reps x 2 sets v sits
15 second holds x 3 sets bridge/plank
20 mins cardio on Treadmil followed by stretching
in evening
Monday - Shape up front dvd
Tuesday - Shape up Back dvd
Wednesday - Maximize full frontal dvd
Thursday - Maximuize back in action dvd
Friday - Cardio Kickbox dvd with a friend

I also do Martial arts from 6.30pm to 8pm on thursdays.
Work on football grounds getting cardio on Saturdays!!
Sunday - DAY OFF

I have read the book inside and out 100's of times, and religiously do the dvd's, the key is when you do a workout, is alternate upper and lower body exercises for blood shunting hence to burn more calories.
There are so many variations of exercises (in book/dvd's)that will work muscle groups/individual muscle (isolating). The key there with the book/exercise programme is to find the exercises you can do without injury, that you enjoy, working different muscles ie..mine workout is pec's deltoids traps.....hamstrings,quads calves.......triceps, posterior deltiod, pecs, rotator cuff.......abs, Obliques,etc......hamsrings, iliopsoas,abs,.....core, abs, etc with cardio warm up and 20 min cardio.....followed by stretches such as pec stretch, arm stretches, etc..
You need to try these exercises advised in the book, and can mix them as well with what is in the dvd in your gym/cardio work out. I would generally tell my clients to do warm up, mixture of upper/lower body exercises they like as long as it is alternate for 10 reps x 2 sets to start with, on same day as video, or do 20 reps x 2 sets of each exercise on non dvd work out day...
Work within your limits....dont over do it or you may get negitive about exercising. You should change your routine every 6 weeks so your body doesnt become accustomed...ie chage weight/sets/reps or the type of exercise.
I work as a Sports Massage Therapist/ Sports trainer. I give advice and treat many with injuries relating to incorrect training leading to lower back/shoulder pain etc, and work along side personal trainers to optimise there exercise programmes according to there muscluarskeletal make up, as every one is different.
Good luck, i hope i have not confused you all
Regards Nikkii
Old 09-05-2006, 08:23 AM   #10  
Nikkii from Australia

S/C/G: 101/90/56

Height: 156cm

I forgot to mention it is great to invest in a heart rate monitor so when doing cardio you work within your heart rate measurement, so you are in the zone of burning fat! i know i am between 120 and 140 so when i walk etc on treadmil i keep within that range. If you are able to go to a gym, they may have the chest strap that when on treadmil, your treadmil will tell you your heart rate, or just pruchase the strap through polar...save you money if you dont need the watch. Beware of cheaper versions on ebay...they dont tell you a accurate measure...
Regards
Nikkii xxx