Old 08-18-2006, 01:56 AM   #1  
FBD/8-18-08

Unhappy Is your menu plan "highlighted"?

Okay, I'm new. I got that. After only a few days, just when I thought I was catching on, the color changed as did the menu plan. Red. I like red. I'm good with red. No more dizzy spells or weak feelings. I like red.
Next let me say, I read the menu plan kit. All of it. I know that the bullets beside an item mean that it may be higher in calories, carbs, sugar, or sodium. However in our book, there are also highlights. My understanding of them in the blue book as well as in the red book, was that these items are not to be eaten 2 days in a row. So if I eat half a bagel on Monday, I can't eat the other half on Tues.
BUT now we've been told that not only can we not eat these items two days in a row, we can't eat any of these items on the same day or two days in a row. Now that means that if I fix a filet mignon, I can't fix 1/2 a baked potato or anything else that is highlighted in the book that day or the next day or the day before.
For some reason, this just got complicated!
We've been eating beef on Tues. and Fri. as a treat. So with that said, does that mean that I can't have a Lean Cuisine (allowed no more than 3X week) that has any type of beef, pasta or potatos in it, no oatmeal, any kind of rice, etc., on Mon, Tues., Wed., Thurs., Friday., or Saturday? Or, in other words, the only day left is Sunday?
According to dh's counselor, the answer is yes.

HELP! Is it really this difficult?

I'm sinking in a pit of menu planning muck. (Not to mention I just finished our menus for the whole week for the first time today - BEFORE dh called me to share this news)

By the way, he's lost 13# and I've lost 11.9 (new scale added .1) in our first two weeks.
Prazteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:25 AM   #2  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Pearl - you sure keep some late hours! Congrats on the weight loss. As far as the plans.........I'm going to have to defer to others. What you wrote just gave me a headache, but also made me go look at my Plan Book (Gold). There are no bullets or highlighting in my plan book (thank goodness). It says it is BEST to have a frozen meal every other day, but I can have up to 5 a week. The most important thing that LAWL stresses is that you get in all (no more; no less) of your food servings each day and that is pretty much the main rule I follow. Personally I would not stress about the little details.
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

OK... My post got lost... I HATE when that happens!!!

I agree with Joni - You're looking at a lifestyle change, and I wouldn't stress about the details. My book has bullets, but no highlighting. But... I was told that there are new books coming out. My COD had gold and blue, but not purple or red yet so I haven't gotten the new one.

That being said, maybe... DH could as COD if you could sit in with him on a counseling session since you are his meal planner and cook. Maybe they would make an exception so that you could understand what "he" (you both) are supposed to be doing. Just an idea.

But obviously you guys are doing GREAT from your losses so far. Don't sweat the small stuff!
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:12 AM   #4  

I am on Red 1 (white book, I thought was new, got in April I think) - but I dont have highlihgts -- I just double checked; I know they dont want you to eat the heavy starches together or too often, and just try and make lower calorie options.

I know when I do TO they say to limit it to chicken & seafood because the red meat takes longer to go through your system.

I think I'd ask to meet with the counselor as you do the cooking -- good luck!
Sue1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:18 AM   #5  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

pearl, What is the copyright date on the back of your menu planner book? I have never seen anything highlighted in any of my planner books. You either have a very new book, or it isn't the free to live program book. The program a couple of years ago was pretty restrictive like that and when they changed to the free to live, you could eat the foods in whatever combination you wanted just certain foods in moderation like heavy proteins, ie. beef, pork, shellfish, or like frozen dinners. I would have DH ask if that book is a free to live planner book. I would also say if what you have been doing is working for you and it sounds like it is, then keep doing what is working. I definitely go against LAWL's grain sometimes, but I know how my body reacts to foods better than they do.
MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:38 AM   #6  

Deb - What's the "free to live" book? My book is copyrighted 2005 and it says "balance, variety, moderation" on the front.

My COD said there are new books, though, that go with the handout that they gave us updated the exchanges (like when they added 3 ribs of celery instead of 1). They only had gold and blue, but not the purple and red plans. They said they are getting them any day.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:39 AM   #7  

Dammit - Where Is My Glittermaker Signature????
Old 08-18-2006, 11:39 AM   #8  
FBD/8-18-08

I'm sorry I wasn't clear about the highlights. The counselor highlighted these items. And of course the problem is that dh is the one that goes and gets his "hand slapped". I just wanted to know what you guys thought or were doing. I was thinking it may the counselor's idea and not necessarily the program's.
The copyright on this book "Menu Plan Kit Your Personalized Program" is 2005. it doesn't say "free to live" anywhere in it.
As I said, we are very please so far and we're enjoying the foods I've been preparing. I guess I'm just not in the mood for any more kinks in the chain. Thanks for letting me rant!
Have I mentioned how awesome you all are?!?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:41 AM   #9  
FBD/8-18-08

Cassi - we're typing at the same time! HI!
I have THAT book like yours. So your counselor didn't highlight a bunch of stuff when you got your book? I got the additional page (celery 3 ribs) too.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:43 AM   #10  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Pearl-

The bottom line is your weight loss. You're both doing fantastic-so why change anything? If your weight stalls for more than 2 or 3 weeks, then you can work those "rules" in. You'll lose fast at first and then slow down to 1-2lbs a week. Don't let that freak you out. It's a good thing for long term weight loss and keeping it off.

I personally am not a big believer in some of these "rules". Everybody's body is different and reacts to different foods in different ways.

I have a point here somewhere Sorry for being all over the place . . .
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:00 PM   #11  
Deb on LAWL

The Free to live is the program, not the book. The LAWL program used to be very restrictive, and that is probably where that counselor is getting that from and highlighting in the book. When I hit my plateau, a counselor that had been around forever marked in my book the things that I should only eat once or twice a week from the old program. She also made up a list of foods that I shouldn't combine together until I broke the stall. You guys are just starting out and I think you should do what works. If you hit a stall then you can pay more close attention to the highlighted things, but for now, keep up with what you are doing.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:25 PM   #12  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Deb - everytime I see your avatar, I smile. What are their names?

Cassi - your signature name is glittering on my PC; so is Evette's. Not sure what you are not seeing, but it appears to be there.
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:50 PM   #13  
Deb on LAWL

Joni-Thanks- My "kids" are cute aren't they?!? The one on the right is Dizzer (DH picked that name out, but he lives up to it) He will be 3 next month. The one on the left is Jed, he is 9 years old and a monster at 110 lbs. If DH had his way, we'd have 10 of those chocolate things running around. Your little one is a cutie too!

Cassi- I can't see your siggy or JulieMaries, but Sherry's came back after being MIA for a while. Everybody elses is there.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:07 PM   #14  

I'M BACK, JACK!

I re-did my glitter signature.

Thanks, Deb