Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 10:16 PM   #1  

Height: 5'1"

Thumbs up Being Accountable: Weekly Challenge 5.

Weekly Challenge: #5

Are we ready for this week's challenge???

Challenge starts each Monday and ends on Sunday. And ANYONE is welcome to join!!

Each week you choose something that you really have a hard time doing, and you do it for the week. Say for instance, you really want to cut down on sugar and you know you can do that for at least a few days a week. You can choose how many days such as 3 or 4, up to all 7 ....(but no less than 3 please) and then commit yourself to it.

AND....it doesn't have to be all in a row either! You may decide to not eat sugar for 4 days. So on Monday you have no sugar, but on Tuesday you can have some, on Wednesday none, then Thurdsday...(you get the idea) As long as you complete the amount of days you committed yourself to.

You may choose limiting calories, getting in more exercise , drinking more water , eating less processed foods , taking a vitamin, journaling , counting carbs... whatever your need is - go for it! The choices are limitless!

So what do you think? Think we can commit to doing this? Let's give it a try!
Old 08-20-2006, 10:50 PM   #2  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

Another week down and I did okay all week. I walked again last night, 2 miles, so my walking was good for the week...and that wasn't even my challenge. I know I will walk at least 3-4 days and drink my water every day, those aren't hard. Food is what I am trying to control and I will continue with calorie counting and writing it down. But then I need to exercise more, so I will challenge myself to do either WATP or ride my bike at least 3 days this week.
Come join in and tell us your challenge for yourself.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:11 PM   #3  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

Jumping in with both feet as it were.

One thing I hate to do that I can commit to doing for a week? Breakfast. I don't normally get up for the day til 11 a.m. {I get up to get my oldest ready and off to school at seven but when I/Dh get back from dropping her off I usually go back to bed} so I don't even think about breakfast, let alone consume it. Except on weekends, when DH makes pancakes and eggs for everyone. So for this week I'm going to commit to eating breakfast every day.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:58 AM   #4  
GmaTo8

Sue - you did very well last week, and I have no doubt you'll do well this week, too.

mcat - welcome to a fellow Hoosier. So glad you're in the challenge with us, and I want to invite you to the Weight Loss and Chit Chat thread, too. Once you get used to breakfast, you might wonder how you ever did w/o it.

My challenge for the week will be food. Staying OP for all 7 days. I'm restarting WW, since I think I did better with that than just calorie counting. I lost 1/2 pound last week, but overate somewhat on both Thurday and Friday, so I'm just glad I lost anything. One good thing about WW is that I can bank some points for when I need them most.

Who else is with us this week??
Old 08-21-2006, 03:16 PM   #5  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I'm back and ready for a new challenge since I didn't do it last week. Mine this week will be exercise again. I skipped it last week. Got in a few walks but not enough to really say I did it. So...3 days at It Figures and 2 walking days is my challenge for the week. And I am off to a good start with getting It Figures in today...felt good.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:57 PM   #6  
GmaTo8

Yay, Cristina, glad to see you here. Now go drag Julie in here too, lol.

Well, ladies, guess what? Neal came home with a treadmill today. All that yammering paid off, lol. It's an Image 19.0 and has lots of bells and whistles on it that I'll probably never use, but I love it! He set it up in the bedroom, and it looks tacky, but oh well! I haven't got on it yet, but will in a little while.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 285/249/130

Height: 5' 2"

No vending machine junk all week. I'm going to stick to the healthy snacks, especially since I have some stowed in my desk already.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:53 PM   #8  
I can dream, can't I?

Day1- I got extra exercise by walking twice for 4+ miles total. Then I also did 2 ten minute sets of WATP moves.
For some reason today I couldn't get enough to eat. It was a real challenge to find things to nibble on that I could have. I am going to go back to eating often/small meals. That seemed to keep me satisfied and I lost more weight that week. (Of course, I realize when you start a program you lose more right at first) I will see how this week goes and go from there.

Good luck on your challenges ladies. I know you all can do it!
Old 08-22-2006, 01:32 AM   #9  

My challenge for today is JOURNAL everything!! How much I eat, what exercise I do, and how I feel about what I'm doing at the end of the day.

Give myself some kind of reflection on what my feelings are.

Now, I'm not an everyday journal writer...but I'll try. But I'm going to make this a 5 dayer challenge.

Sue-- Walking feels good when doing it. I've been wanting to walk bright and early in the morning but I just been doing my WATP and Gazelle. I would Love to just grab my MP3 and get some fresh air. Maybe sometime this week??

Mkat--Breakfast is a GREAT challenge. I did that for a 21day challenge way back when and I couldn't do it!! But now...it's getting easier. I figure the more I eat in the morning, the less I eat at night!

Jane--I'm SO JEALOUS!! I want a treadmill. But I don't think James thinks we'll use it much. I think I'd use it more than the gazelle. Plus, we don't have a lot of room. So I guess I just stay green w/envy here!

Cristina--Glad to see you back! Great idea for the challenge. Exercise is something I'm lacking. REALLY need to get on the ball......hmmm....maybe I should grab my exercise ball!!

Ifonly--Another challenge I've done! That's a hard one too! I have finally stopped bringing in any kind of money to work. No use wasting it on candy or chips!

I think we're going to do a great job this week gals!! Good luck and hugs to all!!
Old 08-22-2006, 08:34 AM   #10  

Marti - It gets worse... we've got free coffee, tea, hot chocolate, popcorn and marshmallows. Yes, marshmallows. Big fluffy marshmallows. And, I swear my company is trying to fatten us up. On the first day, the manager said "you will gain weight here" and then took me into breakroom where they had a spread for some upcoming meeting. There's free lunch on Fridays, usually mex, chinese, jason's deli, cuban, etc. Last Friday I had a plate of chips with fattening nacho cheese sauce. Plus, there's the monthly birthday celebration with the big cake and ice cream cups. And, the donuts, omg the DONUTS. I'm so sick of the smell and appearance of donuts around the office.
Some of the vending machine choices are better than simply walking into the breakroom, I swear. I can get a bagel w/cr cheese, peanuts, crackers, bottled water. But, then we have a little cafe and convenience store in the neighboring office building. A little walk across the driveway, I can get fresh fruit, salads, just ok cereal, etc. The cafe hot plates are horrible choices, though. Lasagna, chicken fingers (that's everyone loves), cheesy burgers, etc.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:53 AM   #11  
GmaTo8

Wow, we're doing great, ladies!

Marti - do you mean you're going to journal your food, or feeling? Either way, it's all good. Come on over, and I'll share my treadmill w/you.

Ifonly - yikes, your workplace is a landmine! It's good that you have salads, etc. so close across the driveway. Maybe you should be the one to ask for healthy foods at the job and promote health in general. Would they kick you out, lol?

Sue - just a thought, but make sure you're getting enough protein throughout the day. I have to have some at every meal, and save my cereal for before bed.

Cristi - how're you doing so far?

I stayed OP with the food, and got on the treadmill, too. I love that thing! Most of the news ones have a built in fan, and that's one feature that I like a lot. Plus, this one is much quieter than my old one.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:53 AM   #12  
I can dream, can't I?

OMG ifonly..no wonder it is hard to stay on program. I would gain weight just looking at all they bring on Fridays. I hope you will make the walk to where the healthy food is...plus you are getting extra steps walking there.

Got up and walked 2+ miles this morning and am feeling great. DH wants mac and cheese for dinner so I have to decide on something safe for me. His plan to do this with me has fallen to the wayside you see. But I am finding it easier to cook what he wants and still do my thing.

BBL...
Old 08-22-2006, 10:38 AM   #13  

Ifonly--Wow....do we work at the same place?? Ok...so we don't have marshmallows. But our company supplies food for every darn occasion I swear. And I know that I've gained weight while working there! Good luck to you!

Jane--Both. I want to journal my food/menu, my workout, and how I feel about how I did that day. Did this before. And it's always interesting to read it later on in life.
Just tell Neal that I want a treadmill too!

Sue--My alarm went off and I hit the snooze....then I just got up thinking " I NEED to do some form of exercise before work" Would like to walk but I think I'm going to gazelle it this morning.

Ok....I'll bbl to report my day.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:38 PM   #14  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Thumbs up Day 2 done!

MARTI...you sounded like me this morning. I set the alarm for 7 to be out of here by 7:30 to go for my walk and I rolled over, turned it off and rolled back over. I did not want to get out of bed this morning. I finally did though. Good for you for journalling. It really does help. I journal only once in a while but I printed off the monthly calendars on AOL and I write down my exercise, how much water I drink and whether or not I took my vitamins, and my WI on Monday. It really helps to see what I am doing.

JANE...what a nice surprise form Neal! And WTG on getting a walk in! I'm not a big fan of the treadmill because I so enjoy being outside more. But it does come in handy when the weather is too bad to get out, or I am too lazy to get dresses and get out. I can do it in my pj's, lol. But I am jealous...I didn't get one with a fan...have a floor fan sitting in front of me when I get on it. If I get too hot on that I tend to stop...that's another reason I go to the park, lol.

IFOnly...geez louise...I too would have a hard time at work with all that food! With so many companies and people being health conscious I am surprised. I agree with Jane, maybe you should bring up the health factor. Good challenge though...and you CAN do it!

SUE...good for you and all the exercise/walking! You are doing great!

Okay, so yesterday got in my It Figures and a mile walk to boot. And today I dragged my sorry butt out of bed and went to the park for a 2.5 mile walk. It was still actually pretty cool when I left at 9 which was good. So, so far, so good. I almost went to It Figures too and thought that is pushing it. I get in moods where I can't get enough exercise and then moods where I don't want to do any...seems there's never a middle for me. Got to try and stick with what I'm doing and not going overboard. Not sure if too much is ever too much though.

Keep up the good work ladies!
Old 08-22-2006, 02:43 PM   #15  

Jane - It was quite a feat to get bottled water in this place, but I finally did. I can't get them to stock fruit, but I tried. They said it isn't eaten fast enough. They tossed the ice cream machine. Usually they have bagels, peanuts, and some basic crackers though. They also have some light chips and such, but I don't really eat diet-y stuff.

Sue - Not much of a walk, it's just across the parking lot driveway. But I suppose every little bit is a good bit. We were out of breakfast this morning, so I walked across and grabbed a bagel, banana, some juice, and a big salad for lunch.

Marti - Yes, I think I've put on about 25 lbs in 2 years here.

To really illustrate my point, my cube-neighbor brought these football shaped donuts into work today to celebrate our recent work: http://www.krispykreme.com/
And, it's 2:30 in the afternoon, I haven't had any, and they're still over there. All day long, the team's been talking about them. Argh. I can smell and practically taste them. Super-Argh.
Closed Thread